Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music school in WIT

Options
  • 25-07-2010 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    Just wondering if anyonehere's studied Music in WIT, I've a notion to go and do a music degree there, and wondering what the course is like, the campus, lecturers etc.
    Any info is appreciated,
    Cheers,
    WP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

There's a guy here on boards......argh can't remember his nickname, friend of mine went to the course.

He had nothing but nice things to say about it. In truth, I've heard only good things about the dept., but bad things about the college as a whole. I think it has the highest ratio of students to drink consumption in Ireland. Not a bad thing if thats what you're into. Could just be hearsay as well.

Anyways, my advice would be to post this on the WIT forum! Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Don't know much about it...Malcolm Proud is a lecturer there, and he's a legend! Otherwise a girl I know went there and was getting on fine until they cut her lesson times down to practically nothing and now she's trying to transfer to Maynooth, so...

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Also, I would love to go to a college called Wit, but just for the name. It's feck better than Dit at any rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

wet-paint wrote: »
    Hey folks,
    Just wondering if anyonehere's studied Music in WIT, I've a notion to go and do a music degree there, and wondering what the course is like, the campus, lecturers etc.
    Any info is appreciated,
    Cheers,
    WP

I graduated from the course a few years ago, my girlfriend graduated this year. It can be a good course depending on what you want to get from it. I don't mean to be cryptic or anything but the standard of teaching varies quite a bit depending on what genre you want to study and what instrument.

What is your main instrument?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I'm a singer.
    I mainly want formal training, to go and get a real singing gig in a professional choir, but have a keen interest in pretty much every angle of what I'm being exposed to for the last year, as a session singer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

Hey folks,
    Any info is appreciated,
    Cheers,
    WP
    I'm a singer.
    I mainly want formal training, to go and get a real singing gig in a professional choir, but have a keen interest in pretty much every angle of what I'm being exposed to for the last year, as a session singer.

ok, I'm fairly well placed to talk to you so, I studied singing as my major :) The course has changed dramatically over the last few years. It used to be very strictly classical(I was the last year of the old course) but they have now opened the course up to jazz and pop. The upside is more variation, the downside is that you don't get an in depth knowledge of any particular area, but more of an overview if that makes sense. This only applies to music theory/history. If you want to study classical singing then that's what you will get. I generally look at it as a decent performance course but probably not as good as it could be on music theory.

Bridget Knowles is now the main classical singing teacher in the college. She never taught me but I helped out with the choir this year as they were short on males so I got to see how she works at that. My dad has worked with her and has lots of respect for her, my girlfriend had her for a semester and thought she was great so I reckon you couldn't do a whole lot better from what I have heard.

There is another teacher called Niall Crowley. I have done quite a bit with Niall over the last few years(He is the bass tutor on the Irish Youth Choir) and he is really good at improving technique. I would happily recommend him as a teacher.

Anything else I can help with?

Advertisement