Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CDROM Lite-on issue

• 25-07-2010 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey all. I intend to read more of the conversations posted here soon- really helpful stuff!

BUT in the meantime- I've got a whopper of a problem and it's driving me berserk. Can't wait to move to apple mac.:mad:

Here goes:

Have a compaq presario sr1719uk. Runs XP home edition. Old gear for storage basically! But the CDROM drive has gone nuts after a firmware upgrade. It blinks and is found my the system but it doesn't let me access cds inserted.

I want to basically uninstall the device and delete all the drivers associated with it so that when I do reconnect it the PC will use the original driver and not the upgraded one.

This is proving impossible. The Bios reads the CDROM drive as the nerw firmware version and not the old one.

So basically, I need some advice on what to do. I cant do a clean windows install because the PC identifies the new firmware which isn't compatible with the device seemingly.. which means the drive won't read the windows CD when I try to clean install from cdrom.

Any takers?

Already tried removing the cmos battery to rest the bios.. but the flipping cdrom firmware remains.. thought it might work.. but it didn;t..

If someone can solve this... I'd nearly send them an itunes voucher! It's not worth my while getting a tech dude on it... just a back up pc. But nonetheless would like to fix the issue.

Cheers,
    A.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

not what you want to hear probably but there is no possible way for normal user to roll back the firmware on a cd-rom drive.. if the pc is ok otherwise its not a major problem. a new drive should be €30 max if its a standard non writer drive.. I think you should quit while your ahead btw, dont wreck your pc:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 stopmenow

PS... the drive was originally a lite-on SHW-160P6S before update firmware.

I can follow most instructions... :P. I'd try!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

corkcomp wrote: »
    not what you want to hear probably but there is no possible way for normal user to roll back the firmware on a cd-rom drive.. if the pc is ok otherwise its not a major problem. a new drive should be €30 max if its a standard non writer drive.. I think you should quit while your ahead btw, dont wreck your pc:D

+1 should be able to get one cheap, people throw away old computers with working dvdrws every day. Try adverts maybe?

Cheers, sure I'll just pick up a usb dvdrw drive.
    Thanks nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

POWER OFF PC,REMOVE pc POWER PLUG FROM SOCKET, replace the dvdrom with a standard cdrom drive.GET one on adverts ie,free ,on free stuff, or buy 4 ten euro.
    Disconnect the dvd from the cable,and plug in the cdrom drive.
    BE careful,even when pc is turned off ,power goes thru the motherboard and drives.See here free pcs,http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9
    then just use it to install windows, set cdrom in bios, boot=0=cdrom 1st boot device.

Advertisement