Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A few questions on the etape hibernia

• 25-07-2010 5:14pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Myself and my sister have entered in the etape hiberia this august, having enjoyed the Wicklow 100 earlier in the year, and looking to progress. Having re-read the rules, I noticed the following;
    No bicycle, tandem or other machine, conventional or otherwise, is permitted to have unconventional handlebars including triathlon bars, aero bars, clip-ons, prayer bars, and cow bars. Neither is Spinachi type bars permitted. However, ATB bar ends are permitted on mountain bikes.

Now my bike is a Kellys Neos hybrid, and my sisters is a Dawes (not a racer) though she may borrow a proper road bike for the event. Does the Neos have unconventional handlbars as described above?
    Cyclists must adhere to the minimum average speed of 14mph. Cyclists falling behind this will be given the option of returning to Ennis in the sweep vehicle or can complete the course on open roads, having handed in their timing chip and race number to the sweep vehicle.

So given 84 miles (have these guys not heard we use kilometres in this country?) you have to finish the course in 6 hours. I did 115k through sally gap, blessington, wicklow gap yesterday (see route attached), with in a pretty woeful 6hr20min, albeit getting lost and having to check the map a few times. Now I reckon the extra climbs should make up for the 20k difference in distance, but I probably still need to up the speed to complete in time. Any tips for getting that tiny bit of extra pace over another 4 weeks of training? Just looking to complete in time and comfort, nothing fancy, and don't want to ditch the Neos.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

The bikes will be grand, nothing wrong with the bars on them -it's more to deal with Time Trial type setups, which can be dangerous when used in a bunch.

As for the speed, I suspect you may be fine -if you get in with a group, you'll be pulled along a lit faster than you realise... either way, give it a go and see how you get on! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

smacl wrote: »
    Any tips for getting that tiny bit of extra pace over another 4 weeks of training?

Practice eating on the bike.

Energy comes from: muscle/liver glygogen, fat burning, food. The first two can't be trained much over a short period, but if you neglect the last you'll bonk, which is the thing most likely to cause you to fail.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lumen wrote: »
    Practice eating on the bike.

Energy comes from: muscle/liver glygogen, fat burning, food. The first two can't be trained much over a short period, but if you neglect the last you'll bonk, which is the thing most likely to cause you to fail.

Heh, had to look up wikipedia for the meaning of bonk in this context. Can't see the missus being too pleased if i tried to explain to her that my slow time was down to bonking en-route, sportive or not ;)

Been drinking mostly water and eating snickers bars and bananas to date, changing to isotonic sports drinks and energy bars should keep the glycogen levels ok. Might try the same route on better fuel this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Joxer_S

They had stated that the minimum speed was 14mph, and somewhere else had stated that it was 13mph, so I emailed them for confirmation about it and they told me, no, it's ...

13.5mph!

Advertisement