Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My computer

Options
  • 25-07-2010 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

I want to get the specs for my computer so i can see what ye think. How do i do this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭gamer_Niall

if you go onto control panel it should be somewhere there "performance"

i think you can also right click "My Computer" in the start menu and click properties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭wcp1200

i can only get the processor and ram this way. I was wondering if there is a program that can tell me the name of motherboard graphics card ect. Its an alienware pc that i got like 2.5 years ago for 2500.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Speccy is a nice freeware tool which is what you exactly need :)

Nick

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Start > Run > dxdiag

Should tell you CPU model, usable RAM capacity, mobo manufacturer and mobo model number. Display tab should tell you what GPU you have, and Sound tabs will tell you what sound chip and what modems are in there :)

Graphics drivers usually have a tray utility (CCC for AMD, nTune or something for nVidia?) and the exact graphics card model can usually be found in there.

yoyo wrote: »
    Speccy is a nice freeware tool which is what you exactly need :)

Nick
    This worked.

Operating System
    MS Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP1
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 @ 2.66GHz 34 °C
    Yorkfield 45nm Technology
    RAM
    4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 420MHz (6-7-7-31)
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5N-D (Socket 775)
    Graphics
    @ 1680x1050
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 (nVidia)
    Hard Drives
    488GB NVIDIA STRIPE 465.77G (SCSI)
    Optical Drives
    HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NP20 ATA Device
    Audio
    High Definition Audio Device

Can ye tell what ye think of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

wcp1200 wrote: »
    This worked.

Operating System
    MS Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP1
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 @ 2.66GHz 34 °C
    Yorkfield 45nm Technology
    RAM
    4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 420MHz (6-7-7-31)
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5N-D (Socket 775)
    Graphics
    @ 1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    488GB NVIDIA STRIPE 465.77G (SCSI)
    Optical Drives
    HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NP20 ATA Device
    Audio
    High Definition Audio Device

Can ye tell what ye think of it.

Not a bad machine m8 :) Upgrading to Windows 7 would be the only suggestion but that should comfortably play new games and run stuff etc...

Nick

Memory sounds odd... why 840MHz @ CL6 with such insane tRAS? Even on CL7 that tRAS should be around 20, and certainly <25... not 31! :eek:

Aside from that are you sure that CPU isn't already OCd? If it is still running at stock I'd OC it to over 3GHz, should give a nice boost :)

ya its not overclocked. Its an alienware computer. But will this be ok for a while in terms of keeping up with games ect.

Should do fine, especially with the CPU past 3GHz. Is that two GTX260s in there? :confused:

Solitaire wrote: »
    Should do fine, especially with the CPU past 3GHz. Is that two GTX260s in there? :confused:
    ya 2. why? How can i make sure both are working together.

• Advertisement

Either the game likes SLI, or it doesn't :o Apart from that keep an eye out for both driver updates and revised opinions from other GTX260 SLI users over which driver release is the happiest and has the highest compatibility. Twin GTX260s is an extremely solid platform even today, especially in a game where the two cards can actually run in tandem :D

Really its all about tweaking the mobo's BIOS settings (and maybe upgrading the cooling if necessary, no idea what's already in there) to boost your CPU speed and hopefully RAM performance. After that you're set for a good while yet ;)

Advertisement