Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business - extra 20 minutes needed?

• 25-07-2010 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

So I was taking down my LC 2010 timetable today.(i know a bit late)
    But I noticed the extra 20 minutes were added to Geo, English and History and i thought that 20 minutes should be added to the Business exam.

I can't speak for everyone but I know that timing is more essential in business than any of the exams that the 20 minutes weren't added on to.

What do you think? Should 20 minutes be added on? Or should it remain the same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

irish_man wrote: »
    But I noticed the extra 20 minutes were added to Geo, English and History and i thought that 20 minutes should be added to the Business exam.

I can't speak for everyone but I know that timing is more essential in business than any of the exams that the 20 minutes weren't added on to.

There's no point in over-analysing it tbh. Everyone gets the same paper & the same time limit. If you & the 'competition', ie every other candidate, all get an extra 20 minutes, then it's all relative. No matter what the time is set at, there is a bell curve for the grades obtained and the D.O.E. will always make sure it is there.

It's possible to get an A1 without finishing the required questions 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

its not as much of a race against time as history i think.If you time it write in business its possible to get everything you need to get down for full marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭STBR

Yes I've been saying this exact same thing since the exams.

I was pretty much the only person doing HL Business in my centre to get an answer down for every question needed, and for the last couple I had to resort to bullet points.

It was also the only exam I had severe hand cramps from :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Triarius

Our teacher spent as much if not more time lecturing us on timing than on actually teaching us business, the course is extremely expansive and interesting but at the end of the day the difference between an A and a B student is more likely to come down to which student has the faster hand rather than which student has a greater knowledge of the subject, I think an extra twenty minutes sounds fair enough but there's so much to learn that a four and a half hour time limit wouldn't be too much IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Why dont we add 20 minutes onto every exam then. If the SEC / DOE think its a good idea they will give the extra time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

Duffman'05 wrote: »
    There's no point in over-analysing it tbh. Everyone gets the same paper & the same time limit. If you & the 'competition', ie every other candidate, all get an extra 20 minutes, then it's all relative. No matter what the time is set at, there is a bell curve for the grades obtained and the D.O.E. will always make sure it is there.

It's possible to get an A1 without finishing the required questions 100%.

Of course its possible. Take 20 minutes off any exam and people will still get A1s. However I think its unfair that someone drops down to pass because of problems with timing. I know it does sound silly but it does happen.

The extra 20 minutes would make it much more manageable. I just thought it was odd that when they were adding 20 min on to exams they didn't think to add 20 to business.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

I know this is a bit of a zombie thread but its still relevant. I didn't want to start a new one when there was one already there. I didn't have enough time this year just as I didn't have enough time last year.

So what does everybody think is an extra 20 minutes needed in the business exam???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I know this is a bit of a zombie thread but its still relevant. I didn't want to start a new one when there was one already there. I didn't have enough time this year just as I didn't have enough time last year.

So what does everybody think is an extra 20 minutes needed in the business exam???

Definetly. Lost between 30-50 marks for timing, and I could easily have done the Break even chart and gotten full marks and attemted the methods of risk managment question.

Happy though in general. Was a very nice paper I thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Don't know how I did itbut I managed to get it done with 20 mins to spare! My hands killing me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

I managed to get it done in 2 hours 45 minutes. When I left at 5 there were girls still writing so they had to finish up (didn't get a chance to talk to them afterwards so I don't know how much they had left to do).

I think for most people 3 hours is too little. It would be better having to do some more short questions (maybe 12 out of 15) and 1 less long question (1 from each section and an extra).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I would have loved an extra 20 minutes- would have gotten the last question done properly. I couldn't write any faster than I was writing or my writing would have been illegible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I got it done 15 minutes early, and wrote A LOT for each question, people just need to stop wasting time in the exam and actually write constantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lisabisa

I was just saying that! I have fast writing and got it finished, but did have to do bullet points for one part (c) and was writing until the last second. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

AdamD wrote: »
    I got it done 15 minutes early, and wrote A LOT for each question, people just need to stop wasting time in the exam and actually write constantly.

I wrote constantly and fast and barely spent any time thinking about the questions beforehand and I still only barely finished the exam. Just because you were able to do it doesn't mean most other people were.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

would have liked more time but sure can't be helped, its how they sort out the grades i guess :/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

flyaway. wrote: »
    I wrote constantly and fast and barely spent any time thinking about the questions beforehand and I still only barely finished the exam. Just because you were able to do it doesn't mean most other people were.

People need to practice then, fast writing isn't a natural skill..its something that happens with practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

flyaway. wrote: »

^ This. The timing for Business is ridiculous. The exam is not about how fast you can write it's about how much detail you can write and how well you know your stuff. It makes it so much worse because Irish PII (three hours 20 mins) was in the morning! Most people I spoke to didn't finish the exam, you literally didn't have any time to think! It should be at least half an hour longer or else two papers. Better yet we should get to type it.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

AdamD wrote: »
    People need to practice then, fast writing isn't a natural skill..its something that happens with practice.

Obviously everyone has been writing constantly for the past year doing ALL kinds of Leaving Cert questions (not to mention that we've been writing since Junior Infants). People not going to get faster buy doing a few extra questions. The exam is not about how fast you can write, plus it makes it far more difficult for the examiners trying to correct messy writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭sarah.

Was thinking just that the other night that you could do with a few minutes extra just to catch your breath. That said I finished up with about 4 minutes to spare although I do write very quickly anyway! Just happy to have it over with now and a lot of people did have difficulties with the timing so it will be marked accordingly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 daex

Definately coulda done with twenty minutes.
    saying that, If i'd have written faster I would have been fine.
    I really do pity my corrector though, my writing's hard enough to read with out the rush-scribbling of exams!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Gav77

yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

Not a bad paper overall pretty happy, but ya timing is incredible. I'm pretty fast a writing and I still literally finished at 5, what I don't like is the way they put Irish paper two and Business on the same day, if I had chosen another subject instead of business I'd have a week to study for it, and I wouldn't be trying to look over business and Irish p.2 in the same night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

For pass, no. There was plenty of time. I got question 1, 2, 5, 6, 7 and the short section all fully complete with 2 mins to spare.

Advertisement