Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lower Dominick street, henry street to be closed for the races.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Its a good idea alright and hopefully will draw people away from Quay/Cross street areas which are usually bananas with crowds and street drinking.

Not sure though how the locals down the Whest will feel about all that drinking, music, noise and messing on their doorstep. Better get the ear plugs in or else leave town for the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

skelliser wrote: »
    These two streets are gonna be closed next weekend (29th to 1st) 7pm to 2am like they do in cross street to try and get the crowds down the wesht!
    They are also gonna set up a stage near monroes with live music!!

Should be good!!

http://www.galwaynews.ie/13966-street-join-party-zone-pedestrian-only-plan-approved

Brilliant!!!!

Wish I lived in my old place on the corner of Henry St/Dominick St. as i did some 17 years ago!!! Class memories:D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Anyone know where they intend to put traffic?

And is there any chance that the corpo will put up proper diversion signage for tourists. This has been lobbied for for 4 years, which resulted in them making road closed signs but leaving them face down on the side of the roads all week.

One business on Cross Street offered to pay for and erect signage to help tourists find there way around, but it was rejected by the corporation on the grounds that it wouldn't look right having a business do what the corporation should be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

These two streets are gonna be closed next weekend (29th to 1st) 7pm to 2am like they do in cross street to try and get the crowds down the wesht!
    They are also gonna set up a stage near monroes with live music!!

Should be good!!

http://www.galwaynews.ie/13966-street-join-party-zone-pedestrian-only-plan-approved

traditionally this was where you went to avoid the crowds

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Oh great so I live at the docks and have my family home in Henry Street.
    Now I can't get home with a bottle of wine to either house without walking a mile around the fenced off streets or spending the usual 20 min arguing with some security clown who thinks he's a cop for the day. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

what great news. the one place where you used to be able to get away from the muck savages and plebs, and now they've gone and wrecked it. hooray. what genius came up with this idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

ah. apparently the publicans lobbied for this. surprised at that really, but i guess money talks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

The one thing that annoys me is the "no cans" bollox. Brought in under the pretence of safety over broken glass.
    When its just greedy publicans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

heard monros have pulled out of this now

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

I heard that the cops didn't give it the go ahead...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I heard i'm a great ride, doesn't mean it's true though.

Lads if ye're gonna start spreading rumours, at least provide a reliable source

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

Most Race attendees from outside Galway, think Galway has only one street, Quay street. The West never really gets busy as the center of town during Race week if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Eman Resu wrote: »
    Most Race attendees from outside Galway, think Galway has only one street, Quay street. The West never really gets busy as the center of town during Race week if I recall correctly.

And I wish it would remain the same. Leave Quay St. for what it is - a tourist trap with over-priced pints, and leave the Whestttt to us townies :pac: That said, it'll be funky having Domnick St pedestrianised for the weekend, i'm just surprised that someone hasn't been seriously injured on that road at night yet - people literly falling all over the place every night of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 21 nievus89

The one thing that annoys me is the "no cans" bollox.
    "no cans"?? I thought that they generally let it slide during race week and allowed cans on the street, theyve never been taken off me!:confused: hope it doesnt change as the queues for the bar are insane!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Seems this isnt going ahead. Traffic flowing freely around dominick street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Thank fcuk for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭BornToBe?

Was talking to one of the business owners down there and he said the fire brigade wouldn't allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

Everything actually got the go-ahead however, typical city council they didnt approve it until the last minute. The logistics of organise an event of that size and keeping the reputation of the westend was just too much to do in 10days.

Wait until next year, will be running but different (better) than the latin quarter.

Advertisement