Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King of Leon bottle a gig because of bird poo

Options
  • 25-07-2010 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

King of Leon quit a gig early because of a bird with EXCELLENT aim.

Seriously, the bassist couldn't just have a drink of water and get on with it? I've always found KoL really annoying, but now I have absolutely no respect for them. Blaming the venue for it? Giving up on all their fans?

A band has a duty to entertain. KoL seem not to care about that duty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

A band has a duty to entertain. KoL seem not to care about that duty.

Right I am not a kings of lean fan by any strech of the word, however I compltly disagree I wasnt just ones or twice the previous bands were covered in it, they shouldnt have put it with it either
    the promotor should have issues with the venue like this sorted, would you continue to work covered in bird ****? I know I wouldnt why should musicions be any different.

gig should have been canceled fans get their money back and the promotor is out of pocket because he didnt sort issues

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Music/07/24/kings.of.leon.pigeons/?hpt=T2#fbid=xNwdSzs9eQt
    longer version of the issue in this link, no band should perform in those conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

No band should be expected to perform in those conditions, but what happened to bands going that extra bit for their fans? It's only a bit of bird ****, it won't kill anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

El Pr0n wrote: »
    No band should be expected to perform in those conditions, but what happened to bands going that extra bit for their fans? It's only a bit of bird ****, it won't kill anyone.

If it was just one bird **** id agree, being covered in the stuff could catch a number of things.

I dont buy this bands should push through it for thier fans thing, they are people too they shouldnt bee expected to work in filty conditions out of some perceived obligation to there fans.

It's not the same as other jobs. For most people, you only get one chance every year or two to see a band. Now if you're a proper die-hard fan, looking forward to a gig for a year or more, how disappointed would you be to see your favourite band giving up? It wouldn't take too much for a band to dig a little more and push through, and it would mean the world to an audience.

What would Springsteen do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

It's not the same as other jobs. For most people, you only get one chance every year or two to see a band. Now if you're a proper die-hard fan, looking forward to a gig for a year or more, how disappointed would you be to see your favourite band giving up? It wouldn't take too much for a band to dig a little more and push through, and it would mean the world to an audience.

he would sing a song there and then about bird poo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Nothing. Jon Landau would probably take one look at the pigeon-filled rafters of the venue during the soundcheck and pull the gig due to unsanitary conditons.

I'm no Kings of Leon fan, but those circumstances are totally unacceptable, and I'd actually give them credit for even attempting to do the show at all. The alternative is that one or more of them get sick, and they have to pull more shows, leaving more "die-hard" fans disappointed,

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Are you serious? It's not a bit of water dropping on their heads, it's bird sh1t FFS! There were reports of him getting it in his face. :/
    I'm sorry, but no one should have to work in those conditions, not even primadonna rock stars!

Would you do it?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Would you do it?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yes.
    When then you're a fool.

Massive lol

:D

"If you're good, you attract good things in your life, if you're $hit, well, you attract $hit!"

But in all seriousness, that CNN report is SO spun by their management it's unreal!
    Article wrote:
    An infestation of the birds in the rafters of the Verizon Amphitheatre bombarded the musicians as soon as they took the stage, according to Andy Mendelsohn of Vector Management.

Yeah, thats some nice impartial opinion there.
    article wrote:
    "We couldn't believe what The Postelles and The Stills looked like after their sets," Followill said. "We didn't want to cancel the show, so we went for it. We tried to play. It was ridiculous."

Didn't want to play or contractually obliged to do the show?

Christ, it's a bit of bird poop, yes it's fowl (sorry!) but a bit of water would've been fine.

Oh, and the final LOL
    "I was attacked, Mom, but not by humans,"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

I don't care if i was headlining Slane with Zeppelin as my backing band. If i was covered in feathered rat ****, on my clothes, in my mouth, my hair, i'd be off in an instant. No man should be expected to work when they are literally covered in ****.

I don't care if i was headlining Slane with Zeppelin as my backing band. If i was covered in feathered rat ****, on my clothes, in my mouth, my hair, i'd be off in an instant. No man should be expected to work when they are literally covered in ****.

Whatever happened to "The show must go on" mantra?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    When then you're a fool.

That's a bit over the top, is it not? If I was the bassist, spit it out, get a drink of water, and put the ****ing bass back on. For a band that acts like they want to look badass, with scruffy beards and leather jackets and rock and roll, they're gonna let a little discomfort put them off?

I'm really surprised by how much of a 'they shouldn't be expected to work in those conditions' attitude is coming through here. What happened to the tenacity that used to go along with rock music? While I agree that their employers shouldn't ask them to, the band shouldn't give up like that. Where's the passion and disregard? The loyalty to the fans?

What about The Clash and The Sex Pistols and their ilk, who would play while their fans were spitting all over them? GG Allin playing covered in his own ****, let alone bird ****. Kurt Cobain throwing himself into a drum kit while Krist and Dave were destroying all their instruments? Keith Moon blowing the drum kit up while The Who play on?

And King of Leon get shat on a bit and pussy out after three songs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭palethinboy

It's only a bit of bird ****e! i bet Keith Richards would've snorted it!

Kings of Leon are pussies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Doubt they'd walk off if they were touring their first album...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

They could have gone off, the unfortunate target could have changed/washed, then they could have come back out...equipped with umbrellas.

Instant unique gig and immortality!

Just thought of another good comparison; Jedward kept going with a gig after one of them tore their cruciate ligament - I've heard that's one of the most painful injuries one can sustain. I think it's pretty fair to say Jedward are better showmen than Kings of Leon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

A bird **** on me on my communion when I was 8 and I cried, then I got an ice cream and I was happy as Larry. They are pussies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

If I was shat on once, I'd just get on with it.

If I was shat on repeatedly, I'd put on one of those waterproof ponchos and then get on with it (and then bollock the promotor out of it).

If 10,000 people have paid €50 each, waited weeks/months for the gig to come around, rushed home from work, got changed and done their makeup (as required), got a taxi into town and then watched the crappy support act, waiting for me to do my thing. I'd feel pretty crappy cancelling the gig without knowing I had done absolutely EVERYTHING in my power to keep the show on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Kings of Leon are poo

FYP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Pussies. I would have got that bird and shat in it's mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 guitarfan

Douche bag pretty boy poseurs. This is what happens when boy bands learn guitar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭palethinboy

Just thought of another good comparison; Jedward kept going with a gig after one of them tore their cruciate ligament - I've heard that's one of the most painful injuries one can sustain. I think it's pretty fair to say Jedward are better showmen than Kings of Leon.

This really does show you though, i mean Jedward are clearly more dedicated than the Kings of Leon. what next, walking off stage because someone shouted mean things at them.

just because they are successful doesn't mean they shouldn't have to put up with things like this from time to time. Life is not always easy, the sooner you learn to deal with this the easier it would be to enjoy a gig with birds taking aim! I think it'd be quite funny.

Bearded Pussies!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

I think it's pretty fair to say Jedward are better showmen than Kings of Leon.
    This really does show you though, i mean Jedward are clearly more dedicated than the Kings of Leon.

To be fair, as vacuous as they seem, I'm sure John and Edward are well aware that Jedward is a fad, and that they have about a year at most to make as much money as they can from this public interest in them.

I'd imagine KOL assume they have greater longevity than that, and they probably assume that they won't lose a huge amount of fans for this, given the dedication that fans show to other musicians, Pete Doherty being a prime example (has he managed to make it to an Irish gig yet?).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

fair play to the pigeons if i got the chance id do the same to kol.i actully hate them with a passion.i love pigeons now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

can't believe all the people saying that's understandable you shouldn't have to work in those conditions etc :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

89520291AP005_KINGS_OF_LEON151027--300x450.jpg

Don't you know how hard it is to remove bird crap from a leather jacket?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

I can think of dozens of jobs that people have to do in worse, dirtier or more dangerous conditions than this, every day. None of them pays as well as being a rock star. Not many of them will get you groupies either.

I love their music but this is pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Kings of Leon are pussies

Hells yeah! Sure didnt Slash get rugby tackled during the solo of Sweet Child of Mine and he just regained is composure and kept playing.

• Advertisement

I was thinking about this a bit over the last few days. I know for musicians, a gig is just another job, and when you're playing as many shows the size of that like Kings of Leon do, the excitement of playing out is probably diminished.

But for a fan, a gig is a hell of a lot more than watching someone doing their job. Bruce Springsteen said something along the lines of, there might be someone in your audience who's going through a hard time, or can only afford one gig that year, and really needs to see something special to make it worthwhile, and a performer is in a position to really give that person the lift they need. Wayne Coyne said something similar.

So for that guy in the audience who came out to the gig hoping he's something a little special to cheer him up during his hard time, how do you think he felt about Kings of Leon packing it in 'cause they couldn't be bothered putting up with a little ****?

Advertisement