Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread Of The Day

Options
  • 25-07-2010 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭

Todays thread of the day is this

Which was locked fairly quickly and IMO justifiably by the mods in AH.

I know that the thread of the day is a random thread but perhaps there should be a review mechanism in place in case at some point a proper trolling thread is given what looks like a boards.ie endorsement to an outsider.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Thats a rather unfortunate thread to be tagged with thread of the day. I do appreciate that most regualar users of boards.ie know that this is an automated and random thing, however for every one of us that know this i would say there are 5 that dont and in this instance it doesnt in my opinion reflect very well on the concept of thread of the day.

In my opinion i would either disable the thread of the day feature until such a time that there is some quantifiable means of selecting the thread, perhaps, thread views in one day or an OP with the highest thanks count.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

snyper wrote: »
    Thats a rather unfortunate thread to be tagged with thread of the day. I do appreciate that most regualar users of boards.ie know that this is an automated and random thing, however for every one of us that know this i would say there are 5 that dont and in this instance it doesnt in my opinion reflect very well on the concept of thread of the day.

In my opinion i would either disable the thread of the day feature until such a time that there is some quantifiable means of selecting the thread, perhaps, thread views in one day or an OP with the highest thanks count.

I wouldn't imagine it is a regular occurence that the thread off the day is a locked one but then again I may be wrong.

I certainly wouldn't agree that it should be based on the amount of thread views in one day or an OP with the highest thanks count as the forum with usually the highest traffic is the AH forum and this would not give threads in other forums the chance of competing.

I for one love the randomness of Thread of the Day and would definitely want it to remain excactly as it is which is completely random. I love clicking into it and never knowing what I'll find and would hate to see it every day full of AH threads!!!:)

I really can't see the problem with the fact that it was a locked thread or that it was from a "troll", who cares??:confused:

Just my opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I for one love the randomness of Thread of the Day and would definitely want it to remain excactly as it is which is completely random. I love clicking into it and never knowing what I'll find and would hate to see it every day full of AH threads!!!:)

Thats fair enough, however "thread of the day" would make one assume that it's the "best" thread of the day.

If its a random thread, it should be called random thread of the day

Thats fair enough, however "thread of the day" would make one assume that it's the "best" thread of the day.

See, that makes absolutely perfect sense.:)

Tbh, I don't know anything how boards is run PC wise but I'd imagine changing it to Random Thread of the day wouldn't be too difficult.
    This would then ensure that boardsies know it is a random thread and not the best thread on boards....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I had been vaguely under the impression that thread of the day was for a thread with some sort of merit, I had never bothered to check it though. I agree that calling it Random thread of the day would be a bit more accurate.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    I had been vaguely under the impression that thread of the day was for a thread with some sort of merit, I had never bothered to check it though. I agree that calling it Random thread of the day would be a bit more accurate.

You should check it out now and then, can be very varied and interesting:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If the point is to encourage traffic to less-visited forums, would it not be better to have a different random thread every time someone clicks on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

If the point is to encourage traffic to less-visited forums, would it not be better to have a different random thread every time someone clicks on it?

Submitted for your approval. Ok, not yours, but that of the site developers.

I don't think it should be disabled though.
    It also might serve to teach some people the actual meaning of the word "Random".

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

What about a forum of the week instead of a thread of the day?
    I like the intent behind the feature but the reality is usually dross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

'Thread Of The Day' should be like 'Post of the Day'.

Just give it to whichever thread was started that day and the OP received the most 'thanks' or the most replies, compared to any other thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

OutlawPete wrote: »
    'Thread Of The Day' should be like 'Post of the Day'.

Just give it to whichever thread was started that day and the OP received the most 'thanks' or the most replies, compared to any other thread.

It's a nice idea but I think the thread of the day now is random as it encourages, theoretically, people to expand their horizons from AH and the like to the other forums. At least I think that's the intention behind it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Once upon I had such a noble quest. It was short-lived.

Advertisement