Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway [Monday 26th July] Selections & Tips

Options
  • 25-07-2010 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭

That time of year again;

5.10 - Hail Ceasar: Going into the race with form having won in Ballinrobe last time out. Ballinrobe I'd consider decent preparatory course for Galway as it's a bit tight and sharp in places. He was quite a decent performer for Aidan O'Brien having finished within 4 lengths of good horses like Sea The Stars and Fame And Glory. With a Weld hotpot in the race he could likely go off a decent each way price and it's on that basis I'd advise an each way bet at 5/1 or more. 1pt e/w

5.45 - Split Ear: At the bottom of the wieghts in a trappy enough contest and I think the Mullins combination can come good after they hacked up in Sligo on this one last time out. Again should be backable e/w. 1pt e/w

7.00 - Dreamy Gent: Comes into here with a win under the belt like half the horses in the field but has the benefit of having won here before which is a massive plus in my view. I cannot emphasis how unique Galway is and how horses with good form can be trumped by those with course form. I'd expect Jessie's charge to be double digits so again an e/w bet. 2pts e/w

8.35 - Fort Defiance: Leaving it until the last race to back Dermot Weld at Galway could likely have my fingers burned at that stage but I'll be siding with Fort Defiance to bail me out if thats the case. Only on the nose bet of today. 1pt win

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Will post it here too.

Dreamy Gent - My mates father works with the owner and he said that this horse has what it takes to win this race. take that as you please but glad to see someone else is confident in him. Nearly 15's on Betfair.

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Not putting much of an opinion to these, I'll be backing them all though as I always have a small bet in each race at Galway for the fun! Prices will be edited in come tomorrow.

Good luck everyone.

5:10 Galway - Force Of Habit - 1pt @ 9/2 (VictorChandler)

From the Weld yard who does brilliantly here, showed enough on Hurdling debut for me to believe he has enough ability to win this, won last two flat starts and has Paul Townend on board. Should go well and will hopefully be around 5/1.

5:45 Galway - Kalellshan - 1pt e/w @ 8/1 (Betfred)

From the Charles Byrnes yard and has Davey Russell on board, still lightly raced with only 15 career starts and open to more improvement. Looked progressive over fences last year and should come on for that run at Sligo for a new yard, should be around 10/1 and looks a decent e/w bet to me.

6:20 Galway - Poltava - .5pts e/w @ 25/1 (Bet365)

Couldn't call this race, looks very open and the Weld horse is likely to be all the rage. Taking a chance here on the Stack horse to build upon his 2nd place finish last time out, Wayne Lorden on board and he's a well bred full brother to a US Group 3 winner. Might be in with a decent shout at roughly 14/1 if a couple don't run as expected. Tiny e/w bet.

7:00 Galway - Cyborg - 1pt e/w @ 15/2 (StanJames)

Landed a couple of gambles for Charles Byrnes and looks to be quite a progressive horse, will stay no problems and ground will be no bothers. Katie Walsh on board for her only ride of the day and she's as capable a jockey as anyone. Good place claims at forecast odds around 7/1.

7:35 Galway - Footprint - 1pt e/w @ 8/1 (Ladbrokes)

Back to last winning mark, tough race to call so I'm backing this one mainly due to Fran Berry being on board. Ground should be no problem and at odds hopefully around 8/1 it looks a decent e/w bet for small stakes.

8:05 Galway - Notalossonya - 1pt e/w @ 9/1 (Bet365)

Beat a couple of decent sorts last time out on handicap debut, looks to have the potential to do better and may be in with a shout here. Lorden on board and he gave a great ride last time out and a 3lb rise in the weights looks fair. Could be in with a decent shout at around 12/1+

8:35 Galway - Nordic Hawk - 1pt e/w @ 20/1 (StanJames)

Not even going to bother trying to solve this race, looks too tough to call so I'm going with Nina here. 10.0 on BF at the moment and 9/1 would be sound come morning. His half brother has done well for the yard and with a bit more progression here this one could hopefully hit place money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ted Walsh named the following yesterday for whats its worth

6.20 A Word Apart
    8.35 Fort Defiance

Anyone think Banna Man in the 5.45 is overpriced? 14/1 at the foot of the weights for a course winner albeit chase not hurdles.

A fun trebles, canadian, accu with small singles all e/w

GALWAY 8:05 HANDICAP (60-90) 1m 4f
    Driveheron @ 9.00 (GP)

GALWAY 7:00 AMATEUR HANDICAP 2m
    Dreamy Gent @ 13.00 (GP)

GALWAY 5:10 NOVICES' HURDLE 2m
    Hail Caesar @ 7.00 (GP)

GALWAY 7:35 HANDICAP (50-75) 7f
    Footprint @ 8.00 (GP)

GALWAY 6:20 MAIDEN STAKES 7f
    Tashqeel @ 4.50 (GP)

GALWAY 5:45 HANDICAP HURDLE 2m
    Mull On The Run @ 7.00 (GP)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Hail Caesar looks decent value at 6/1
    Kevkat 28/1 EW value of this mark
    Alexander Pope 12/1 EW, might not be much between AOB
    Zarinava 20/1 EW looks good last race finished well
    Majestic Pearl 12/1 EW, eyecatching ur last time

Dermot Weld win and placed odds since 2006
    2006 17 runners 7 wins, 8 placed 2 unplaced

win 11/8 win 15/8 win 9/2 place 7/1 win 2/7 place 3/1 place 2/1 
    place 4/1  win 2/1 place 4/1 place 11/4 place 20/1 place 10/1 win 4/7 win 5/1
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    2007 14 runners 4 winners 9 placed 1 unplaced

place 10/3 win 12/1 place 11/8 place 4/5 place 11/8 place 10/1
    place 12/1 win 7/2 place 7/1 win 6/1 place 7/2 win 2/1 place 3/1
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    2008 21 runners 9 winners 11 placed 1 unplaced

win 8/1 win 4/1 win 7/1 place 8/1 win 2/1 win 2/1 place 2/1 place 2/1 
    win 3/1 place 2/1 win 6/1 place 7/1 place 6/1 place 7/4 place 8/11 
    win 2/1 place 6/4 place 11/8 win 2/1 place 8/11
    -----------------------------------------------------
    2009 28 runners 8 winners 13 placed 7 unplaced 

win 10/1 win 4/9 win 8/1 win 11/2 win 8/15 win 5/4 win 2/1 win Evens
    placed 7/2 placed Evens placed 9/1 placed 2/1 placed 9/4 placed 4/7
    placed 4/7 placed 8/11 placed 5/1 placed 9/4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

5.45 Cylinder Rattler, Has won 2 handicaps so far this term and good 7lb claimer on board. @ 12/1
    6.20 Alexander Pope. His third at Gowan faired out well trowing up 2 NTO winners with 2 placing. @ 10/1
    7.00 Sublime talent, Won at the Curragh last week and the 2 mile will suit better. @ 6/1
    7.35 Emily Jane,2nd at Fairyhouse with the 4th winning NTO over 6f
    @ 8/1
    Lucky 15 plus EW Acc
    Good Luck All

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I've done a Weld special myself and La Chosette was a big-ish bet for me but alas it's a NR.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

The draw is a huge advantage in flat races upto a mile.
    high numbers in big fields have a advantage ,a horse drawn 1 in a 15 runner 7f race have a little chance.
    if u find a horse drawn high that races up with the pace and has won or been placed at galway before lump on.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭macl

Today looks competitive I'll say.

My only bet today will be in the 5.45 I think.

Fearnwood Girl e/w or Orpen Guama e/w.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭Fowler87

I hear my home town is running today... Ballyhaunis! Any thoughts on this horse' chance lads?? probably will fall on 1st fence wont it:D:pac: Mullins is the trainer though so that can only be a good thing...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭deewhy

Fowler87 wrote: »
    I hear my home town is running today... Ballyhaunis! Any thoughts on this horse' chance lads?? probably will fall on 1st fence wont it:D:pac: Mullins is the trainer though so that can only be a good thing...

If he falls at a fence you are in trouble given the race is on the flat!! This fellow has a good chance. Ran an eye catching race at the curragh a couple of weeks back. Although Willie doesn't tend to focus on Galway ignore at your peril. I am still with Welds here was my real eye catcher in the Curragh. If it looks like getting beaten I expect a quick ease down with a view to running in 4 year old hurdle later in the week

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭chebonaparte

i couldnt wait for ruby to return at galway now hes not am gutted!

anybody catch the tips ruby and mcoy gave on miriam other night?

i missed it but heard he tipped few?

have to say day 1 at galway is hardly inspiring

still me n the aul lad gonna try our hand at the jackpot races 3,4,5,6

our jackpots getting as hard as the british scoop 6 minefield races to pick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭deewhy

Each way lucky 31:

Hail Caeser
    Mojito royale
    Footsteps
    Sublime talent
    Maytide

Also going to back e/w anvd f/cast with mojito dul ar an ol in second race. This fellow landed an enormous gamble when last seen over hurdles. Any Market move will be significant IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Insane Rambling

My picks for the evening...

Hail Caesar : 5:10 - 7/1 1pt
    Mull on the Run : 5:45 - 5/1 1pt
    Double... A Word Apart / Fort Defiance - 4.75/1 2pts
    Dreamy Gent - 7:00 - 12/1 1pt

No big bets today as nothing really stands out.

Best of luck to everyone...

I see paddypower has a 3 or 4 place insurebet for 12/1 or 11/1 respectively. Given the interest in this horse it might be worth a punt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭coughlan08

Doocey wrote: »
    Will post it here too.

Dreamy Gent - My mates father works with the owner and he said that this horse has what it takes to win this race. take that as you please but glad to see someone else is confident in him. Nearly 15's on Betfair.

funny enough i got this same "tip" yesterday under same conditions,
    wont win though because whenever there is too much interest in 1 horse on here it goes on to lose,

ive taken 14-1 on pp though...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭GampDub

Heinz 57 on all of Welds 6 runners today... be some craic if it clicked!!! :)

1st one for Dermot. A sign of things to come ? :) ...probably!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭GampDub

macl wrote: »
    1st one for Dermot. A sign of things to come ? :) ...probably!

Hopefully :D

Robin Hood looks the value bet in the 6.20 pays 1/4 odds to 3 places at 4.00, the Weld nag is 2.10 so its all or nothing, O'Briens is just e/w odds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

2 for 2. Cheers for the tips lads, don't know much about the horses myself so I needed them!

Pity I didn't have the balls to do more than a €3 yankee :o.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Robin Hood in the next here lads, ive been waiting all day for him, big bet here for me, he should lead from the front and never be caught:D

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

x PyRo wrote: »
    5:10 Galway - Force Of Habit - 1pt @ 9/2 (VictorChandler)

From the Weld yard who does brilliantly here, showed enough on Hurdling debut for me to believe he has enough ability to win this, won last two flat starts and has Paul Townend on board. Should go well and will hopefully be around 5/1.

5:45 Galway - Kalellshan - 1pt e/w @ 8/1 (Betfred)

From the Charles Byrnes yard and has Davey Russell on board, still lightly raced with only 15 career starts and open to more improvement. Looked progressive over fences last year and should come on for that run at Sligo for a new yard, should be around 10/1 and looks a decent e/w bet to me.

Should of done the double. :( Good start to a long weeks betting though! :)

Money piling into Robin Hood, A Word Apart on the drift but so was Hail Ceasar in the 10-15 mins before the off.

Cash now flooding the Weld horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭OneForTheTeam

Robin Hood in the next here lads, ive been waiting all day for him, big bet here for me, he should lead from the front and never be caught:D

Thanks for that, was too much of a baby to lump it on tho:D

What's everyone having? got him at 3/1 that's me now until tommorrow:D

Doocey wrote: »
    Will post it here too.

Anyone giving this a shot? im doing a small ew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Anyone giving this a shot? im doing a small ew.

Same. Can't be sure with this kind of tip...but can't resist a small EW punt either.

scopper wrote: »
    Same. Can't be sure with this kind of tip...but can't resist a small EW punt either.

Last time a tip like this came up when i was betting on Cheltenham, it turn around my loses and I was up after the few days.

• Advertisement

Alright a small e/w on Dreamy gent:p

Advertisement