Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding a good kennels

Options
  • 25-07-2010 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

I've visited three kennels so far, and not one is suitable for a family pet. They're like dog jails, with dark, cramped little cells, and minimal room for walkies. Is there a really nice kennels anywhere, where you'd be happy to leave your pampered fireside darling while you went away for a week?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

What county/area are you looking for recommendations for?? I know a good one in Ardrahen, Galway if thats any good??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'll be keeping an eye on this as we need one in North Dublin for Brodi

Our vets, Lissenhall have a nice one but they don't walk/exercise the dogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sandphil

i found kilmessan kanine kennels in co.meath excellent. we used them last week from monday til thurs. was dreading leaving the baby of the house somewhere as we had never left her anywhere before. its about 20mins from blanchardstown. they have a great website to give you an idea.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

sandphil wrote: »
    i found kilmessan kanine kennels in co.meath excellent. we used them last week from monday til thurs. was dreading leaving the baby of the house somewhere as we had never left her anywhere before. its about 20mins from blanchardstown. they have a great website to give you an idea.:P

What sort of prices are they?

Edit, found out, 15euro a day

http://www.kilmessankaninekennels.ie/the_kennels_2.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sandphil

yep 15 euro is right. Penny went to them last monday morn, we picked her up at 4.00 on thurs afternoon. well worth the 60 euro. i even text twice in the few days we were away and Kay text back to let me know how Penny was getting on. i heard about them through word of mouth and then we went to check them out one sunday morn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 thedingo

No pimping your business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Thanks for these. I'll go and see kennels until I find one where I'd be happy to leave my dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

Why don't you try in house minding. It might be better for your dog than a kennels. Alot of people mind dogs in their own homes. He would still be indoors, still watching tv and still on someones lap being stroked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭uppishhauk

you could try
    http://www.petsittersireland.ie/
    i don't have any personal experience with them, just know of them because they are currently looking to expand nationwide so they may or may not have sitters in your area but you could try

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Best Kennels get our vote. They took great care of our guy - and he was on pain killers and antibiotics at the time so I was really worried about him. He came back happy and relaxed from his holiday. A friend used them after our review and find them really good too.

• Advertisement

Best Kennels looks good - will trot up there and take a look. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Best Kennels looks good - will trot up there and take a look. Thanks.

Make sure you call them first - somebody posted on here a while back who had gone up unannounced and the owner wouldn't let them in etc. I found him nice on the phone thou but other people have found him abrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sral1

Plenty of good kennels in the north Dublin/Meath area. Also try happyhounds.ie or bellewstownkennels.ie.

tk123 wrote: »
    Make sure you call them first - somebody posted on here a while back who had gone up unannounced and the owner wouldn't let them in etc. I found him nice on the phone thou but other people have found him abrupt.

Ah. That would put me right off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Ah. That would put me right off.

But why would it put you off? Kennels have to have routines, so if you turn up in the middle of the quiet time, after feeding, why should they let you in to see the place, and disturb the guests that are there? Or its the middle of exercise time, they would have to leave it to show you around, thus putting everything out of time, disrupting the guests' routine again, and maybe depriving one of the dogs of their full exercise time.

If you want to see it, phone them and make an appointment and they will tell you when is a good time to go and see it - good for the dogs that are there I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

This is the place I recommend to all my customers:

http://pawshotel.weebly.com/index.html

The dogs are allowed to roam free around the property and receive the best of care :) Have heard nothing but glowing reports back.

Unfortuntely one of our dogs doesnt mix well with others so we have to get a sitter in - pity as the other two would LOVE to go stay in a "dog lodge" while we're away :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Zoundz

I can't recommend Abbeyfeale Kennels highly enough! :D I would happily drive from West Cork to Abbeyfeale (about a 2 and a half hour trip each way) to drop my guys off if I was on holiday!
    xx

Paws Hotel doesn't have pictures of where the dogs sleep. What are the sleeping quarters like?

Advertisement