Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dramatic Battle NI '10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

THE TRUTH!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

Sorry for having to play so dry against Voa that I almost could've been in SSF4. Just wanted to play it safe against Tager since, as you noticed, nothing makes me happier than teching straight into a Collider! I love being manhandled by gigantic, muscular men*.

This is under the condition that 'gigantic, muscular men' means 'hot asian girls with massive tatty bojangles'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭chris mcmahon

how many people entered ssf4?
    i was in top 16 but had to leave before it started

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

nicely done voa^^ looks like thursday pratice paid off. got any vids of the blazblue matches?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Vyze wrote: »
    Sorry for having to play so dry against Voa that I almost could've been in SSF4. Just wanted to play it safe against Tager since, as you noticed, nothing makes me happier than teching straight into a Collider! I love being manhandled by gigantic, muscular men*.

This is under the condition that 'gigantic, muscular men' means 'hot asian girls with massive tatty bojangles'
    It's all cool, braw. It felt like I was playing Nu all over again...
    So I had some 'Nam flashbacks =P The SWORDS, man! You weren't THERE, man! The came outta the goddamn AIR, MAN!

By the by, do you have any of those vids going onto a youtube at all? You might want to contact Doom so you can link the Players vid to his game vid*:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

Results
    Thanks to everyone who entered, £58 was raised for childsplay.org.

Super Street Fighter IV

1. The Truth
    2. Cobelcog
    3. Chunkis
    4. Tetly
    5. Hound
    5. Dreddybajs
    7. Dr Doom
    7. Newtype

BlazBlue Continuum Shift
    1. ????? Mound
    2. Voa
    3. inferis
    4. Yreval
    5. Tsukiko
    5. Stu
    7. KO Kiki
    7. Andy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Tsukiko_chan

'twas a good bb tournament ^^ grats to vyze and voa for kicking arse! XD I loved our matches afterwards voa, was good fun! I'm gonna see if i can get some music on the go for SVB as it seems big tourneys like this sets my nerves off and i play too safe >.< its not good to play taokaka safe for anyone outside tager.

'twas a good bb tournament ^^ grats to vyze and voa for kicking arse! XD I loved our matches afterwards voa, was good fun! I'm gonna see if i can get some music on the go for SVB as it seems big tourneys like this sets my nerves off and i play too safe >.< its not good to play taokaka safe for anyone outside tager.
    Speaking of your Tao game, I noticed you like to grab in combos, and can sometimes hit the tauntloop. If you work a little on the loop, you can be a real devastating Tao, since your fundamentals and option usage is pretty damn strong. This might help you get a grasp on some nasty little surprises you can throw into combos, as well as help the timing on the tauntloop, which I hear is pretty nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Tsukiko_chan

Ah, thats a decent vid, its got the commands at the bottom to help me with confirming my taunt loop and I'll see about throwing those air throws into the mix for svb :3

I've been practicing the taunt loop quite a bit in the past 2 weeks but i can't get the timing down perfectly, i can only manage 1-3 iterations of it successfully so far and some of the setup's are rather hard to get the timing right (5b, 6a(cancel),7/8/9 ->j.2.d (delay B), taunt is pretty harsh considering this has to be done in about ~1 second and parts of it need delayed). I didn't use the taunt loop at all in the DB as it was far too risky considering i haven't got it down yet. I'm glad i managed to go up to 3 iterations when i played you in casuals afterwards (even though i dropped it after the third and got magnets in my face for it afterwards)

Thanks Voa! XD Once SVB is over I'm going to work more on tao's taunt loop and see about getting Makoto's parry-whiff loops working as well :3

Also, with regards to music for tourney nerves, I find it helps to practice combos or play matches with the music you plan to listen to on in the background or on the headphones. Speaking as of last tourney, when I tried playing my playlist I'd put aside for tourney play I did much more jittery than when I turned on my training mode playlist. Pity I got so nervy in the final and wound up hitting skip and pause a lot on my mp3 when it was in my pocket under my stick*:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Out of curiosity, is The Truth taking the seed spot in SvB?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Interesting how there was no crossover at all between the two games as far as the top 8 was concerned - I might have had a decent shot at being the exception, though, had I not been paired up with The Truth and then Newtype in the SSF4 bracket.

Had a real "why didn't I think of that earlier?" moment against Stu in BBCS - in the final round of what had been, until then, a closely-fought group stage match I landed Tager's 360+B into Gadget Finger, then decided "what the hell, I'll go for another Buster". It worked, then I tried it again - and it won me the round and the match.

GGs to everyone I played, and especially to Voa - I learned quite a bit from our games.

Yeah, Gadget to Driver is such troll awesomeness. You can also do Driver B to punish them first time for trying to run, and Driver A right after it to punish a poke.
    Just don't use it vs Tao or Lambda, and be wary of DP users.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

animaX wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, is The Truth taking the seed spot in SvB?

He is indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

So are the Northern Irish just naturally better at fighting games then?

What with the improved reflexes from growing up in the troubles and all that?

Voa wrote: »
    Just don't use it vs Tao or Lambda, and be wary of DP users.
    "What the hell, is that gravity thing invulnerable?" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

So are the Northern Irish just naturally better at fighting games then?

What with the improved reflexes from growing up in the troubles and all that?

In all seriousness, the main reason IMO for any difference in skill is that the scene north of the border is longer-established - we've been running ranking battles since 2007, and there had been earlier attempts to get a scene going (I recall mr_kyle mentioning how he ran a CvS2 tourney a few years prior that only drew a handful of participants - thankfully things have improved since then).

I was mostly kidding, but NI players do seem to top the rankings most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

AFAIK they are generally just better and no point pussyfooting around it :pac:

There's a big difference though between being good at a particular game and games than being good at FGs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

another tripod incident

Lidl have tripods on special this week.

• Advertisement

Vyze wrote: »
    "What the hell, is that gravity thing invulnerable?" :P
    So salty, and I couldn't even troll proper to cure it q.q

Sooner or later, I'll learn how to zone in on you better. Then ya better watch your back*;)

Ramza wrote: »
    There's a big difference though between being good at a particular game and games than being good at FGs

Aye, trying to explain this to non-gamers in a pub, (usually drunk) I'd generally go with the athletics analogy:

A good all-around athlete in his physical prime still won't necessarily be good at football because it requires a certain set of skills.

A good footballer might be a poorer athlete overall, but he's still an athlete, and it's fair to say would probably be better at other sports (500 metre dash) than your average slob off the street.

Etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Ramza wrote: »
    AFAIK they are generally just better and no point pussyfooting around it :pac:

DNA? Hereditary ? or just JUST
    lw_gaming_wideweb__470x339,0.jpg

i agree with Yreval, however, i think cobelcog was in the womb in 2007

Nope just as guys and players they are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

and were they born better ? genetics? :)

We may be good up north, but we don't have the legend that you guys down south do!
    http://www.neoempire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9007

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I would say the fact they've had a competetive scene for years is the real answer. I always level up in a competetive environment. It drives you to do it.

And that filters through to their newer guys, at DS casuals the level of play is prob quite high.

That said, kinda had enough with this 'tude that the Northern lads are invincible. It's only putting mental blocks in your heads. Both the Guilfoyles fell to the mighty hand of doom at DBNI, and they're some of the best they've got.

We need to play smarter and learn smarter. They've got that down better than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Competitive Scene is definetely the major factor.

But there is other factors.

Genetics can't be scoffed. Some people are just plain better. Look at cobelcog. Was strong from online and afaik still doesn't attend casuals all that often.

Age is another factor. They have a younger, more active scene at least to my mind.

Organised casuals. The casuals that they play seem to have a more competitive vibe to them.

The one thing I have always noticed is that there seems to be a more gradual slope upwards in skill level down here. Whereas up north there is a bigger gulf between the main players and the ones further down the food chain. This offers both positives and negatives.

Placebo wrote: »
    and were they born better ? genetics? :)

They're just better as players, nothing to do with genetics or w/e, how more black and white can I make it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Bunch of scrubs up north if you ask me

Advertisement