Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dramatic Battle NI '10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Ramza wrote: »
    They're just better as players, nothing to do with genetics or w/e, how more black and white can I make it

You could explain why. There is always a reason why something is the way it is.

If you think that naturally the current players in the northern scene are better then those of us from the south then it would be genetics.

EDIT : Nothing like you and your mates eh Bush.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

You're asking why someone is better, well why do you think? Because they train harder and by the looks of it put more time in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Tsukiko_chan

Compared to some of the english ones, we are still pretty noobish at times. We do have some solid players at sf4, t6 and bb thanks to most of the players getting together each week at least once to spar off. With svb around the corner, the training has been mad lately! I'll bet newtype, the-truth and cob probably dream in fighting game notation >:O

You guys do have a tonne of good players and a large playerbase down there too so let's all go to svb and show them what the irish can do, both norn and sorn!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Does the north really have a more active scene?
    Longer, yes.

Anyway, isn't it time we realised we're all just one scene.

Even limerick.

• Advertisement

It's the same thing as the whole Asians are better video games etc. It's not true, they just put in the most time and use it effectively and have better resource. It's the same here. Of course we have some amazing players too but yeah

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Loads of good points in this thread I think all round.

I'd just like to reiterate Orim's point, it's something I've noticed too.

There's a HUGE gulf up North between their good and their-er- not so good players. I notice this all the time at the Dragonslayers, I rarely get a suprise battering from out of left field, whereas in Dublin there seems to be a gradual slide of skill.

As someone else said though we're basically the same scene.

And Cog's ours anyway we found him first. :D

final is uploading btw am I am working on the vlog.

I'll throw up the blaz blue final next.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

You're asking why someone is better, well why do you think? Because they train harder and by the looks of it put more time in

I already answered my thoughts on the matter. There seems to be something of a discussion going on the general difference in skill level.

My answer was a bit general but I think it all holds.
    Orim wrote: »
    Competitive Scene is definetely the major factor.

But there is other factors.

Genetics can't be scoffed. Some people are just plain better. Look at cobelcog. Was strong from online and afaik still doesn't attend casuals all that often.

Age is another factor. They have a younger, more active scene at least to my mind.

Organised casuals. The casuals that they play seem to have a more competitive vibe to them.

The one thing I have always noticed is that there seems to be a more gradual slope upwards in skill level down here. Whereas up north there is a bigger gulf between the main players and the ones further down the food chain. This offers both positives and negatives.
    Does the north really have a more active scene?
    Longer, yes.

Anyway, isn't it time we realised we're all just one scene.

Even limerick.

We aren't though. I would say that casuals are the indicator of where the scene is so we have Dublin, Dragonslayers, Limerick and the beginnings of a cork scene. IIRC there is also something in Derry.

Also yes there scene was more active for a long time. Offline wise we are catching up but I would maintain that our scene is older and less active. I think this comes from the fact that a lot of us are here for nostalgia sake whereas the DS players are focused through the Uni.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

The tvs up the north are better, they have 2 view sonic tv/montiors that are better than anything we have down south. The xgc in my opinion brings the level of play down, i can`t speak for everybody, but i know it brings my level down everytime i play there because there is so much lag on the tvs i can`t play, in my opinion you better off staying at home and playing online, because thats better than going to the xgc.

The north has better players, but i would put it down to characters more than the players.

Cobelcog, cammy,
    blag, bison
    roogle, boxer
    simon, guile
    mike, ryu

In the south you have

Azza, bison
    bush, blanka
    sagat08, blanka
    hound, akuma

I would like to see first to 10s between people and i wouldn`t mind seeing a north vs south team battle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

There's a HUGE gulf up North between their good and their-er- not so good players.

It could mean that while they have some of the better players, we are better at helping our players improve.

Clearly everyone is striving to appear on the Doomcam and the Dan show.

Speaking of which, final will be up in a few minutes here:

Special treat for Terry and Bush right at the start.

D log coming up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

They're just better as players, nothing to do with genetics or w/e, how more black and white can I make it

LOL
    this is why i look like a troll.
    Sorry ramza i just cannot properly reply to this type of response. Which is why i kept baiting with, WHY ARE THEY BETTER. And you just keep saying they are JUST better. I hint that Yrveal is right, its the competitive scene and still you say they are JUST better. So it MUST BE IN THEIR DNA

its gotta be.
    Maybe daigo's man love pollen flew into one of the irish ovaries up north, its THE TRUTH, har har har [so bad]

Vlog will go live here shortly.

You HAVE to check out the interview with Cobelcog. I could barely hold the camera with laughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

From what I can tell so far in this thread is that there are a few people with the wrong idea. The question is not why does the South not have as many good players as the North. That is such a narrow perspective to have. But rather, why does Ireland not have as many good players as other parts of the world?

Props to Doom and Owwmykneecap for stating that Ireland is the one scene; it is. To say that Ireland isn't one scene is wrong, stupid and backwards. Despite geographical distance (or any other divisions that people think exist) we still play against and help one another.

I'm not saying Ireland is not one scene, I'm just dumbfounded that people can't understand a simple statement I made lol

Wasnt meant for you bro, your opinion on the matter is cool.

Yeah I know :)

I never see the Irish scene as two, maybe a few years ago when I only knew Kneecap and Farz when we used to try and do our best to try and get something going, we knew of the going ons of the Northern lads but we never did follow through on it or bother to do anything with it

But now we have a steady scene in the Republic, and when the question was asked who has better players I'd have to say hands down the Northern lads. I don't know what factors into this but common sense to me would say maybe they just take it more seriously or play more. Or maybe it is the fact the scene is there longer etc. Either way it's the same thing

What region the better players come from is unimportant. What is important is that more Irish players knuckle down to learning and playing the game more effectively.

mr_kyle wrote: »
    What region the better players come from is unimportant. What is important is that more Irish players knuckle down to learning and playing the game more effectively.

This for the win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i think you guys have it good with the setup in queens, thats the queens property right?

Placebo wrote: »
    i think you guys have it good with the setup in queens, thats the queens property right?

She even visits to help Cobel level up his Cammy once in a while :P

I know it's not important but just letting people know :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

final is uploading btw am I am working on the vlog.

I'll throw up the blaz blue final next.
    My internet is horrible but I can see about sending you the couch-cam shots for the BB lower-bracket-semis and grand finals while I'm in work tomorrow if you want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

You guys do have a tonne of good players and a large playerbase down there too so let's all go to svb and show them what the irish can do, both norn and sorn!

yeah a large ssf4 playerbase, pity blazblue is really small:(

GGs to anyone and everyone up there and who travelled.
    Highlight of the day was McLovin upsetting Yerval.

Oh and the hot archaeologist.

Lowlight, belfast train station toilets. throwing away my game against Si-man.

Pleasure to meet you norn iron heads, newtype v deck, yerval, siman, steven (new nickname: Mr.Hakan) your mate, Chris McMahon, Scavanger (you are wrong about dead rising) The truth, all the other people I'm forgetting and of course Mr Kyle.

Also cheers to chopper.

Vyze wrote: »
    My internet is horrible but I can see about sending you the couch-cam shots for the BB lower-bracket-semis and grand finals while I'm in work tomorrow if you want them.

I'll throw them up on my channel if you'd like the "exposure" they'll get there no bother. Dunno how many people will watch the bb stuff yet though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

mr_kyle wrote: »
    It also needs more BlazBlue.

Specifically, it needs more 720. Maybe a little 1080.

If you want 1080s by an N64

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

I'll throw them up on my channel if you'd like the "exposure" they'll get there no bother. Dunno how many people will watch the bb stuff yet though :D
    Nah I don't really care about exposure or anything since it's just dull unhype footage of me and Voa pushing on buttons, but just in case y'all wanted it!

Advertisement