Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog won't stop scratching

Options
  • 25-07-2010 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone could give a bit of advice. We are minding a friends dog for 2 weeks and since we have got her she has done nothing but sratch her back constantly off the furniture. She uses the underside of the coffee table and everything and nothing seems to calm her itch.

I know the obvious thing would be to take her to the vets. I was just wondering if there is anything I can do in the short term to give her a bit of relief. She is an adult King Charles and she has a sort of dandruff flaky skin. I know she has brought her to the vet previously but it still comes back. She is on a very strict diet and her food never changes.

I've heard that salmon oil can help?

I just can't watch her for 2 weeks knowing that she's so uncomfortable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

It sounds like she has a food allergy with resultant atopic dermatitis. Whatever you do DONT give her anything outside of her normal diet routine.If her owners have her on a strict diet she was probably worse before it and theyve spent a long time trying to calm her system down.

Ask her owners first before you give her anything. Skin allergies can be hard to manage and there are some shampoos, food and meds specially formulated for different skin conditions.

My advice is if shes not sore or has red angry bald patches leave her until her owners come home as you may undo any good theyve done.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

Just plug out the decks

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Redmal

Thanks anniehoo. TBH I was a bit reluctant to give her anything anyway. She doesn't have any sore patches, just the itch and dry skin. The diet she is on is more for her weight problem and I've been careful to stick to it. I'm not going to wash her as I know that would definitely make it worse. I'll leave her alone then and maybe just reiterate to my friend when she's back from her holiday.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Good stuff! Even if its not a food allergy, there could be another allergy to something going on that the owners havent even got checked out yet. As a petsitter id NEVER do anything without the owners knowing about it. Deffo mention it when theyre back and say how uncomfortable you think she is. It may also just be a simple dry skin condition that as you say an oil might help with.

Shes itchy now but if shes not in pain she'll be ok till they come back.Fair play for being vigilant and concerned though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dogs can often be their own worst enemy in this regard. Even if it's not an allergy, she could have done something as simple as scrape herself on a bush and she's been scratching the cut ever since. They don't understand that if you leave it alone, it goes away.

As others have said, all you can do is stick to her diet and do your best to stop her scratching at it, no matter how much it looks like she's enjoying it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement