Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pavillion Dun Laoghaire car park torching

Options
  • 25-07-2010 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Marine road closed off and is filled with fire engines at present. According to a Garda there have been several cars set alight in the basement car park.

Crunch Fitness was evacuated. As I am a member of said, I received a text to say that it would be closed tomorrow and UCD/Aston Quay are available as an alternative.. grr

Anyone got more detail on any damage to gym? Likely to be smoke related.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from AH.
    Hope this is the right place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Just back from DL. Whole Pavilion is evacuated, including the forty foot. I'd say they're fuming at the festival business they're losing out in. Apparently three cars were set alight in the basement car park, but then I also heard it was an electrical fire in Crunch. I could see black smoke fuming out from the vents above Crunch anyway.

All of Marine road is taped off and closed to the public. I counted seven fire brigades when I looked earlier, bit of excitement anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

That is one of the worst places that could go on fire in South Dublin, I'd say the fire brigade are having a very difficult time with the fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Ahhhh no :( Sounds bad for the gym so :( Gutted as I'm a regular, will probably be months before it's open again. Hope nobody was hurt or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I don't think it was all that bad, albeit judging from what I could see outside. The staff of crunch were standing outside the entrance with a few firemen, didn't seem to be in any danger or anything like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Yeah I got that text too..........:(

Just when I had decided to get up early 2moro and go down.

Its like they knew I was looking for any excuse to get a ly in!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

Electrical box went on fire in the gym, they're hoping to be open on Tuesday, dunno how likely that is though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Emerson wrote: »
    According to a Garda there have been several cars set alight in the basement car park.

Who exactly said this?

I talked to the Superintendent at the scene, he said no such thing had happened -- http://dublinobserver.com/2010/07/fire-disrupts-dun-laoghaire-festival/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

The Gardaí were blocking roads at about 7.30pm I thought it was just regular 'make room for tourists to go home' type stuff, hadn't realised there had been an incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Right at the end of the music around 7:30pm when it kicked off was strange I jsut thought people had taken the festivities to the streets but then I coudl see the smoke and several Safety Engineers enter into the gym so was quite sure that it was the gym even though the 40ft was evacuated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I was leaving the festival around 6pm when all the fire engines and police started to arrive. Gardaí were instructing people to avoid driving into Dun Laoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Business resumed as usual at about 8 o'clock after it was given the all clear. After that it was straight up to The Forty Foot for some drink!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Anyone have any update on when Crunch might be reopening?? I asked them yesterday but they said they really had no idead, I was wondering if anyone else had been able to elicit something more concrete?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Got a txt off them today. They will be open again on the 3rd August :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

it was only an electrical fire 100%

chinese whispers :p

Advertisement