Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appeals clash with Electric Picnic

• 25-07-2010 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

Was planning to buy my ticket to EP this week when I noticed the festival clashes with the chance to view your script and make an appeal ( 3 , 4th , 5th of September!)

I obviously wont know if i will be appealing a script until I get my results but its still annoying! Anyone know if im unhappy with my grade whether I can just appeal it and not view it that weekend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

It's annoying me too! If I'm really unhappy or don't get my course I'm just gonna skip EP. It won't make too much difference in the long run... Hopefully that won't happen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

As far as I know you can appeal it without seeing it but you may have to apply to appeal the same day they are shown. post in the teachers form someone is bound to know there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭i like pie

yes you are allowed to appeal your result without ever viewing your script. all of this information is on the SEC website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

i like pie wrote: »
    yes you are allowed to appeal your result without ever viewing your script. all of this information is on the SEC website.
    Still, it's not advised to do this. There's no point wasting money getting a script rechecked when you were marked fairly. Where as if you view your scripts you might find that on a paper where you were happy with your result, you were marked rather badly. Like with my biology paper last year, I was happy with my B3 on results day, but when I viewed the paper I discovered it was marked quite badly, I got moved up to a B1 with a recheck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Buy your ticket, chat to your teacher after, I always give my students honest advice. Some are lucky to get what they get, others robbed of grades. Enjoy your Summer and head to E.P!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭i like pie

Lawliet wrote: »
    Still, it's not advised to do this. There's no point wasting money getting a script rechecked when you were marked fairly. Where as if you view your scripts you might find that on a paper where you were happy with your result, you were marked rather badly. Like with my biology paper last year, I was happy with my B3 on results day, but when I viewed the paper I discovered it was marked quite badly, I got moved up to a B1 with a recheck.

but even if you view a script in a subject like english or irish there is no way to tell if you will be marked up in the rechecks, even with a teachers opinion. it's all about being willing to take the risk of losing a bit of money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

You can appeal without viewing the scripts just as you can view the scripts but not appeal them.

You may not want or need to appeal your grades. To be honest I see a lot of students who say things like 'I thought I'd do better than a C in maths or whatever, but they've got their points for college, got their offer, and have all the requirements for their course. Let it go. Nobody cares or will ever ask again about your LC results once you go to college. You only need to start worrying if you are short 5 points and are hell bent on doing a course, or have failed maths or need a C3 in French and got a D1 etc etc.

oh.... and the SEC weren't looking at the calendar and thinking 'we can't have the appeals the first weekend of September, Electric Picnic is on' Not everyone's life revolves around music festivals :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

i like pie wrote: »
    but even if you view a script in a subject like english or irish there is no way to tell if you will be marked up in the rechecks, even with a teachers opinion. it's all about being willing to take the risk of losing a bit of money
    That's not necessarily true; you could have been marked down over some silly mistake on the part of the corrector, such as the marks not being calculated properly, or them missing a page of writing -it's happened in the past. Last year I recall someone getting a C on their results sheet, but when they went to view the papers discovered they'd gotten an A -it had just been put into the computer wrong.

Of course you're not guaranteed to go up a grade, but viewing the script at least gives you a better idea and lets you pick the script that you'll have the best chance of going up in. By not viewing the script you could be throwing 40 Euro down the drain and also missing out on a chance to recheck a paper where you did deserve a higher grade.

Advertisement