Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Options
  • 25-07-2010 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭

Was thinking of getting this game. I'm not familiar with the previous game or the board game it is set on. I like the whole vampire settings tho and want to give it a go.

Is this just like Fallout 3 but with vampires?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It's not based on a board game, it was one of the most wonderful and most broken games I ever played. Make sure you patch it to get rid of all the bugs and crashes and enjoy.

You get to play as a Vampire of the different clans each give you a different set of skills when you start and those skills can effect the game and the story play as you progress through the game which gives it great replayability.

It has a very atmospheric setting and soundtrack that draws you in and keeps you going.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

It's a good game, but it can be very buggy as the devs went bust soon after launch. Make sure you install the fan made patch as that can help. I still had to use a console command to get past the end of a level though!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sorry, thought it was based on a game with dice and stuff. Ya haha heard bout the patches, will give it a go anyway see how i get on. Anyone has any tips bout creating a good vamp at the start so i dont have to restart a few times cuz i made a balls of creating a good character.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

don't play as Malkavian on your first playthough, the game wont make any sense at all, but definitely play as them on a second run through as its just hilarious.

Depends on how you want to play it, each clan has it's own strengths,
    It's the Camerilla clans you get to choose from and you can see a break down of them here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clans_in_Vampire:_The_Masquerade#Camarilla

Playing a Malki in the game is a delight as they are insane but its best to start out with something a little less challenging when you don't know the backdrop of the setting or the game. Personally I would say choose Gangrel but I may be a little biased :)

• Advertisement

Thanks lads, read that wiki, Malk's sound like a right laugh! Mad to play this now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

one of the best games ever made think iv played it 10 times so far and keep wanting to go back.You should perhaps consider getting the fan made patchs i think its up to version 7 http://www.patches-scrolls.de/vampire_bloodlines.php fixes a hell of a lot of bugs and doesnt really change much core gameplay wise apart from the placement of some special items and restored speech

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

one of my favourite games ever, highly under appreciated when released and i think now can be called a true cult classic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Loved the original game way back when. Never managed to finish it though as the enemy vampires towards then got really powerful.

A friend gave me this game a good while back and I've yet to load it up. Think I may just have to give it a bash.

Dont watch that youtube video if you havent played the game it will ruin the best part of it for you and sadly its a sort of 1 shot deal imho

• Advertisement

Ya it would just be a shame if it did lessen the impact that level had on a first play through i still remember my first run never before and not since had i played something as um atmospheric :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Kinda weird this thread cropped up seeing as I re-installed it not so long ago just to replay it on my new system seeing as my old one could barely run it at the time all those years ago.

Classic game well worth playing.
    Think that's one of the things that put me off ever finishing it at the time, might dig it out for another bash soon as my fairly poor laptop should be able to run it maxxed out without breaking a sweat now..
    It was a really enjoyable, atmospheric game from what I remember, just a shame that it never got the post release support that it so badly needed...

tman wrote: »
    Think that's one of the things that put me off ever finishing it at the time, might dig it out for another bash soon as my fairly poor laptop should be able to run it maxxed out without breaking a sweat now..
    It was a really enjoyable, atmospheric game from what I remember, just a shame that it never got the post release support that it so badly needed...

In fairness the community have done a fantastic job of making the game very playable, i think patch 7.0 has been released quite recently so it is still being supported.

I downloaded unofficial patch 7 but it is just a file (properties shows file type as 'file') cannot be opened by any program.

Can anyone tell me how to run it please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Game of the Year, all years.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I downloaded unofficial patch 7 but it is just a file (properties shows file type as 'file') cannot be opened by any program.

Can anyone tell me how to run it please?

Sounds like you downloaded the wrong file, or it just didn't download properly.

Grab it from here
    http://www.filefront.com/16884409/vtmbup70.exe/

the patch should be "vtmbup70.exe"

Burgo wrote: »
    Sounds like you downloaded the wrong file, or it just didn't download properly.

Grab it from here
    http://www.filefront.com/16884409/vtmbup70.exe/

the patch should be "vtmbup70.exe"

I downloaded from your link and is exact same file. 170 mb file that I can't open. I read online to put it into BIN folder, tried it but still no luck. Don't wanna start the game without getting this to work!

I downloaded from your link and is exact same file. 170 mb file that I can't open. I read online to put it into BIN folder, tried it but still no luck. Don't wanna start the game without getting this to work!

Ah balls, i'm such a tard! I just renamed file with .exe on the end and it works perfect!

Now.....Which character to choose. I want a good melee striker who is good at chatting to peeps. I looked at the arty type but he looks way too camp

EDIT: Just started it and noticed something. The opening cutscene is supposed to show your Sire's head getting chopped off but camera pulls away. I heard this is in the European version but unofficial patch put it back in. I installed unofficial patch 7 PLUS. Anyone know if this should be right? mad to get stuck into this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I've been playing it on and off the last few weeks but it chugs along at about 10-15 FPS on my laptop. Think I'll wait till I have something better to play it on before i go any further.

Great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

One of my favourite games too; so good I ended up volunteering for the community patch (ended up spellchecking and debugging the Python files). It does turn into a slugfest towards the end but it's honestly one of the best RPG/FPSs simply for the great characters and interesting quests.

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I've tried to work my way through this game at least 3 times. Just doesn't do it for me.

What a great game, just finished tutorial, in new apartment, looking forward to lashing into it a lot more. Bender FTW!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Sorry, thought it was based on a game with dice and stuff.

It's based on the table top RPG Vampire: The Masquerade. Which is fanstastic in its own way. It's out of print now though, but the entire world and game line were revamped (ba dum tsch) a while back, the new version is Vampire: The Requiem. You should be able to get the core book and dice in any local nerd/geek shop. If you're in Dublin there's Subcity and...that other one down on the quays who's name I forget and will now be reminded by someone else.

As for the PC game, really really fantastic. Voice acting is superb, which is saying a lot because most games forget how important it is.

In case anyone didn't realise, the guy who does Jack's voice is the same guy who does the voice of Bender Bending Rodriguez from Futurama.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Forbidden Planet?

Anyway, I think my gf has a copy. Seeing the fulsome praise in here it's just gone on my list of things to rob from her apt. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Vampire the MAsquerade was a fantastic RPG, it was the most played game in the mid 90s for a while. of all the various systems we played back then it was the most straightforward and adaptable to the standard and experience of the players.

That made it really popular and suitable for Live Action Role Playing (LARPing), you weren't part of the Gaelcon/RPG scene back then until you'd been thrown out for LARPing vampire in the main hall at least twice.

http://gamersworlddublin.com/

There are retro Cam larp V:TM games running in dublin last heard as well with the rebooted settings.
    http://www.camarilla.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Abysmal game IMO. Probably enjoyable if youre into pretending youre an actual vampire or LARP'ing or some ****, for everyone else, it was crap. Play something like blood omen or soul reaver for a game about non-gay vampires

I enjoyed all the blood omen and soul reaver games but thier settings is very different from Bloodlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

AFAIK CCP games(which make the MMORPG game EVE)Bought the company that made the vampire rpg(whitewolf? will see if I can find a link) and had intended to make a Vampire MMORPG.

I thought the game was bugged as hell but was different to play and caught the atmosphere perfectly(dont remember any gay vampires though:rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Abysmal game IMO. Probably enjoyable if youre into pretending youre an actual vampire or LARP'ing or some ****, for everyone else, it was crap. Play something like blood omen or soul reaver for a game about non-gay vampires
    It was a great game.

very VERY flawed and completely unfinished but was still great. I do remember you couldn't even get past a certain point until the first patch was released.
    The universe it was based on (obviously inhierated from the board game) was very rich and the graphics for the time were brillant.

Ofcourse I also enjoyed the previous game, Redemption.

Have always hoped another Vampire game would be released.

Advertisement