Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EA MMA Game

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,420 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Been playing it since last night. Quite a good game in fairness. The submission system is far superior to the one in Undisputed. At least there is some semblance of skill and judgement involved rather than twirling the stick like a maniac. I despised the sub system in Undisputed. The career mode is more fun to play than Undisputed's as well. Online play is better as well. Commentary is far better in Undisputed alright but that's secondary to gameplay really.

It's not perfect by any means. Strikes sometimes don't really feel like they land with enough speed and force and the grappling is quite basic but still enjoyable. Not particularly difficult to things to get right if they do another one though. Add in a few more positions that are missing like north/south, etc.

EA probably made a mistake releasing the game in the middle of such a busy period for new game releases. In the last couple of weeks there's been Fallout, Medal of Honour, Vanquish and a whole pile of sports games (FIFA, NHL, NBA2K). Might have done better if released earlier in the Summer or after Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

EAs game was in development before 2009 was released.I'd say Dana did go to EA but he never says when he went to them or exactly what he said.Id say he went making big demands not long after the old UFC games contracts were up.And I doubt Peter Moore was the head of EA sports then since he's been known to take chances since he took over the division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

dave1982 wrote: »

Didnt say when he went to them or what he said to them.THQ needed a big franchise so id say he could make any deal he wanted to with them.EA are much bigger then that. And id seriously doubt EA used those words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

just my first online fights. won 2 lost 3. online is way better than ufc! some awful spamming tricks tho! my losses were down to me bein in guard, he throws some heel kicks, my stamina empties an he subs me! My last fight i defended 6 armbars all in the first round, couldnt get up at all stamina drained and sub chaining doesnt help. You should be able to choose real fighters OR cafs and they should fix the cheap tactics. o and you should b able to fight peopl in the same rank as you. still love it tho! Anyone wanna fight me on ps3 just add me PSN is sheehy83

edit: actually just saw ea devs are fixin my online complaints above. take note THQ!!!

Didnt say when he went to them or what he said to them.THQ needed a big franchise so id say he could make any deal he wanted to with them.EA are much bigger then that. And id seriously doubt EA used those words.

He said they declined a meeting.So that rules out what he said and they said negotiation wise.

EA are bigger and know sports games,so why they would pick Strike force over UFC.?

I think EA seen the previous sales of the other UFC games made by Crave ,Capom and they failed, i remember playing them years ago they were brutal.I think EA thought the games would flop again.

Thats the only comment i ever seen about EA refusing UFCs offer to make a game

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

So Im in the process of making myself in each weightclass so I can use myself online in any fight card.

I made myself in lightweight and middleweight and just started on heavyweight. I set my name and stuff as normal then went to height/weight and put in 206 pounds and 5'11 to keep it as close as possible to my normal size.

When I got to the body type screen my dude turned green!!

Whatsupwitdat?

772A0001_1_THUMB_plM.jpg

haha you must have activated some hulk cheat or something by mistake:confused:

HAHAHAHA that is well class!! Pity you can't equip him in Jean shorts! You will have to bring that guy online!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

A real cool Glitch that. Looks like a green Stefan Bonner.About Dana White meeting with EA I read he turned up at the wrong studio I think its the one that makes The Sims once when a meeting between him & EA was arranged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭kiad

I'm really liking this game, can't get the game face going though. Every time I try it says the markers are not done properly....anyways here is probably the greatest CAF I've seen in any game ever.....

771A0001_1_THUMB_uWd.jpg

BRIAN F*CKING PEPPERS!!!!!!

I forgot all about him haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

GTR63 wrote: »
    A real cool Glitch that. Looks like a green Stefan Bonner.About Dana White meeting with EA I read he turned up at the wrong studio I think its the one that makes The Sims once when a meeting between him & EA was arranged.

Something like that. He didn't know which branch was responsible for Sports games so he went to the wrong one, got pissed and then went to THQ. Apparently if he went to EA sports everything would have been grand

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Something like that. He didn't know which branch was responsible for Sports games so he went to the wrong one, got pissed and then went to THQ. Apparently if he went to EA sports everything would have been grand

HAHA sounds like a thing Dana White would do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

sheehy83 wrote: »
    HAHA sounds like a thing Dana White would do!

I'm amazed that he is stable in a job.He runs his mouth far too much & i'm sure going to THQ rather than EA Sports lost Ufc a lot of money cause he's a stubborn Asshole.

GTR63 wrote: »
    I'm amazed that he is stable in a job.He runs his mouth far too much & i'm sure going to THQ rather than EA Sports lost Ufc a lot of money cause he's a stubborn Asshole.

Imagine it was the other way around, that EA Sports had the UFC deal and THQ were releasing the 'international' mma game, such a shame but I still love this.

So, when are we getting a Boardsies card up and running????

HAHAHAHAAH that was an amzing fight card!!!!

So, dave1982 invites me to a fight card last night and there's 2 other guys. 4 fights get generated. Strange I was in 3 fights and one of the other guys only had 1 fight. Anyway...

Fight 1 - Me (Diaz) vs Dave(robbie lawlor). We touch gloves He throws a hook but my right head kick connects with his open chin first and he's rocked, I'm all over that and the fight is over in 12 seconds hahhaahahahah

Fight 2 - Other boys. I notice one of them is throwing ridiculously fast combos. jabs, hooks, uppercuts.....has to be using classic controls. The I see prompt for him to press all the buttons, only appears for classic. Fight lasts about 4 minutes and classic controller guy wins

Fight 3 - Me (Jacare) vs Dave (Manhoef) 2. We touch gloves, he takes a swing and DEJA-F*CKING-VU, I rock him with first punch, jump on him and starting swinging the right stick like a mad man. Think that one lasted 9 seconds maybe?? :D

Fight 4 - Me (Fedor) vs Classic guy (Brock Lesnar, actually very good caf of him). We get into it and his button mashing is too fast for me. I panick and totally forget how to parry. He drops me but I recover. He has my back and throwing down punches. Blocking does nothing and I can't get out of it. Like he was denying and hitting me at the same time. Could only parry his punches but couldn't get out, eventually KO'd me.

So glad EA are releasing a patch that filters fights by the controls cuz there is some disadvantage using TSC over classic but TSC is a much better way to play the game, imo.

Dave, thanks for inviting me man, was a great laugh. Pity we can't just set up a quick unranked match without having to do a card. I'm sure you will want another crack at me anyway so will catch ya online again!

Did you get a contendor shot yet?

^ Your time will come :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

Ye on ps3 or xbox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭congress3

What a shocking story to read.....

If this is true, then it just goes to show the dire state the video game industry is in these days. EA MMA is a much better MMA game than Undisputed. All the reviews I read marked it lower than Undisputed and the main reason was because it wasn't UFC. Fair enough UFC is the most popular MMA league in the world but EA made a better MMA game. Period. Just because THQ secured the long term deal with UFC, does that mean EA will never be able to outsell THQ because of the name of the box (which brings the impressive roster) Absolutely rediculous.

I think the main reason why it was scored lower than Undisputed is because the gameplay doesn't really come close to Undisputed and lets face it in an mma game that's what it all boils down to. Also I found Ea's graphics to be pretty poor.
    If you could however take EA's career mode and online and marry those with Undisputed's gameplay, graphics and roster you'd have a great game.

I think it'll be a shame if they don't bring out anymore mma games because it's always good to have competition in the market.

Caspa, i'm on PS3, PSN is sheehy83.

Congress, I agree if the could merge both games, they would have the ultimate MMA game! However, I couldn't go back to playing Undisputed 2010 after playing this. Ya the stand up is crisper in UFC but I love the TSC controls in EA and I prefer the ground work and Subs in EA (although they do need to work on the ground movement and stamina more)

Such a pity EA can't get the UFC deal so ya, it will definitely make both companies go all out to beat each other especially since both are spose to be releasing a game in 2012

Caspa, i'm on PS3, PSN is sheehy83.

Congress, I agree if the could merge both games, they would have the ultimate MMA game! However, I couldn't go back to playing Undisputed 2010 after playing this. Ya the stand up is crisper in UFC but I love the TSC controls in EA and I prefer the ground work and Subs in EA (although they do need to work on the ground movement and stamina more)

Such a pity EA can't get the UFC deal so ya, it will definitely make both companies go all out to beat each other especially since both are spose to be releasing a game in 2012

will add you when i get home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭kiad

My PSN is kiad890 if anyone wants an ass whooping!!!!

kiad wrote: »
    My PSN is kiad890 if anyone wants an ass whooping!!!!

eiredave bitchs :rolleyes:

I think we might just have a 4 fighter Boardsies fight card and I'm going for the hatrick Dave ahahahah

• Advertisement

added u all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BJJBJ90

seriously lads are some of you having a laugh? to say that this game even comes close to UFC Undisputed 2010 is a joke. undisputed is a far more technical game and brings about what its like to be in an actual mma fight. maybe most of you havent been in one or even trained in mma but to say that ea sports mma is better than undisputed is a joke. undisputed is an unbelieable representation of mma and the ufc sure it can get better but what game cant? the career in undisputed is more realistic with the stats decay because if you didnt work on your cardio your cardio would go down right? in ea you dont have to worry about this and you can make yourself unbelievable in every section which is unrealistic. the career in ea is far too short as well and far too easy. matbe there's somethin im missing but from a die hard mma fan and practitioner UFC rules:)

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Jamie OD

I prefer the UFC games but EA MMA is still a really good game. If we never see a sequel then I hope THQ "borrow" EA's Career mode and Submission system as they are a lot better than what UFC has right now. However, I think UFC is more fun to play when it comes to actually fighting. The button layout for striking is a lot more accessible than the control stick method.

BJJBJ90 wrote: »
    seriously lads are some of you having a laugh? to say that this game even comes close to UFC Undisputed 2010 is a joke. undisputed is a far more technical game and brings about what its like to be in an actual mma fight. maybe most of you havent been in one or even trained in mma but to say that ea sports mma is better than undisputed is a joke. undisputed is an unbelieable representation of mma and the ufc sure it can get better but what game cant? the career in undisputed is more realistic with the stats decay because if you didnt work on your cardio your cardio would go down right? in ea you dont have to worry about this and you can make yourself unbelievable in every section which is unrealistic. the career in ea is far too short as well and far too easy. matbe there's somethin im missing but from a die hard mma fan and practitioner UFC rules:)

Well I don't practice MMA, just a really big fan of the sport and I'm also a fan of 'fun games' I loved Undisputed 2009, hated 2010. Can't agree with the career being more realistic. Yeah, there are stat decays, the most annoying feature of the career. This could have been handled a lot better instead of just being furiating. Then there is my actual fighter. Because it was so hard to acquire moves, multiple sessions needed and you have to sort trhough tons of gyms to find the move you are working on. In this time, my stats have decayed and im bollixed going into my next fight. I ended up losing only oncein my career (medium) due to a sub (sub system is completely broken) and my fighter had 3 moves. A head kick, judo take down and over hand right. I basically overhand right-ed my way to a UFC champion. He was not an MMA fighter and it was just so disappointing.

Saying that, UFC definitely has some better gameplay elements like striking and animation. Although now I love the Total Strike Controls, EA just needs to tighten it up.

The difference between the 2 games for me was that in one, I felt like an MMA fighter and in the other I felt like a K1 fighter.

Oh, Unisputed posted the '1st of many' surveys on facebook and they are asking fans to sculpt the next Undisputed games. This whole competition between companies can only be a good thing.

The first survey is all about the submission system. Had fun going to town on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I actually prefer the graphics and gameplay of EA MMA.

Undisputed may have more detail and technical options but it all feels very jerky to me, EA MMA seems far more fluid and most importantly, fun. I enjoy playing EA MMA more than I do Undisputed and that is the point of playing a game.

• Advertisement

Hey The Prodigy, I got your friend request but when I went to accept, it said an error occurred and your name disappeared from the list. Send me on another request.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Finally got the game and I have to say I'm loving it, I think its great how different the control system is to UFC's, it feels like a totally different game, compared to say FIFA and Pro Evo.

The stand up takes some getting used to but after a while the combos come quite naturally I think, one problem I had though was that a lot of my body shots were connecting graphically but not registering. The clinch and takedowns are quite limited alright, but UFC 2009 was quite limited too, lets hope there is a follow-up so they can go into more detail.

Season mode is fantastic, much more fun than Undisputed for me, although its way too easy to get your leg submissions up to the max. I think this game would be much better at coping with the stats decay than UFC too, since training is not the ultimate grind it was in UFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

lads add me on PSN aswel :) The_Dumptruck_ deffo have a boards.ie fightcard :P cant believe i stomped somebodies head to end a fight lol.......

Will add ya later man!

Gamestop are having a black friday sale on their online shop. Different deal every hour. from 12pm to 1pm, EA MMA is €24.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Bought it at Gamestop today for @ 25 euros and got a free DLC coupon [Classic Frank Shamrock] Is there any other DLC content available? Nothing shows up in the PS store.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Saw it in hmv for 30 myself today,was tempted but every1 here seems to play on the ps3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭oneillryano

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Bought it at Gamestop today for @ 25 euros and got a free DLC coupon [Classic Frank Shamrock] Is there any other DLC content available? Nothing shows up in the PS store.
    Nice deal. there is. you can unlock Hershel Walker and Big john mccarthy but i think they were just codes given with pre-orders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Nice deal. there is. you can unlock Hershel Walker and Big john mccarthy but i think they were just codes given with pre-orders?

Thanks oneillryano. I figured they would have been available for DLC by now.

Just got the game over christmas,just wondering does the difficultly setting affect your created fighter?
    As in do your stats increase faster at a higher difficultly?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭lakes1985

my psn is lakes1985 please add me but i gotta warn you im pretty ****!!!

• Advertisement

Thinking I was doing great offline thought I'd test the online waters,got my ass handed to me,think I'll change to classic controls for a while and try those out.

Since Ufc 3 is out soon,I thought I'd throw up this.Just some online fights,I enjoyed this game alot more than the the first ufc game.Hopefully ufc 3 is more like this(sorry abut the annoying music I was trying something but it didn't work out)

Excellent, great vid man! Nice to see Mayhem winning as well :)

Did you play UFC 3 demo yet? EA MMA has such a great sub system, hope UFC took note.

Excellent, great vid man! Nice to see Mayhem winning as well :)

Did you play UFC 3 demo yet? EA MMA has such a great sub system, hope UFC took note.

I thought the demo wasn't live on PSN yet?
    Fantastic sub system,one of my favourite aspects on ea mma and probably my least favourite aspect on ufc undisputed.

Ah I thought it was out. Will have a look when I get home.

Demo is up now. I remember for, was it UFC 2009 or 2010 that we had a boards tourney. Was a great laugh. Hopefully we can get something like that again for UFC 3. I don't think we had enough people for EA MMA.

Demo is up now. I remember for, was it UFC 2009 or 2010 that we had a boards tourney. Was a great laugh. Hopefully we can get something like that again for UFC 3. I don't think we had enough people for EA MMA.

count me in, i love mma and the ufc demo

Just gonna slip this in here if anyone wants a gawk(nothing special just some fights)

Now the question becomes do I get ufc 3 or not?
    Wasn't impressed by the demo

Advertisement