Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amish: World's squarest teenagers.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

juanmawr wrote: »
    Ho, ho. Having met the Amish-Mennonite community in Co. Waterford I can say their philosophy is to make full use of modern technology, but only if it's beneficial. For example, the internet is fine for email communication, but they'd have no interest in downloading Lady Gaga's latest. It's a stereotype of 'the Amish' that they are backward. The Old Order Amish, including the particularly strict (and thankfully very small) sect that one of the girls in this series grew up in, live a 17th century lifestyle because that's their culture. Many Amish groups, e.g. Beachy Amish, have no problem with making use of modern technology.

The Irish group (who have attracted members from across Europe) are also warm, loving, clever people who are an inspiration, and very welcoming to people who are interested in them. The pastor has given newspaper interviews.

Thanks for that, it would be really interesting to visit sometime imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

juanmawr wrote: »
    Ho, ho. Having met the Amish-Mennonite community in Co. Waterford I can say their philosophy is to make full use of modern technology, but only if it's beneficial. For example, the internet is fine for email communication, but they'd have no interest in downloading Lady Gaga's latest. It's a stereotype of 'the Amish' that they are backward. The Old Order Amish, including the particularly strict (and thankfully very small) sect that one of the girls in this series grew up in, live a 17th century lifestyle because that's their culture. Many Amish groups, e.g. Beachy Amish, have no problem with making use of modern technology.

The Irish group (who have attracted members from across Europe) are also warm, loving, clever people who are an inspiration, and very welcoming to people who are interested in them. The pastor has given newspaper interviews.
    What are they then? just a strict christian group?

I watched it this evening, I liked it. They seemed like fairly smart mature girls. The lads were a bit happy with the cider :D
    Would have liked to see that mosque episode, heh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

bluewolf wrote: »
    I watched it this evening, I liked it. They seemed like fairly smart mature girls. The lads were a bit happy with the cider :D
    Would have liked to see that mosque episode, heh.

thought this evenings eppisode was quite poor compared to the two previous , mostly because the toffs they stayed with were so uninteresting , nothing happened and they had to show a polo match twice

Ah, I haven't seen the other eps, I'll be looking forward to the next one though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

bluewolf wrote: »
    Ah, I haven't seen the other eps, I'll be looking forward to the next one though

They are all available here: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/amish-worlds-squarest-teenagers/4od

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Next week looks great. Raver Amish....hell yeah!

Wow that main amish girl is pretty hot in a Claire Danes sort of way. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

There was similar program a few years ago Amish in the city. Out the Amish teens only one chose to go back. I like their values ( quite similar to old catholic church), what I don't agree with is stopping the eduction. they are American and they did know any about their history. The key to understanding God is education, that was Einstein's goal .You need to learn how to interpret the Bible. For example I say the Old testament is about 5% true and 95% allegory , while New Testament is younger so there be more truth to it .

• Advertisement

mach1982 wrote: »
    For example I say the Old testament is about 5% true and 95% allegory , while New Testament is younger so there be more truth to it .
    It is impossible for you to know which parts are true and which are just pulled from some dude's a$$. The existance of that impossibility/vagueness renders the entire bible's contents as useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

axer wrote: »
    It is impossible for you to know which parts are true and which are just pulled from some dude's a$$. The existance of that impossibility/vagueness renders the entire bible's contents as useless.

I disagree, the Old Testament was handed down verbally for may years until it was written down, thefore it was susceptible to "Chinese whispers " ,fact getting distorted , each retelling is told slightly different . The New testament is about 2000 years old , and was written down about 30 years after Jesus death therefore it a more reliable source .

I disagree, the Old Testament was handed down verbally for may years until it was written down, thefore it was susceptible to "Chinese whispers " ,fact getting distorted , each retelling is told slightly different . The New testament is about 2000 years old , and was written down about 30 years after Jesus death therefore it a more reliable source .
    For example I say the Old testament is about 5% true and 95% allegory , while New Testament is younger so there be more truth to it .
    This is the part I want to highlight. There may be more "truth" in the new testament but you still don't know which parts are definitely true and which parts are just pulled out of some dude's a$$.

Advertisement