Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help and advice with trouble with phone company

Options
  • 25-07-2010 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi folks can anyone please help with some advice on an issue with a phone company, the short of it all is that i recently changed my phone line and broadband to another company. The sales rep was told that we had 2 laptops and 2 playstations he told us there would be no problem so we signed up. They came and installed modem (day 1) as soon as guy left son went to log onto playstation and it wouldnt connect, that was on a monday, my husband then spent the next 3 days on phone to technical staff trying to get it sorted but with no joy, they tried to say that we,d have to get in contact with the playstation network basically trying to fog us off, therefore on days 3 i rang the staff and told them i was cancelling i also sent email confirming this, i rang my original provider and asked to be switched back on and within the hour my son was back playing his playstation

my problem is now that this company had my bank details and took 160 e out off my account, this was for 3 days service when i rang them i was told i had to pay 100e cancellation fee, however the authorisation form to which i signed states that i had 14 days to cancel i cancelled on day 3 now lucky enough my bank was able to retrive the money back, but this month they sent me yet another bill for 82e almost 5 weeks after modem was taken away by courier, they still want 160e plus this 82e i received an email stating ther company was providing 3mb of speed and that they will not waive cancellation fee. my argument is that they did not provide me with the services i signed up for, what good was the broadband to me if my 2 kids could not connect to playstation. I dont know where to turn for help as this matter is very distressing and i know this company is gonna keep sending me bills, sorry for the long thread but would very much appreciate anyones advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

candywoman wrote: »
    Hi folks can anyone please help with some advice on an issue with a phone company, the short of it all is that i recently changed my phone line and broadband to another company. The sales rep was told that we had 2 laptops and 2 playstations he told us there would be no problem so we signed up. They came and installed modem (day 1) as soon as guy left son went to log onto playstation and it wouldnt connect, that was on a monday, my husband then spent the next 3 days on phone to technical staff trying to get it sorted but with no joy, they tried to say that we,d have to get in contact with the playstation network basically trying to fog us off, therefore on days 3 i rang the staff and told them i was cancelling i also sent email confirming this, i rang my original provider and asked to be switched back on and within the hour my son was back playing his playstation

my problem is now that this company had my bank details and took 160 e out off my account, this was for 3 days service when i rang them i was told i had to pay 100e cancellation fee, however the authorisation form to which i signed states that i had 14 days to cancel i cancelled on day 3 now lucky enough my bank was able to retrive the money back, but this month they sent me yet another bill for 82e almost 5 weeks after modem was taken away by courier, they still want 160e plus this 82e i received an email stating ther company was providing 3mb of speed and that they will not waive cancellation fee. my argument is that they did not provide me with the services i signed up for, what good was the broadband to me if my 2 kids could not connect to playstation. I dont know where to turn for help as this matter is very distressing and i know this company is gonna keep sending me bills, sorry for the long thread but would very much appreciate anyones advice
    you tried to troubleshoot the issue and they failed to provide the service so you sent the modem back and cancelled within the 14day return policy provided by the company so i dont see how you owe them anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Ignore their bills and threats, you've done everything you needed to do.

Put everything in a letter and send it by registered post. Address it to their complaints dept, or to the CEO of the company if you like (I've found that works best). Tell them, in no uncertain terms, that you will not be paying any money for their lack of service and will be ignoring their idle threats. If they do proceed with any other threats, contact Comreg first, and also contact the NCA about their behaviour.

You had 14 days to cancel, and you did so correctly. They cannot charge you anything for something you didn't use, nor charge a cancellation fee.

Make sure the bank has cancelled the direct debit (if it's not already cancelled) so that no more money can be taken.

After that, ignore everything from them, but keep any correspondence for reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 candywoman

thanks foggy lad much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 13 candywoman

thanks for reply jor el thats a good idea will send them a nice letter see where we go from there lucky enough i still have copy of authorisation form which was not dated so they ve no arguement and also have copy of form that was givin to me when the guys came to the collect the modem, i have also cancelled dd mandate so hopefully they cant get access to my account not thats there much in it anyway ha ha thanks again

Advertisement