Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive-in Cinema for Cork

Options
  • 25-07-2010 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭

THE big screens for the country’s first permanent drive-in cinema will be turned on before Christmas.

The new Co Cork venture will rekindle memories of 1950s American waitresses taking orders from courting couples in Buicks, Mustangs and Chevrolets.

Cork County Council has granted planning permission for two massive outdoor screens at the Fota Retail Park, where there will also be 200 parking bays.

But, unlike the US nearly 60 years ago, those coming to see the big screen experience won’t have to keep their engines running to stay warm in the winter months.

"We will be providing our patrons with portable propane heaters so they don’t have to keep their car engine running to stay warm. Also, if it rains we will provide them with canopies so their windscreens won’t get wet and they can see out," John Caulfield said.

John and his business partner, Stephen Redmond, who is also from Cork, have formed the company Drive-In Cinemas Ireland, which will carry out the development.

"We looked at a couple of venues and decided that Carrigtwohill was the right one because it had good road access. We were delighted to get planning from the county council and hope to start construction on the site by the end of August. We envisage having it up and running before Christmas," John said.

He said the company carried out market research on the project and it was likely that the outdoor screens would attract people in their late teens and married couples looking for a different night out break from their children.

Initially they will open a 20 x 16 metre main screen, following it up later with a slightly smaller version.

"We will have waitresses taking orders for food from the cars. It will be reminiscent of 1950s America, but they will not be supplying alcoholic drink," John added.

He said initially the company was looking at screening new release Hollywood blockbusters, but if the demand was there they would also look at the possibility of screening major sporting events.

"We know it is untried and untested in this country, but from the feedback we got from our market research we believe it has huge potential," John said..

Link

I like the idea and think it will be a success.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭MRBEAVER

Park and Ride

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Bad bad bad bad idea. The ones that are run in the Showgrounds annually are a disaster. It seems like a fantastic idea, until you realise sitting in your car for 2 hours is not as comfortable as you might imagine. Then, with your engine off, your windows start to fog up. And your car ends up stinking of popcorn.

The ones in the Showgrounds probably aren't the best example - all they show is stuff that's cheap to project - The Great Escape, etc - but I think people will go to this once or twice for a novelty and that'll be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

ya to be honest i would rather be in a nice warm cinema than stuck in the car for two hours with windows fogging up etc.
    One of the great things about a good cinema is the sound quality , thats non existant through most car speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

I've been to showgrounds where it was done before , the idea is great but sitting in your car for two and a half hours was not pleasant.

Knowing the wonderful Irish weather, we'll go, it'll be fine, the forecast will be fine, and then half way through the heavens will open and we'll be watching the movie with wipers on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Knowing the wonderful Irish weather, we'll go, it'll be fine, the forecast will be fine, and then half way through the heavens will open and we'll be watching the movie with wipers on!

They'll be providing canopies though.. but knowing this country they'll charge you through the roof for them (no pun intended)..

"We will be providing our patrons with portable propane heaters so they don’t have to keep their car engine running to stay warm. Also, if it rains we will provide them with canopies so their windscreens won’t get wet and they can see out," John Caulfield said.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭kev250

Your right there paintdoctor but sure we are used of the rain:(
    It seems like something to do once or twice but you cant beat the cinema unless your in love with your car.
    Cant refuse it for cork tho:)

<Ollie> wrote: »

Okay. Propane heaters and cars are not a good thing to mix.

And if the cars are under canopies, how do they propose to cancel out the noise of the rain hitting the canopy, and magic away the rain between the canopies and the screen so you can see things properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Okay. Propane heaters and cars are not a good thing to mix.

And if the cars are under canopies, how do they propose to cancel out the noise of the rain hitting the canopy, and magic away the rain between the canopies and the screen so you can see things properly?

That's all part of fun PD. Think you might be better off in Mahon Point Cinema by the sound of it. :)

I just don't think they've thought it through. I work under a canopy occasionally if it's raining lightly - not heavily - and the noise can be deafening at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

what if a transit pulls in with the extended family in the back...

if you are the car behind, surly your view would be obstructed? its a flat parking area i presume?

whats to stop ppl jumping outta their cars, sitting on bonnets, roaming around ect?

its an interesting idea of a thing, im a bit unsure about it at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Yeah - I ever thought about that. What if you're in a Micra and there's an enormous Chelsea tractor in front of you?
    <Ollie> wrote: »

I like the idea and think it will be a success.

I like the idea and think it will be a flop.

My new car is way more comfortable than my last but a cinema seat would still be more comfortable. It's got a decent stereo but it's still not going to be as good as a cinema and unless you're in the first few rows I can't see the screen being as easy to see either.

I hate to be negative but I can see it having a small boom and then tumbleweeds once it loses it's novelty. Unless it becomes the country's dogging destination of choice :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I'm really looking forward to trying it. I don't think perfect sound or picture was ever a feature of a drive in - it's just a fun experience isn't it?
    I imagine that you'd still go to a traditional cinema for that, and the drive in would be like a special case, going for the sake of the experience. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

Yeah - I ever thought about that. What if you're in a Micra and there's an enormous Chelsea tractor in front of you?

I like the idea and think it will be a flop.

My new car is way more comfortable than my last but a cinema seat would still be more comfortable. It's got a decent stereo but it's still not going to be as good as a cinema and unless you're in the first few rows I can't see the screen being as easy to see either.

I hate to be negative but I can see it having a small boom and then tumbleweeds once it loses it's novelty. Unless it becomes the country's dogging destination of choice :eek:

Ah! it's a grand idea, feck the begrudgers, just don't go if you can't stand your car, you cant beat a drive-in for a change!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

its cetainly an interesting idea, im not sure if it will last though,

i mght be missing something here, but how do you listen to the film:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

^^^Tune in to a certain frequency in your radio AFAIK

It would be something a bit different. I think I'll go when it opens. Once.

Which makes it worse again! FM radio is sampled at 22KHz, which is half the quality of CD Audio. So not only are you going to miss out on the fantastic sound which normally makes going to the cinema an experience, you're going to get watered down washed out sound from your 10 watt car stereo on top of it.

I think it'll be a novelty, everyone'll go once, maybe twice, and then go back to a normal cinema. Can't see it lasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

To be honest ( im from Dub) its a great idea! There are shows held twice a year in Farmleigh and its a great success. Sound comes through your radio and to be honest, its not bad at all. As reguards to a van parking in front of you, people with large vans or jeeps are told to park at the back.

Dont know about the heaters that they are going to supply !! :confused: me and the missus just threw a duvet over us and had pillows and knocked the seats back....100% more comfortable than the cinema. Its also cheaper as well as you can bring your own food with you.Yea, windows get a little steamy, but you just open them a little. There is no way they will charge for the canopy...its the only thing that will keep this idea alive in Ireland, its a necessity !

Great idea, hope it works out for the lads involved and hope it comes to Dublin soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Might not last but fair dues to them for doing it.

People are often asking 'what is there to do in Cork' , so the more things like this that start up the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

gramlab wrote: »
    Might not last but fair dues to them for doing it.

People are often asking 'what is there to do in Cork' , so the more things like this that start up the better.

Ah, t'is something else to do. Bet ya it will take a few boy racers off the road for a while. iwouldnt knock it.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SandStone

gaz wac wrote: »
    To be honest ( im from Dub) its a great idea! There are shows held twice a year in Farmleigh and its a great success.

Obviously not enough of a success to make it worth holding more than twice a year though. And that's in a city the size of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

SandStone wrote: »
    Obviously not enough of a success to make it worth holding more than twice a year though. And that's in a city the size of Dublin.

Its free !! there are other place around Dub that they (Gov) have these set up, Smithfield, TempleBar...I just dont go to those ones. Its always packed and tickets are highly sought. Got mine yesterday for four films on the 7th / 8th Aug...Happy days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

All i need now is a nice 1950's american car with a V8 engine to show up in with a few chicks

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

No radio plugs or media adverts that I've seen or heard, and a website with no info a week before the first showing???

This isn't a task from the apprentice, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I saw some construction there over the weekend - great to hear it's nearly live.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I am so excited about the prospect of this - as I grew up in Australia as a child (albeit better weather than here) and I have the most fantastic memories of Drive In Movies - as a family outing.

Mum and dad would be in the front seat, my brother and I in the back with pillows and blankets and it was a great family night out - sitting in the back with our popcorn, hotdogs etc. My brother and I used to fall asleep half way through some of the films, but it was such a fun way for the family to be together - and I suppose when we did conk out - it meant my parents had a bit of time to just enjoy the film themselves. (Great way to save on babysitters too).

There used to be couples, groups, all ages, in other cars around us and a little cafe, where you could get hotdogs, etc. and most importantly "use the loos". But this time around, I'll be in the driver's seat, with my parents in the back seat. Ha Ha - I'll be in control!!!

And whoever says nothing ever happens in Cork - "hello" are they actually living in Cork....................

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Chips and burgers in Carrigtwohill? I'll just stop at Frank's on the way...

try ordering a bag of chips and a burger at the indoor cinemas!!!

Do you really want a list of pros and cons ? :pac:
    Sitting in my car watching a movie eating burgers and chips seems like a rather rotten evening out to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CIND

nightster1 wrote: »
    Ah! it's a grand idea, feck the begrudgers, just don't go if you can't stand your car, you cant beat a drive-in for a change!

NEGATIVE PEOPLE WOULD WANT TO GET OVER THEMSELVES THERE IS ENOUGH DOOM AND GLOOM IN THIS COUNTRY WITH WHATS GOING ON AROUND US SOME PEOPLE TRY AND COME ABOVE AND RECTIFY THIS BY DOING SOME GOOD FOR CORK AND OUR YOUNGER SOCIETY AND WHAT IN RETURN NEGATIVE FEEDBACK PEOPLE LIKE THIS MAKE ME SOO ANGRY I FOR ONE WILL BE SO EXCITED FOR THIS NEW VENTURE THERE IS VERY LITTLE IN THE CARRIGTWOHILL AREA WITH A VERY BIG POPULATION IT WILL WORK DEFO I WILL BE THE FIRST PERSON THERE WITH MY HUSBAND!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

CIND wrote: »
    NEGATIVE PEOPLE WOULD WANT TO GET OVER THEMSELVES THERE IS ENOUGH DOOM AND GLOOM IN THIS COUNTRY WITH WHATS GOING ON AROUND US SOME PEOPLE TRY AND COME ABOVE AND RECTIFY THIS BY DOING SOME GOOD FOR CORK AND OUR YOUNGER SOCIETY AND WHAT IN RETURN NEGATIVE FEEDBACK PEOPLE LIKE THIS MAKE ME SOO ANGRY I FOR ONE WILL BE SO EXCITED FOR THIS NEW VENTURE THERE IS VERY LITTLE IN THE CARRIGTWOHILL AREA WITH A VERY BIG POPULATION IT WILL WORK DEFO I WILL BE THE FIRST PERSON THERE WITH MY HUSBAND!

People who don't flick off their 'Caps Lock' key and who flagrantly disregard punctuation..
    CIND wrote: »
    ..MAKE ME SOO ANGRY

Advertisement