Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive-in Cinema for Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

I hope this succeeds, I really do. However, launching a drive in movie theatre at the start of winter in Ireland strikes me as a bit bonkers. Disagree? Take a look outside today ;) Some things translate well from
    the States, others don't. You decide which category this fits into :D

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Max001 wrote: »
    I hope this succeeds, I really do. However, launching a drive in movie theatre at the start of winter in Ireland strikes me as a bit bonkers. Disagree? Take a look outside today ;) Some things translate well from
    the States, others don't. You decide which category this fits into :D

While I agree with you, it could be a nice Christmas outing for the family

CIND wrote: »
    NEGATIVE PEOPLE WOULD WANT TO GET OVER THEMSELVES THERE IS ENOUGH DOOM AND GLOOM IN THIS COUNTRY WITH WHATS GOING ON AROUND US SOME PEOPLE TRY AND COME ABOVE AND RECTIFY THIS BY DOING SOME GOOD FOR CORK AND OUR YOUNGER SOCIETY AND WHAT IN RETURN NEGATIVE FEEDBACK PEOPLE LIKE THIS MAKE ME SOO ANGRY I FOR ONE WILL BE SO EXCITED FOR THIS NEW VENTURE THERE IS VERY LITTLE IN THE CARRIGTWOHILL AREA WITH A VERY BIG POPULATION IT WILL WORK DEFO I WILL BE THE FIRST PERSON THERE WITH MY HUSBAND!

Great 1st post ;) Is your husband involved in this by any chance ? Any members of the younger society who have a car aren't short of things to do, they can drive to a nice warm, comfy cinema for example :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

CIND wrote: »
    NEGATIVE PEOPLE WOULD WANT TO GET OVER THEMSELVES

YOU KNOW WHAT?

sorry ;)

To hell with being called negative - this is a stupid ****ing idea. It will not work. Five minutes into the first movie anybody sees, they're going to realise how crappy the experience is compared to watching it in a real cinema, or lets face it, downloading it and watching it at home. I have a decent sound system and comfy seats in my car but I still wouldn't want to watch a movie there, and god forbid, cross a car park in the rain if I need to wee halfway through. And launching in winter? That's just the icing on the cake. You think they'd launch in summer to not only try to take advantage of any good weather we have, but also in the hope that the draw of the big summer blockbusters would keep them afloat. They'll be lucky to even survive until the summer. That would be fine if it was their own money they were losing, but ultimatly we all know at this stage, it's our money they're spending. Everytime you see a movie screening to a near empty car park, know that's your taxes hard at work.

And don't get me started on how dodgy the developer of the retail park is and what he's trying to do to Carrigtwohill....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 theprop

YOU KNOW WHAT?

That would be fine if it was their own money they were losing, but ultimatly we all know at this stage, it's our money they're spending. Everytime you see a movie screening to a near empty car park, know that's your taxes hard at work.

And don't get me started on how dodgy the developer of the retail park is and what he's trying to do to Carrigtwohill....

The land the screen is being built on is leased from the Fota Retail Park owner by the lads involved in Movie Junction, the only taxes hard at work will be the ones that Movie Junction pays on VAT and on the 15 new employees they're hiring.

• Advertisement

That's about all I heard about the financial side of it, but I seriously doubt that the project was done with only their capital. I could of course be entirely wrong, but I suspect that a bank loan was invovled. When that turns into a bad debt, who's going to pay for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

In fairness, at least it gets dark early in winter and it's not like you can bank on dry summer nights here.

I wish this thing the best. Could be fun with the right movies.

Don't get me wrong - I'd love to see it succeed. And even if it doesn't, it will create some jobs in the meantime. I honestly just can't see it working. Today's probably an extreme example, but who'd go to a drive in today?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

who'd go to a drive in today?

it'd be great if it was a horror film. nice and atmospheric!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

OK - reading half the posts up here on this subject has made me realise I am soooooooo part of a different generation. I'm 46 and as I said previously, LOVED the experience as a child - but my parents, who were in their early 30's at the time LOVED it also. And when I told them recently about this - they had a good old laugh, as they want to be in the back seat (and they're 70!!!).

I'm assuming half the posters here are of a certain age category - i.e. the celtic cubs.

Don't knock something - give it a chance - it could be a great success and if it isn't, well, at least they tried something different!!! And on a night like this - nobody with any sense will be going anywhere, if there's a storm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I loved going to Drive-ins as a kid and even found one later in my 20s that was a lot of fun. I am really looking forward to this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭eurokev

YOU KNOW WHAT?

sorry ;)

To hell with being called negative - this is a stupid ****ing idea. It will not work. Five minutes into the first movie anybody sees, they're going to realise how crappy the experience is compared to watching it in a real cinema, or lets face it, downloading it and watching it at home. I have a decent sound system and comfy seats in my car but I still wouldn't want to watch a movie there, and god forbid, cross a car park in the rain if I need to wee halfway through. And launching in winter? That's just the icing on the cake. You think they'd launch in summer to not only try to take advantage of any good weather we have, but also in the hope that the draw of the big summer blockbusters would keep them afloat. They'll be lucky to even survive until the summer. That would be fine if it was their own money they were losing, but ultimatly we all know at this stage, it's our money they're spending. Everytime you see a movie screening to a near empty car park, know that's your taxes hard at work.

We should all just roll over and die will we and forget about trying to take chances... Pfff.I couldnt care whos money people are spending once theyre making an effort and doing some good for the country. If it works we will make hundreds times more back on vat, rates, taxes etc etc

I really like the idea, and really hope it works for them and are rewarded for taking the chance. Ill certainly give them some support

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I think this sounds like a great idea - there was a piece in the echo about it tonight and they seem to have everything figured out - the heat, the fogging up of the windows, rain and bigger cars blocking your view - the solutions being propane heaters, canopies covering your windscreen and the parking is sloped towards the screen so you'll be able to see the screen without other cars blocking your view.

I'd give it a go anyway and see what i think! Although it is a risky time to be opening something like this alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

That's about all I heard about the financial side of it, but I seriously doubt that the project was done with only their capital. I could of course be entirely wrong, but I suspect that a bank loan was invovled. When that turns into a bad debt, who's going to pay for it?

Sure lets never give out loans again. Problem solved.

Are you for real?!

So let's give out loans to any twit who comes looking for them and value the land disproportionately?

I hate being this long winded about things but, hey, I'm bored...

I'm going to give the people who run movie juntion every credit. I'm sure they did their research, have a viable busness plan and the drive to make things happen.

What I feel, and what everybody else I've spoken to about it feels is that it will be a flop. Everybody's excited about it, myself included, and everybody hopes it will do well, but people can't see past the drawbacks of watching a movie in your car vs the comfort of an ordinary cinema or on your own sofa. A lot of people think they'll go once and never go again.

I think the choice of film is also unwise. I know a lot of adults love Harry Pothead too, but starting out with a kids film? I know I neither want to sit in the back myself or have kids standing on my back seats so they can see. When bringing kids you'd have to always hope it's an awesome movie. Have you ever tried to spend any length of time in a stationary car with kids? Nightmare.

I could of course be wrong. A lot of people have said they'll try it out, and if turns out to be awesome they'll get a lot of repeat business. There might also be enough people who for whatever reason (laziness, angry lonerism, etc.) would prefer to watch a movie in their car than go to a regular cinema to keep the business going.

TBH, if it's still running this time next year I'll be surprised. I certainly wouldn't expect it to last longer than 18 months. I don't know what way their finances are structered, but (speculation I know) I doubt if they'll pay back the bank in that time. It's my opinion that this is an excessive risk for a bank to be taking in this climate.

So, I'm not being negative for the sake of being negative. It's almost FF propaganda at this stage that anybody who can be seen as a 'doom and gloom merchant' is contrary to the national interest. I'd love to see the banks lending and the economy growing. I just don't want to see them throwing away money on pie in the sky stuff like this. I'm not being negative - I'm being a realist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

In the US going to the drive-in is usually cheaper than a regular theatre and that is part of the draw. Has anyone seen any details on pricing? All I can find on google are articles about it but nothing from the actual theatre with pricing and times and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

€16 per car & tiered parking!

I'm going to miss the opening night as I'll be away - but as soon as I'm back I'm heading down. I think it's a great idea.
    I've no idea if it's a viable business or not, that's up to the lads that run it.
    All I care about is it sounds like brilliant fun.
    I also don't care if the fidelity of the audio isn't quite up to cinema standards - I've got easy access to cinemas for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Brilliant they could get this done woohoo cant wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

This is their website

www.moviejunction.ie

It looks pretty impressive anyway:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭dodger50

An "economy mode" setting kicks in in my car after about 15 mins shutting down the radio.
    Is the Harry Potter movie longer than this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Sure, bring along a little radio and a few batteries :)

Bliss, you can listen to VictorBarry while herself eats her chips and tries to lip read HP in Dolby 5.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

I think this is a fantastic idea and I hope it works out for them. Cant bloody wait to go!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

At first I was a bit skeptical.

But if you think about it, this just might work. The movie industry is one of the few that has remained intact these last couple of years. Current movie attendance has been consistent for over a decade. It never seems to nosedive so there is a market for this. And apparently the Irish are one of the highest in Europe for cinema attendance.

It appears to be good value. You can bring along your own food and drinks if you want.
    It also sounds like a lot of fun to just drive there with a few friends. You can have a laugh before and after and during you'll be able to pass a quick comment or discussion regarding the movie without disturbing others. Also you won't have to put up scumbags idiots constantly chatting and playing their latest ringtones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

blow69 wrote: »
    Also you won't have to put up scumbags idiots constantly chatting and playing their latest ringtones.

Yeah now they can only beep the horn & play exvessively loud music if they get bored of the film sound track!

I hope this venture goes well though, it might encourage other businesses to provide alternative forms of entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

Did anyone sign up for the email to inform them when tickets go on sale? I haven't heard anything yet.

It sounds like a great idea and I would love for it do well. But it's less than a week away and still not taking bookings? Not the best strategy!

If I don't get an email soon I'm going to book tickets to see Harry Potter in our local cinema as tickets will more than likely sell out quickly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

What a perfect idea for a date. This looks like so much fun,I'l definitely be heading along to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I emailed also and haven't heard anything back and wanted to be there for Harry Potter night - but I drove past on Friday evening after work, just so I could see exactly where it was - and was kind of horrified to find that the sceen isn't even finished yet - I know that's the easiest bit to do but the fencing was still up, so I couldn't see anything but I did meet a few builders, had a chat with them and they didn't think it would be ready this week and apparently the owners wanted to have a special launch night this Thursday, I assume a press night. So I'm dying to get there and support this venture but it's going to be difficult if they can't even reply to future customers seeking tickets??? So if anyone is reading this involved in the project - PLEASE contact your potential customers - and keep us updated..... JUDES

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

dodger50 wrote: »
    An "economy mode" setting kicks in in my car after about 15 mins shutting down the radio.
    Is the Harry Potter movie longer than this?

Do you have a key for your car? If you do then look up the owners manual that came with your car and it'll teach you how to use it. Check imdb if your wondering if the film is longer than 15 minutes.

• Advertisement

gpf101 wrote: »
    Do you have a key for your car? If you do then look up the owners manual that came with your car and it'll teach you how to use it. Check imdb if your wondering if the film is longer than 15 minutes.

Nice one thanks! I looked it up for you and aparently at 146 mins long, I'd have to start the engine about 10times or so during the movie. Looking forward to that! It sounds like a great night out.

Also, as you are no doubt aware, running some engines for a short period can lead to flooding problems . . .

That being said, I wish the venture well. Enjoy

Advertisement