Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive-in Cinema for Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

Someone rang me asking was I interested in booking tickets for a show next week. I said I was and they proceeded to ask for card details. I was in work at the time and couldnt continue with the call but f****d if I'm giving my card details to a stranger on the phone. He said he'd ring back after 6:30(yesterday) but never did!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

So is anyone going tomorrow night then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Hope so cant wait to try it out.

Edit: On Facebook they said they are opened at 5.30 on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

Lemag wrote: »
    So is anyone going tomorrow night then?

Yes, booked by paypal on their website. Even booked the grub! Let's see how it goes...I'll report back

nightster1 wrote: »
    Yes, booked by paypal on their website. Even booked the grub! Let's see how it goes...I'll report back
    Nice one. I hope it goes well but... I'd also so be interested to find out how well equiped they are for the rain etc. so if it'll be miserable for the trailers say.. Looking forward to hearing your verdict.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 whatrecession

Hi Guys,

Have been to the drive-in last night for a prelaunch show. Fab fab fab. Heaters provided, no foggy windows. Food yummy! Great atmosphere, most people got out of their cars before the movie and were chatting, really cool. It was raining last night and we didn't realise it, so the canapies over the the cars work!!
    Defo recommend it!!!!
    My new night out/in.... no dressing up/make up. Just go comfy and no moving from the car!! went with my boyfriend, perfect!
    Enjoy!! can't recommend it enough. PS never been to one before and very impressed, everything was perfect!
    Babs.

I don't mean to be a cynic but you've registered today just to post this.. I'll take what you've said with a pinch of salt and wait to hear nightstar1's impartial account of their experience before making a judgement call.

Hey Lemag, don't fret it. No biggie and not worth wondering if there is a conspiracy theory!! :) Lifes too short.
    Take the post as it was meant to be, informative. I happened to hear they were doing a test of the drive in last night and happened to get in... got free sweets and food for my efforts!!
    Anyway, think there is alot of doom and gloom out there at the moment and this cheered me right up. Have booked tickets to go to HP today at the 5:30 show, with my niece and nephew... if I could figure out how to post the receipt I would but copied and pasted the receipt I received via email below.
    Anyway, if you ain't interested it won't matter, for people who are curious, I wanted to answer all the questions in the thread from earlier. I am working in Apple and everyone is buzzing about it... so just spreading the good news for a change.

Unit price Qty Amount
    Harry Potter and The Deathly Hollows
    Item# fri 5:30 , Screenings: Friday 19th 5:30PM Screening 16.00 EUR 1 €16.00 EUR
    Subtotal €16.00 EUR
    Total €16.00 EUR
    Payment €16.00 EUR
    Charge will appear on your credit card statement as "PAYPAL *MOVIEJUNCTI"
    Payment sent to orders@moviejunction.ie

whatrecession,

I didn't mean to be unwelcoming but this sort of thing is quite common place on boards so when someone comes along to offer a fairly onesided view to a debate with their one and only post it's bound to arouse suspicions.

If you are genuine then thank you for the account of your experience at the drive-in and welcome to boards.

Hey Lemag, glad if I have helped!

PS leaving work now, will update ye tomorrow with the HP experience.... 2 kids in the car, hmmmmm
    http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/rolleyes.gifhttp://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,563 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Hey Lemag, don't fret it. No biggie and not worth wondering if there is a conspiracy theory!! :) Lifes too short.
    Take the post as it was meant to be, informative. I happened to hear they were doing a test of the drive in last night and happened to get in... got free sweets and food for my efforts!!
    Anyway, think there is alot of doom and gloom out there at the moment and this cheered me right up. Have booked tickets to go to HP today at the 5:30 show, with my niece and nephew... if I could figure out how to post the receipt I would but copied and pasted the receipt I received via email below.
    Anyway, if you ain't interested it won't matter, for people who are curious, I wanted to answer all the questions in the thread from earlier. I am working in Apple and everyone is buzzing about it... so just spreading the good news for a change.

Unit price Qty Amount
    Harry Potter and The Deathly Hollows
    Item# fri 5:30 , Screenings: Friday 19th 5:30PM Screening 16.00 EUR 1 €16.00 EUR
    Subtotal €16.00 EUR
    Total €16.00 EUR
    Payment €16.00 EUR
    Charge will appear on your credit card statement as "PAYPAL *MOVIEJUNCTI"
    Payment sent to orders@moviejunction.ie

Is €16.00 the cost per person or vehicle?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is €16.00 the cost per person or vehicle?

Per vehicle and you can cram and many in as you'd like according to their website. However, I presume that they are not condoning the flaunting of the law regarding the legal number of passengers when travelling there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,982 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Hmmmmm! a new place for Neill Prendervile to hang out, look out for heavily misted windscreens:eek:

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

How would you know the Kerryman at this new drive in Cinema?

He would be the one seen with a knife slashing the seats. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

Any feedback - how did it go? Would love to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Newview

I'm booked to go tonight; I'm looking forward to it. It's something new anyway.

Quick question: I do not have a printer and therefore I dont have my receipt in hardcopy. Do the cashiers/ticket people check you in by name or do you need to show them something?

Newview wrote: »
    I'm booked to go tonight; I'm looking forward to it. It's something new anyway.

Quick question: I do not have a printer and therefore I dont have my receipt in hardcopy. Do the cashiers/ticket people check you in by name or do you need to show them something?

You probably need a ref no or card with you at entrance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

any reviews that arent from people who play a hand in the owning/running of it :rolleyes:

i heard the screen is just scaffolding with a white screen placed around the scaffolding?

is it wrapped tightly or is there ripples?

ill assume the projector they use can only be used at night meaning in the summer they will be screwed with only late showings?

unbiased opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 audab

Just back from watching Harry Potter. Not my first choice of movie but herself is a big fan.

Have to say I really enjoyed the whole thing. What I hate about going to the cinema is other people: rusting sweet wrappers, coughing, texting, getting up to go to the toilet etc. None of this here, just lie your seat back, set the volume on the car radio how you like it and relax. You can talk during the film if you want: great for me because I'm not a big potter fan so I needed regular explanations about what was going on.

Having said that, there were a couple of small things.

It was very slow going in. Everybody has to go through the same two queues and we were waiting ages while everybody ahead of us ordered food. We'd already eaten so I think there should be some sort of express queue if you don't want to order. Prices were high but probably par for the course for a cinema. Seemed to be a wide menu.

Traffic management was a bit rough and ready as well but it seemed to work OK and we got out very quickly at the end.

The heater did a good job in keeping the windscreen clear, but there are a lot of cables. The woman backing into the space beside me backed over her's and nearly pulled all the cables with her. I had visions of the whole canopy coming down on top of us. Heater was also pretty hot to handle.

Screen was grand, definitely not just a sheet pulled over scaffolding. I did wonder though how it would work in summer.

Overall, I definitely enjoyed it and would recommend going. The trailer for the new Tron movie looked good!

BArra wrote: »
    any reviews that arent from people who play a hand in the owning/running of it :rolleyes:

i heard the screen is just scaffolding with a white screen placed around the scaffolding?

is it wrapped tightly or is there ripples?

ill assume the projector they use can only be used at night meaning in the summer they will be screwed with only late showings?

unbiased opinions?

Well, I went last night, 2 of us in the car, more than 2 means back seat passengers get a v uncomfortable view.

Place looks a bit makeshift, hardcore roads and ramps for parking, portaloos and portakabins for tickets and food, Plenty of scaffolding and temporary gates. You can pick up a portable heater to keep your windscreen clear. They give you a frequency to tune your radio into for sound. The quality is as good as your radio.

Good points:- Good view of screen for every car i could see. You can eat/drink/smoke/talk/bring your pets.

Bad points:- it gets a bit chilly after a while so bring a duvet.

Incidentally, you can see the screen clearly from the road and retail park. Next time i'll park outside for free :cool:and auto scan the radio for sound. There's a grand grassy spot outside too for deckchairs and a picnic in the summer time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

nightster1 wrote: »
    Ah! it's a grand idea, feck the begrudgers, just don't go if you can't stand your car, you cant beat a drive-in for a change!

I agree with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

the whole thing was a huge let down!!

it was running 30 mins late, the screen was just a white thing on scaffolding, you could see the bars behind it pushing against it and it had a kinda of ripple effect on the screen also the quality of the picture was poor also. the radio station for sound was 92.5fm yet there was crackling interference from another station on 93fm which was highly annoying. the staff for the food genuinly didnt have a clue even tho we mentioned our order 2 times before at the staff checkpoints then when we did get the food they tried to charge us even tho we had paid online for it already. the heater worked but it does get a little chilly having to crack the window a little for it. the canopy was nothin but a little bit of plastic that you have to manouver your windscreen under for "cover" when it rained half way through the movie it didnt help in the slightest so i had to put my wipers on.

saying that tho it was good once my initial annoyance died down but i wouldnt go to see anything i really wanted to see down there ill stick to a normal cinema for that and keep the drive in for some classic movie i wont be able to see elsewhere.

rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

if they were showing some real classics that you cant see elsewhere i might consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

the whole thing was a huge let down!!

it was running 30 mins late, the screen was just a white thing on scaffolding, you could see the bars behind it pushing against it and it had a kinda of ripple effect on the screen also the quality of the picture was poor also. the radio station for sound was 92.5fm yet there was crackling interference from another station on 93fm which was highly annoying. the staff for the food genuinly didnt have a clue even tho we mentioned our order 2 times before at the staff checkpoints then when we did get the food they tried to charge us even tho we had paid online for it already. the heater worked but it does get a little chilly having to crack the window a little for it. the canopy was nothin but a little bit of plastic that you have to manouver your windscreen under for "cover" when it rained half way through the movie it didnt help in the slightest so i had to put my wipers on.

saying that tho it was good once my initial annoyance died down but i wouldnt go to see anything i really wanted to see down there ill stick to a normal cinema for that and keep the drive in for some classic movie i wont be able to see elsewhere.

rant over.

hmmm oh dear

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

I went tonight and thought it was very good. We arrived in plenty of time and had a few minutes to spare before the start. The queue is slow moving to get in but i'm sure they'll sort it out. The heater wont exactly heat the car but it will keep the windows clear. The radio reception wasn't that bad but not perfect either. The view was clear and when the movie came on I couldn't see the scaffolding behind the screen. The only problem was the ass behind me who insisted on keeping his lights on until someone got out of their car and told him. He/She did it again half way though and I hit the hazard lights. He/She knocked them straight off again.

I wasn't freezing but I would advise anyone to cover up well. A blanket would be helpful and wooly socks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

Was there tonight and found it fine. The heater kept the window screen clear but did little to heat the car so bring a blanket.I was in the front row so the view was fine, as was the sound. Staff were friendly. It did look a bit like a building site , road surface wise. I'd go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

Any signs of a car with a fecked battery not being able to start back up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

babo9 wrote: »
    Any signs of a car with a fecked battery not being able to start back up :D

yeah i was wondering would that happen? if the battery was in any way dodgy an hour and half long movie would surely kill it:confused:

Sounds like an awful evening out, presume they have a booster pack for any cars that run their battery down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

awful!

Advertisement