Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive-in Cinema for Cork

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I'm kind of on the fence about this now. I thought the majority of poeple who liked it would see it only as a novelty and not go again, but from what I've heard from the people who went is they will go again. I think it's going to be really popular with smokers and people who like to talk during movies. Hopefully we'll see less of them in the regular cinemas :)

I know one couple who'll be splitting up over it though. She smokes and he hates it, and he'll never get to watch another movie in peace :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

It wouldn't have been so bad if I knew what the hell what was going on in the film, other than that it was OK.

Oh, didn't realise our heater wasn't working until have way through the movie, the windscreen didn't fog up for ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Was thinking of going but their website doesn't seem to be up to much. Only giving info for shows last wednesday and thursday. No details of any other screenings??

How are you supposed to book if they have nothing to book??

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

gramlab wrote: »
    Was thinking of going but their website doesn't seem to be up to much. Only giving info for shows last wednesday and thursday. No details of any other screenings??

How are you supposed to book if they have nothing to book??

They probably have a few teething problems that will ease out with time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭i like pie

did anyone have backseat passengers with them? were they able to see the screen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 AnotherTool

i like pie wrote: »
    did anyone have backseat passengers with them? were they able to see the screen?

Was in the backseat of a car, had to pull down the armrest in between the 2 seats and rest my head on that to see the screen. I didn't mind but I can imagine that some people would hate it. Definitely wouldn't recommend having more than 3 people to a car

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

id say this place has seen a big drop in business this week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Any more recent reviews? Was going to book next week but now in two minds after the mixed reviews. The website is poor, surely they could have managed more pictures of everything up and running rather than a building site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

The successful American model is based on a number of premis:

A: Weather. A good proportion of balmy nights.

B: The convertible luxury car.

C: Big screen and attraction back when the cinemas was small and poky.

D: An affluent 'yuppie' youth culture.

Difficulties here is undoubtedly bad weather, as mentioned on the Summer Festival events in the Show Grounds, many were cancelled due to storms and vicious weather ~ that's our summer actually and not long hot lazy humid nights.

We don't have those luxury cars with fitted benches and deep pile carpets anymore, it's plastic fantastic from Japan.

We do have Home Cinema and projection TV in our homes and most now have some wide screen with either Internet or Subscription service.

We are all broke and I can't see the organisers making money giving out gas heaters at what we'd expect to pay for sitting on our cramped little boxes.

And finally, drink was mentioned. So we, in the fifties, as teenagers had a free car from mum & dad, pocket money, we could drink beer and make out with the chicks ~ you know I just don't see that happening here, it's a bygone culture ~ great or the summer festival for FUN!

Otherwise most teenagers go bushing. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I felt fair thick when I turned up at the drive in and spotted the signs saying 'Tune your Radio to....'. I always take the radio front off and bring it inside when I park up to stop car thieves robbing it, I forgot to bring it out that night to the drive in.....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Trilix

We're late on the bandwagon. Only went tonight. We just loved it! For €16 we got out of the house and had a proper old fashioned date without the booze and the hangovers. It was great.

We're smokers so himself doesn't like the movies, and a DVD at home on a Saturday night feels like any other night of the week.

At least going to movie junction means we can leave the house on a Saturday night without spending a fortune.

We brought a blanket, and cups if tea and could chat, smoke, fart (him), text...

For us it's way better than the cinema. Living in this country where there are so few alternatives to boozy nights out, this was excellent.

Sound is only as good as your car stereo, ours is good.

The Screen... looks disappointing at the start, but you soon don't notice it as you get drawn into the movie.

Generally, the place looks a bit crummy (we went for a look to see where it was in the afternoon) it looks a little unfinished. But again, you're there to see a movie, everything else doesn't matter.

Finally.... Halfway through the movie an incredibly bright crescent moon appeared in the black-blue sky. Really adds to the atmosphere.

We'll definitely be back.

Can I just ask? Did all those people who slated it on this board before it even opened, actually go? I honestly can't believe people's ignorance. Who cares if they make or lose money, it's not your money. I just imagine those critics are not entrepreneurs, and have never taken a risk so don't understand the spirit of new ventures.

As I say, an entertaining and cheap alternative to the pub scene. Give it a go. All you have to lose is €16. You might surprise yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭jos22

so do they show any of the movies that made the American drivin's famous like the movies from the grind-houses on NY 42nd street.

IF not they should Halloween show classic like evil dead and I spit on your grave. I'd go to it then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

I've been a few times and I liked it but I'd love if they showed classic films.
    Than again if they did they might go the way of the kino.

Advertisement