Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where is bluetooth device on my pc?

• 25-07-2010 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

I have an old Aldi PC which came with bluetooth and I've just got the new Aldi pc without bluetooth.

The old pc has motherboard MS-7091. According to control panel the bluetooth is "MSI Bluetooth USB" -

so my question is, does this mean there is some usb dongle attached to some usb port inside on the motherboard - as I can't see any externally - and if so, is it simply a case of taking the dongle off the board, finding drivers, and attaching it to the motherboard on the new pc..

Or would it be easier to buy a mini dongle and just keep it external!

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

so my question is, does this mean there is some usb dongle attached to some usb port inside on the motherboard - as I can't see any externally - and if so, is it simply a case of taking the dongle off the board, finding drivers, and attaching it to the motherboard on the new pc..

MS-7091

I dont see there being any Bluetooth on that board... Either way if it was a component of the board, there is no way of transferring it from one board to another. Just buy a cheap USB bluetooth device...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Hi Jonathan, what I meant was, rather than there was bluetooth on the motherboard, could there be an onboard usb slot - which a bluetooth usb dongle is attached to? I think there must be as I have bluetooth - and the Device Manager says it is usb...

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

MS-7091

I dont see there being any Bluetooth on that board.

Page 23:
    USB Wireless LAN Connector: JUSB2
    This connector is specially designed to connect to the USB wireless device.

(Note the presence of a 3.3V supply as well as 5V)

The Bluetooth module is likely built-in to the MSI bracket...
    http://www.thg.ru/mainboard/20021007/onepage.html
    "MSI is the only manufacturer to offer a Bluetooth interface for wireless peripherals (e.g., printer or cell phone). The Bluetooth device is integrated in a USB adapter cable and shares one USB port. Removing the sticker on the second USB port on the adapter module (see picture) and hooking up a USB device will render Bluetooth inoperative. "

So, while the module connects to the host on USB, the internal connector is non-standard and the module possibly operates on 3.3V instead of 5V.

Snowbat wrote: »
    Page 23: USB Wireless LAN Connector: JUSB2

Is that not just the wireless, as opposed to the Bluetooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Had one, it died, bought another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

OP, I've used one of these for over 3 years, had no trouble using it on XP, Vista and Windows 7

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.24

Price includes post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Is that not just the wireless, as opposed to the Bluetooth.
    Could be (and the wording does indicate wifi) but the pinouts are suitable for both. Given the pinout functions and the existence of other MSI boards with a USB/Bluetooth bracket that use the same style mobo connector, I'd say there is a strong possibility that the MSI 7091 Bluetooth module plugs in there.

Also, MSI are pushing Bluetooth as a Wireless LAN technology:
    "Bluetooth Leads you into the new era of Wireless LAN!"
    http://service.msicomputer.com/index.php?func=techexpressdesc2&express_no=68

Snowbat wrote: »
    I'd say there is a strong possibility that the MSI 7091 Bluetooth module plugs in there.

Yeah I would be thinking similarly. Its unusual enough to see a PC motherboard (i.e. not a laptop) that comes with bluetooth built in. Either way, I think the OP should just buy a USB adapter, they are cheap enough and easy to set up.... plus you will be able to bring it with you if you get a new PC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Thanks for all your replies. I ended up deciding against taking the old pc apart and buying an adaptor as per your suggestions - went with the Argos bluetooth adaptor for €13.99 - which looks EXACTLY like the Dealextreme €1.80 one (little usb connector with black semi circle) posted by redisle - EXACTLY the same!! I'd be tempted to order the Dealextreme one just to compare them quality wise.

Thanks again for help and advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement