Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Faith In Crisis : Rte One now

• 25-07-2010 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

Anyone watching this?

Seems to be a power battle to find the dominant opinion of where the church should be at the minute. And how this view fits in with Rome. Interesting enough.

Lots of talk of reform from the non-bishops/non-priests in the group.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Have started watching some German movie called "The Wave" on BBC4 - not turning over to listen to those muppets pontificate. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

You did well.

Got a bit messy and well, "well, I believe in the healing power of Christ and that should be our message", malarkey.

Right, I'm off to commit some more cardinal sins. Did enough sloth-ing for one day. Might look into this Acedia thingy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Dades wrote: »
    Have started watching some German movie called "The Wave" on BBC4
    Any good?

Tried to watch it last year, but film ran about 2% faster than the subtitles, making it, as time drifted by, a very surreal viewing experience indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Have started watching some German movie called "The Wave" on BBC4 - not turning over to listen to those muppets pontificate. :)

Great movie. It's based on a classic Psychological experiment.

Byron85 wrote: »
    robindch wrote: »
    Any good?
    First 40 mins or so were promising, so I recorded the rest. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

I watched ten minutes of the programme in question and promptly switched off. It was an EGM to drastically look at how the balance of power has shifted due to the abuse scandal and how best to regain their grip on power. Desperation of the highest level. It was shamefully transparent when one member said "we need tro re-invent....". At least their admitting its invented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

it was pretty bad the guy running the show let it jump all over the shop and didn't follow up on some good good questions posed to the bishops
    one of the bishops looked seriously stressed and was trying desperately hard not to say anything.

some of the prerecorded pieces were quiet good.

Also it had mary o rourke which guarantees that everybody would immediately switch over

all in all a waste of time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Don't understand why Catholics are so obsessed with talking about reform. You either except the church or they don't. You can't go changing whatever rules they don't like. They don't seem to understand that they can leave a church if they don't like it. It's like the option has just been blocked off from their mind, it doesn't cross their minds.

I'm not suggesting they leave Christianity (well I would, but not the purpose of this post).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Byron85 wrote: »

Turns out
    Germans are genetically predetermined towards nazism, rather than it being an ideology of choice
    . That's what I chose to take away from it anyway. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Don't understand why Catholics are so obsessed with talking about reform. You either except the church or they don't. You can't go changing whatever rules they don't like...
    They "except" it a lot. :P

But seriously, it's not like the church has been an unchanging monolith for the past 2000 years. Canon law is certainly subject to change, as are many of the rituals (anyone been to a mass in Latin lately?). Even doctrine changes with time - leaving the fundamentalists somewhat in Limbo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Turns out
    Germans are genetically predetermined towards nazism, rather than it being an ideology of choice

It's interesting to note then that the original experiment was carried out in the U.S in the sixties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Don't understand why Catholics are so obsessed with talking about reform. You either except the church or they don't. You can't go changing whatever rules they don't like. They don't seem to understand that they can leave a church if they don't like it. It's like the option has just been blocked off from their mind, it doesn't cross their minds.

I'm not suggesting they leave Christianity (well I would, but not the purpose of this post).

It reminds me of this whole "we need women priests" movement that's going on now. Seriously, if you want women prieststhere are plenty of other churches that have them. Go join one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Galvasean wrote: »
    It reminds me of this whole "we need women priests" movement that's going on now. Seriously, if you want women prieststhere are plenty of other churches that have them. Go join one of them.

Gets on my nerves, or when someone gives out about the child abuse stuff, so I suggest joining one of the Protestant churches and then they list reasons why they believe in Catholicism rather than any Protestant faith, and every reason is either common to most Protestant churches and Catholicism or is only present in Protestantism. It's almost like some people don't know what it is they "believe" in.

amacachi wrote: »
    Gets on my nerves, or when someone gives out about the child abuse stuff, so I suggest joining one of the Protestant churches and then they list reasons why they believe in Catholicism rather than any Protestant faith, and every reason is either common to most Protestant churches and Catholicism or is only present in Protestantism. It's almost like some people don't know what it is they "believe" in.

Simple. They were raised by nationalistic propaganda were the Protestants were made out to be the bad guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Simple. They were raised by nationalistic propaganda were the Protestants were made out to be the bad guys.

Aye, they generally also claim to have been born a Catholic, it really is amazing how consistent the pattern is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

Taken from a post of mine on the Christianity forum:

I wish the concepts Irish and Catholic weren't taken as one and the same by so many people in this country.
    The more Catholics question their faith, the better. If that leads them to atheism, yippee! If they stick with Catholicism or leave it for some other form of Christianity, at least they haven't just blindly followed their parents.

EDIT: A friend of mine, who is an atheist, recently said to me "I was born a Catholic and I'll die a Catholic!". He said this in complete seriousness, and is not an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Moreover, it doesn't seem to occur to them that the RCC is led by a dictator-for-life who has exclusive power to make doctrinal decisions and to appoint cardinals, who in turn have exclusive power to appoint bishops and archbishops, who in turn are in control of what parishes get what priests. Power trickles down imperiously from Rome, so talk about 'ordinary Catholics' reforming from within is nonsense - they have zero power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

ColmDawson wrote: »
    A friend of mine, who is an atheist, recently said to me "I was born a Catholic and I'll die a Catholic!". He said this in complete seriousness, and is not an idiot.
    Yeah, I don't think that last bit is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

mikhail wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't think that last bit is right.
    Haha, I was waiting for someone to say that.:pac:

Really though, people just don't think about religion anywhere near as much as they ought to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Turns out

Sounds an awful lot like the crazy thesis espoused in this work.

• Advertisement

This discussion reminds me of my school days.

"What Scottish football team do you support?"
    "I don't follow the Scots league."
    "Well if you did who would you support?"
    "Um, I dont know?"
    "Well you have to support Celtic."
    "Why?"
    "Coz you're Irish."
    "So why do I have to support Celtic?"
    "Because they're a Catholic team. And we hate Rangers because they are Protestants."

Of course looking back very few of the plastic Paddy Celtic fans realised that the English Premier League teams they followed were mostly Protestant too.
    Also, Hibernian are also a Catholic Scottish team founded by Irish people, but nobody here supports them. Oh yeah, they never win the league do they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Niska

ColmDawson wrote: »

EDIT: A friend of mine, who is an atheist, recently said to me "I was born a Catholic and I'll die a Catholic!". He said this in complete seriousness, and is not an idiot.

Reminded me of a Dara O'Brian speel:

Turns out
    Just finished watching it. Pretty cool stuff.

Disagree with your take on it, as humans are humans really, and alternative forms of government fail for the same reasons everywhere.

Worth a watch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Must have been a good movie if your on boards while it's on! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

This discussion reminds me of my school days.

"What Scottish football team do you support?"
    "I don't follow the Scots league."
    "Well if you did who would you support?"
    "Um, I dont know?"
    "Well you have to support Celtic."
    "Why?"
    "Coz you're Irish."
    "So why do I have to support Celtic?"
    "Because they're a Catholic team. And we hate Rangers because they are Protestants."

Of course looking back very few of the plastic Paddy Celtic fans realised that the English Premier League teams they followed were mostly Protestant too.
    Also, Hibernian are also a Catholic Scottish team founded by Irish people, but nobody here supports them. Oh yeah, they never win the league do they?

My dad's best friend is a catholic rangers fan so I used to view the whole sectarian thing with much confusion...

I support the hibees & I'm here, btw. :P

Advertisement