Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helpful items cleaning your guns

Options
  • 25-07-2010 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Just bought a couple of 250ml wash bottles on Ebay. Intend to use them when working with solvents cleaning the rifles. Look like they'll make the job a little bit cleaner and tidier.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

i try to keep my rifle as clean as possible, there are loads of gimmicks out there, just wondering what stuff would ye not be without

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

jap gt wrote: »
    i try to keep my rifle as clean as possible, there are loads of gimmicks out there, just wondering what stuff would ye not be without

swab6.jpg

Handy to get into tight spots ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Wouldn't be without... (excepting the obvious cleaning stuff)

- Bore guide.
    - Rest/cradle of some sort.
    - Chamber cleaning kit.
    - Lots & lots of bog roll.
    - 5 litre water container with a hole in the side where the barrel enters, all crap ends up in the container.
    - Q tips.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Some laugh at me for this but i always have a magnet in my cleaning stand/clamp/kit. You know for when you take out a tiny screw. It never rolls away or gets picked up by mistake then dropped on the floor as happened the 'ould fella the other night. Spent 3 hrs looking for a screw that was about 3mm long and wide.

In case you all are wondering i watched TV while he crawled around on his hands and knees. That'll teach him to laugh at my "ideas".:D

Other basics include, (other than the necessary)

Cotton buds, (for tricky ares)
    Tooth brush, (for stubborn spots)
    Towel, (like a safety net)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

ezridax wrote: »
    In case you all are wondering i watched TV while he crawled around on his hands and knees. That'll teach him to laugh at my "ideas".:D

Harsh but fair, them ould fellas think they know it all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

johngalway wrote: »
    Harsh but fair, them ould fellas think they know it all!

I think it's great how the two of them get on

Myself and the auld man can do feck all without arguing

Use an old tooth brush myself, dip it in meths and use it to clean the brass brushes.

The towel is a good idea, must find an old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

That will teach him to dissamble things in an old white clean pillow case;).At least the fiddly bits wont go far then.
    Set of dental picks and dental mirror are great for getting out crud and checking into awkward corners and places. Great if you can get one here,is the old M16 cleaner the "GI toothbrush" Brilliant piece of kit.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Good quality oils and cleaning products and definatly not products that advertise that do more than 1 thing at once. Like CLP Breakfree (clean lubricate protect) it does neither of those very well in my experience.

Snake bores.... invaluable ! There multi calibre, last for years and arent to expensive if you dont buy them in rip off Ireland.

As a very good and relatively cheap starter kit.....

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=23267/Product/M_PRO_7_trade__TACTICAL_GUN_CLEANING_KIT

The brushes included are fantastic for cleaning out recievers, gas plugs etc.

Ive added (it all fits in) a leatherman, sight adjusting tools for 2 rifles and a shotgun 4 snakebores, another bottle of oil...... oil tooth brush, scouring pad, molycoat for barrels, spare chamber flag, spare flanlette, chamber mop kit.

it all starts to pile up :P

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

And linseed oil or beeswax for the stock of course (well, back when I had a wooden stock, and still today for the pistol's grip).
    And vfg lupus cleaning paste, felts for the rod, shoot-through felts and felts for the bloop tube (all in regular and scratchy intensive clean varieties)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

KG1 and KG2 + Forrest bore foam.

Loads of push-through patches.

Lakeland cleaning whatsits - flat sponge on one end and a teeny flexible point bit on the other.

MTM cleaning station - has many uses, from cleaning long guns to setting up scopes.

...and throw away those old bore brushes the moment they start looking 'sad' - your bore is irreplaceable, so take care of it. Remember that every shot you fire wears it away.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

On this very topic of cleaning kit: Does anyone know any gunshop which is stocking nylon .30cal bore brushes?

Been searching "everywhere" and can't find them. I could order them from Sinclairs etc., but the postage would cost more than the brushes. So if anyone knows of a shop anywhere between Dublin - Cork (wide enough area) which has them regularly in stock, please let me know!? Thanks.

Here's another one for you all - What's the best and handiest way of cleaning your rifle's chamber? Any pointers, ideas, tools, tricks of the trade, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

dCorbus wrote: »
    On this very topic of cleaning kit: Does anyone know any gunshop which is stocking nylon .30cal bore brushes?

Been searching "everywhere" and can't find them. I could order them from Sinclairs etc., but the postage would cost more than the brushes. So if anyone knows of a shop anywhere between Dublin - Cork (wide enough area) which has them regularly in stock, please let me know!? Thanks.

Here's another one for you all - What's the best and handiest way of cleaning your rifle's chamber? Any pointers, ideas, tools, tricks of the trade, etc?

I order stuff from brownells (sister company to Sinclairs that i think as i shop in brownells i can add in Sinclairs products to my cart) every month or so, if you want to email me next time im putting an order in ill add yours so shipping wont be as bad (but the blood thirst vat man will also want his share)

Cleaning a rifle chamber.... if you want a kit...it says for AR rifles but ive used in several other makes.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=18227/Product/M16_AR_15_AR_10_CHAMBER_MOP

it says for AR rifles but ive used in several other makes.

TIP/TRICK...... I have the above mentioned M PRO 7 kit.... If Im stuck I use one of the bigger burshes to clean out the chamber. It wont do any damage.

Oh.... only say these now.......http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=19663/Product/AR_15_M16_AR_10_NYLON_CHAMBER_BRUSH

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Sparks wrote: »
    And linseed oil or beeswax for the stock of course (well, back when I had a wooden stock, and still today for the pistol's grip).
    And vfg lupus cleaning paste, felts for the rod, shoot-through felts and felts for the bloop tube (all in regular and scratchy intensive clean varieties)

Last time I saw a bloop tube it was on a M16! Didn't know you could get them for air rifles these days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

sfakiaman wrote: »
    Last time I saw a bloop tube it was on a M16! Didn't know you could get them for air rifles these days :D

A lot of ISSF rifles are used with them. Air rifles in particular, as most of them tend to have a very short actual rifled barrel, so the visible length is largely just sight extension tube. Some use tube and tuner combinations. I'm off out to the World Championships on Friday, going to have a word with Eric Uptagrafft about the tube and tuner combinations he's making these days.

Advertisement