Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord reference- what to write?

Options
  • 25-07-2010 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Our tenants are moving out after two years, and are asking for a reference for their new place. They were very good tenants, paid on time via direct deposit, place is in good condition. We had great communication through the mess of our letting agency disappearing (the tenants were the ones who told us!), so I definitely want to give them a good reference. They were our first tenants and so I do not know what to write?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Your name and phone number. Written references can be faked easily. When I was asked for a reference, I just gave them that info for the last landlord that I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

silja wrote: »
    Our tenants are moving out after two years, and are asking for a reference for their new place. They were very good tenants, paid on time via direct deposit, place is in good condition. We had great communication through the mess of our letting agency disappearing (the tenants were the ones who told us!), so I definitely want to give them a good reference. They were our first tenants and so I do not know what to write?

Write exactly what you said there, only with more words. Standard, formal letter is fine (your address in top right of the letter). Here's a suggestion for the rest of it.
    RE: <property address>

To Whom It May Concern,

<Tenant Name> was a tenant of mine at the above named property for <x> years from <start month & year> to <end month & year>. During this time the rent was always paid on time and the property kept in immaculate condition. Communication was excellent and there was never any issue between us. I cannot recommend them highly enough for any tenancy they wish to seek.

<Optional line about contacting you for further information if you want to provide a number>

Yours faithfully
    <name>

Advertisement