Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

creeping buttercup

Options
  • 25-07-2010 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭

buttercup have become widespread in the garden. any suggestions to get rid of them or indeed should i bother???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Unless you want a buttercup meadow I would try and get rid of them. I think your choice is weedkiller or digging them up. It depends where they are and what is around them. They can be a total pest.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

my lawn is riddled with them i used "lawn weed ,feed and mosskiller" in the spring it calmed them down a bit but they are still there, i have seen a lawn weed killer , how successfull are they and when is the recomended time to use them ie. sprimg / autumn,

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

too many of them to dig. what weedkiller should i use? will i be left with big bare patches where there are large patches of them now

so any suggestion on weedkiller? or should i feed instead

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm not an authority on weedkiller as I don't often use it. If you don't mind killing the grass a systemic weedkiller would be the best and start again. You can get spot weedkillers but if you have as many as you say that might be too big a job. There is the weed and feed for lawns but I think you might have to do it several times (seasons) to clear them completely. Don't just feed or you will have gorgeous buttercups!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

Verdone is the only man. Takes about a week to work. Grass not effected Weeds go mad growing and literally exhaust themselves. Not pretty but very effective.

ill try Verdone so thanks. i have laurel hedging around edge and trees in another part is that a problem for verdone

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

Not sure. Consult the lable/seller. If you dont spray directly onto the hedging and avoid misting (if spraying), it should be ok. I have laurel hedging down one side of the garden and it was ok. You can also apply by watering can close to hedging if you want to be sure.

Advertisement