Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you trust door 2 door people?

Options
  • 25-07-2010 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭

Well ive a little bit of a story to tell and curious to know what ye think. A mate of mine decided to try his hand at window cleaning as hes been out of job for a while and is trying everything at the moment.

Anyway, he printed off a load of business type cards and went around to peoples house in the country areas on advice from around my way cos nobody really does it in the country that im aware of. He went to thomastown/ballyhale/mullinavat areas and all were not interested and just seemed to be rude. He was charging €15 for a bungalow size and €20 for anything bigger and a few people thought that was expensive. now ive talked to other friends and they thought that was a great price and couldnt understand why people wouldnt go for it.

Do you think its the fact that these are strangers and most people are probably afraid that they are casing joints and just dont trust people anymore. Is it possible to start a business on word of mouth alone?

Just my thought for the day as I couldnt understand why people wouldnt go for it but then again, i know him.

B~

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

He's a stranger to these people and also he'll be a stranger with a ladder able to look through all their windows and as such will see whats in their houses, so he could know what to steal later.

Its all very obvious really.

I can fully understand people not wanting to hire him, if he wants to start a business tell him start locally with friends/family and build a name for himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Ptotty

It is expensive.
    I have been asked in a two story before for 5-10 Euros.
    It is possible to start a very small business this way through word of mouth though.
    It takes time though.Be patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭twitch1984

I did door to door sales for a little while and found that while people were interested in what i was selling ( house alarms) they didnt like the idea of me coming in to their house to fill out the paperwork. people just dont seem comfortable having strangers know what valuables and things they have in their house. most people will trust word of mouth from their friends so that is probably the best way for your friend to start off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

thanks folks, Ill pass on the words of wisdom, I think he has given up on the idea though.

Cheers

B~

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 hask1965

god wheres the good old days gone he should not give up so easey yes people do be affraid he should have a driving licence or passport them people will no what he looks like god on him for trying anyway nothing ells in this **** hole to do no jobs no nothing years ago people used to leave the keys in there doors any one could come in now if ya say hello to someone its like your mad:o

• Advertisement
Advertisement