Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

be careful

Options
  • 25-07-2010 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

well lads, i was out for a shot this evening on my section 42, i saw loads of does and a couple of pickets but to be honest i was more out for a walk and told my self i was not going to shoot anything to far from the jeep so i left them for another day. so i packed up and hit the road only to come across an accident just in front of me, a young buck was crossing the road and made sh*t of an Audi and its self,
    i put one threw its neck to finish it off ..
    iphoneshooting004.jpg

a few seconds earlier and it would have bin me that hit him.
    so as the tread says lads be careful on the road, i know a lot of ye will be driving around on deer infested roads in the next couple of weeks ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    .......... and a couple of pickets ...................

Stop shooting in housing estates. .. ....... :D:p;)

white%20fgt%20picket%20fence.jpg

Sorry couldn't help myself.

Warning well recieved though. Use the Slieve Blooms most every day and the amount of deer is increasing (on the roads that is). Had to get out and "shooo" 2 of them out of the way. The jeep sitting 25 feet from them only seemed to irritate them. Got around them and then at the next bend a "peak cap brigade" flying it. Flashed him to slow down as the deer were still on the road as i drove away from them, all he done was gave me a "Pimp Salute" and sped past me. :rolleyes:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

ezridax wrote: »
    Stop shooting in housing estates. .. ....... :D:p;)

white%20fgt%20picket%20fence.jpg

Sorry couldn't help myself.

Warning well recieved though. Use the Slieve Blooms most every day and the amount of deer is increasing (on the roads that is). Had to get out and "shooo" 2 of them out of the way. The jeep sitting 25 feet from them only seemed to irritate them. Got around them and then at the next bend a "peak cap brigade" flying it. Flashed him to slow down as the deer were still on the road as i drove away from them, all he done was gave me a "Pimp Salute" and sped past me. :rolleyes:

i'm going to have to leave that there now or no one will have a clue what your on about:D:D
    its not nice to make fun of my dyslexia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Poulo,
    Was he too far damaged to be eaten? That belly, unless it was someone's handy work, does not look to promising.

I know that places in the US, state troopers have a list of people to call to collect hit deer - for food. In some states it is a coveted list.

Deal is, that you have to get there fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

first deer of the season? and didn't cost you a round :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

FISMA wrote: »
    Poulo,
    Was he too far damaged to be eaten? That belly, unless it was someone's handy work, does not look to promising.

I know that places in the US, state troopers have a list of people to call to collect hit deer - for food. In some states it is a coveted list.

Deal is, that you have to get there fast.

he was pretty messed up. my dogs are tucking in to some as we speak :D

• Advertisement

Not trying to be flip about the deer, however, it is amazing how much damage they can do to the car.

In many areas of the world, unbeknown to the anti crowd, the biggest supporter of deer hunting is automobile insurance companies. If you hit a deer, you are almost guaranteed €1000 damage.

Don't watch if you are squeamish - deer gets hit by a race-car.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdAWVNJ6WpM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Can't believe how they can fly too.

Jesus, the driver never even missed a beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Not trying to be flip about the deer, however, it is amazing how much damage they can do to the car.

In many areas of the world, unbeknown to the anti crowd, the biggest supporter of deer hunting is automobile insurance companies. If you hit a deer, you are almost guaranteed €1000 damage.

Was in the car with a friend some time back and he hit a sika pricket. Car was a Nissan Micra, damn thing came over a ditch and landed literally right in front of the car, practically on the bonnet, at about forty miles an hour, and nearly wrote off the car. Two and a half grand's worth of damage and the deer lived. Only a small pricket, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

Did ye look at some more of them youtube videos!guys on motorbikes hitting deer!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNO88yqCr5I&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Was in the car with a friend some time back and he hit a sika pricket. Car was a Nissan Micra, damn thing came over a ditch and landed literally right in front of the car, practically on the bonnet, at about forty miles an hour, and nearly wrote off the car. Two and a half grand's worth of damage and the deer lived. Only a small pricket, too.

Iv seen cars wrote off from deer and cattle. They do some damage. Once seen a Citroen Synergie in sh1te from a deer. You would think it hit a wall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

"good afternoooooooon to you....the ward union hunt were at it again ya say, sure sure" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Cousin of mine braodsided a brand new car in 2000, they had waited years to buy a new car.

they had the car 3 weeks when whammo, write off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Saw a Volvo estate with it's front ruined by a deer on the way to Galway one day. Didn't see the deer in question until the way home, didn't look all that big to me but sure did some damage.

most modern cars are made that way, more or less to protect pedestrians in case if impact they absorb most of the force...

Or course also means that at the slightest ding while parking it'll cost 1000's of euro to fix...more money for manuefactures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

4gun wrote: »
    most modern cars are made that way, more or less to protect pedestrians in case if impact they absorb most of the force...

Or course also means that at the slightest ding while parking it'll cost 1000's of euro to fix...more money for manuefactures

I got an A-bar and a Toe Bar ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

4gun wrote: »

Yep, modern cars are designed to crumple and deform in particular and predictable ways to dissipate the impact forces away from and around the occupants of the vehicle; combine that with the (relatively) soft bumpers and other extremities designed to reduce injury to pedestrians, and you have a vehicle that doesn't need much on an impact to sustain significant/expensive damage.
    The days of the separate ladder chassis and sheet metal measured in 1/8" increments are long gone. :D

I'm reminded of something a buddy of mine tells about doing competitive off-road 4x4 events in Australia: a portion of the drivers' briefing is devoted to instruction on the correct way to hit kangaroos.
    Apparently, you can hit greys any way they happen to appear; they're small and won't do significant damage to a truck with a winch and roo-bar on the front.
    On the other hand, it was stressed that they should endeavour to hit reds on the down-stroke, so that they go under the truck. Hitting them on the up-stroke significantly increases the likelihood of them coming through the windscreen and killing you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

good job we don't have moose in ireland a mate of mine who worked in canada for years has some interesting stories :D with those lads and cars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

On that note, I've also heard that Elk (or is it moose) Evasive Driving is on the Finnish driving curriculum! Although, that may be an urban legend.

Deer Magnet: Iowa teen driver hits 5 deer in one year

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — She’s become known as “The Deer Magnet.”
    In the last 12 months, 17-year-old Kacee Larson, of the central Iowa town of Conrad, has hit five deer.
    Larson says her string of bad luck began last July when she was driving home from her job at an ice cream shop. She saw the deer just an instant before hitting it. Larson’s second encounter with a deer happened just a few months later, while she was driving to church on a Sunday morning.
    Her bad luck continued. After Larson hit her fourth deer, her pastor’s wife advised her to start praying before she got into a vehicle.

Larson says was doing just that Friday when she hit her fifth deer. The crash totaled her minivan, and the air bag gave her bruises up and down her arms.
    Larson is keeping her sense of humor, but says she can’t help asking: “Why me?”

More...
    http://www.wtsp.com/news/watercooler/story.aspx?storyid=138262&catid=58

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

dCorbus wrote: »
    On that note, I've also heard that Elk (or is it moose) Evasive Driving is on the Finnish driving curriculum! Although, that may be an urban legend.

Not sure if that's an urban legend, but the bit about having to pass skidpan training for your licence isn't...

• Advertisement

I got an A-bar and a Toe Bar ;)

I got a trooper :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Same thing, different countrys.
    Programme about them last week. A crash and the moose ended up halfway in the car. Head sticking out looking around. They are big boys

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Yep, elk* are very dangerous.

I was at a wedding in Finland last year and got talking to one of the other guests. The conversation led to shooting and he told me that he doesn't hunt but shoots a lot of elk. After a brief :eek: on my part, he explained that he was a local cop and his primary use for his pistol was to dispatch elk at RTAs.

I didn't find out if elk avoidance was part of the local driving curriculum, but from what I gather it's something learned very quickly by anyone who lives in a rural area over there.

Still, it's not the only thing motorists have to worry about over there. A few winters ago, my girlfriend's mother went out her front door only to find a wolf between her and her car. :D She had seen tracks earlier in the day, but assumed it was a big dog, since wolves are extremely rare in that part of Finland.

* Alces alces, aka "elk/elg/älg/hirvi" this side of the Atlantic and "moose" the other side. When a North American says "elk" they mean Cervus canadensis which is a different animal altogether. Very confusing.

They have wolves.....and elk.....and snow.....and saunas.....and skiing.....:D
    I think my ol' .308 needs to go back to it's homeland for a trip one of these days!!!!;)

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

They have wolves

and bears. Both protected, though bear meat was on sale in the airport.

Wolves, elk, bears, snow, beer, vodka, saunas, quality firearms......

drooling-homer.gif

Advertisement