Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New thread for the 10/11 PL Season Discussion

• 26-07-2010 1:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭

So we're about three weeks away, charity shield on soon, It's time for peoples predictions, discussion and general league chat.

Bit dissapointed United haven't bolstered up too much, Hernandez was a deadly signing though, and Berbatov is starting to perform a bit better, Nani is looking good, and so is Obertan..

Prediction

1. Man Utd
    2. Chelsea
    3. Arsenal
    4. Man City

Relegation..

18. Stoke
    19. Wolves
    20. Blackpool

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

1.Man United
    2.Arsenal
    3.Man City
    4.Chelsea

18. Wigan
    19.West Brom
    20,Blackpool

Have a feeling it will be very close at the bottom of the table

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Interested to see why you think Chelsea will be fourth, personally would love to see it myself..

Any good suggestions as to why they would be 4th, so i can start praying now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    So we're about three weeks away, charity shield on soon, It's time for peoples predictions, discussion and general league chat.

Bit dissapointed United haven't bolstered up too much, Hernandez was a deadly signing though, and Berbatov is starting to perform a bit better, Nani is looking good, and so is Obertan..

Prediction

1. Man Utd
    2. Chelsea
    3. Arsenal
    4. Man City

Relegation..

18. Stoke
    19. Wolves
    20. Blackpool

can't see any reason why stoke and wolves will be relegated. lots of good signings for wolves this year and stoke are a solid premiership team now.

my prediction:

1. Chelsea
    2. Man united
    3. Man City
    4. Arsenal

relegated...

Wigan
    Blackpool
    ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Hernandez is already a deadly signing? Heard it all now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Stoke won't go down. They'll be safe in mid table again easily.

1 Man Utd
    2 Arsenal
    3 Chelsea
    4 Man City
    5 Everton
    6 Liverpool
    ---
    18 Wigan
    19 West Brom
    20 Blackpool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Man Utd
    Chelsea
    City
    Arsenal
    Spurs
    Liverpool
    Everton
    Villa

West Brom
    Blackpool
    Wigan

Ush1 wrote: »
    Hernandez is already a deadly signing? Heard it all now...

funny, is that just because you don't support united and are having a sly dig, or is it because you don't think he's a good player? because both would be comical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

not all out optimism, but a bit from this Liverpool fan...:D

1. Chelsea
    2. Utd
    3. Liverpool
    4. City
    5. Arsenal
    6. Everton
    7. Spurs

18. Wigan
    19. West Brom
    20. Blackpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

1 - Chelsea
    2 - Manchester City
    3 - Manchester United
    4 - Arsenal

18 - Blackpool
    19 - Wigan
    20 - West Brom

Bottom is in no particular order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Alot of people going for the same bottom 3. Gonna go research some odds :)

• Advertisement

funny, is that just because you don't support united and are having a sly dig, or is it because you don't think he's a good player? because both would be comical.

No it's because you haven't seen him play a single competitive game for Manchester United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

No it's because you haven't seen him play a single competitive game for Manchester United.

He hasn't even trained with them yet!

Paleface wrote: »
    He hasn't even trained with them yet!

Yeah I know, but even without yet training with them, he is already apparently a deadly signing.

Yeah I know, but even without yet training with them, he is already apparently a deadly signing.

I've seen him playing internationally, this is the stupidest thing I've seen in a while, if liverpool/chelsea signed david villa, would you say it was a great signing, or would you have to wait to see him play before you can say hes good.

Madness at the highest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Ideal Prediction

1. Newcastle
    2. Arsenal
    3. Everton
    4. Fulham

Ideal Relegation..

18. Aston Villa
    19. Man Utd
    20. Liverpool

Realistic Prediction

1. Chelsea
    2. Man Utd
    3. Man City
    4. Arsenal

Realistic Relegation..

18. Wolves
    19. West Brom
    20. Blackpool

On a side note, I wonder what odds you'd get for City finishing ahead of United, Everton finishing ahead of Liverpool and Spurs finishing ahead of Arsenal? Probably a bit of a long shot but not out of the question I don't think

I've seen him playing internationally, this is the stupidest thing I've seen in a while, if liverpool/chelsea signed david villa, would you say it was a great signing, or would you have to wait to see him play before you can say hes good.

Madness at the highest.

How is it madness at the highest level?

How many times have you watched him play for Mexico? He only has 16 caps.

You're honestly comparing him to David Villa and are accusing me of madness?

How is it madness at the highest level?

How many times have you watched him play for Mexico? He only has 16 caps.

You're honestly comparing him to David Villa and are accusing me of madness?

I'm just saying I think it was a good signing, allow me to show why,

And Alex Ferguson backs him,

Think i've good enough reasons to think he's a deadly signing, I'm not saying he definitely will be, but I think he will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

It doesnt matter one bit what they've done at international level... Look at Shevchenko, Forlan and Robinho for example.. World renowned players that couldnt hack the Premier League. I believe he could do well but already claiming he is a deadly player is ludacris.. No problem with a fan being optimistic but claiming a deadly signing is farce. Ur following the hype around him and truth be told i wouldnt be suprised if u dont know much about him at all IMO.

Ah, you've watched Youtube compilations.

Gotta love the one sided views of the non-united people.

• Advertisement

Ah, you've watched Youtube compilations.

YouTube is great for that. Sure Ignacio Gonzales was a great signing for us because YouTube said so.

Oh wait............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oh dear, so Wolves are going down eh? and how many predicted that last season I wonder. The three Steves - Fletcher, Hunt, Mouyokolo plus Jelle Van Damme sined so far and a couple of good loaners also made permenant. With Michael Mancienne also on loan at Wolves last saeson still on the radar. Steve Morgans cheque book isn't closed yet.

That_Guy wrote: »
    YouTube is great for that. Sure Ignacio Gonzales was a great signing for us because YouTube said so.

Oh wait............

Yes because i used youtube to show some videos, that means its the only place i have seen him play, i apologise, i should have explained that i have watched matches on tv, and on the internet, how silly of me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

that's not what's happening at all.

you're being one-sided claiming he's a 'deadly' signing.

people have merely pointed out that you can't possibly know. he's not played a competitive match for you yet.

be optimistic by all means, but when you start calling a singing deadly before he's really done anything of note, wait, anything at all for the club actually, you can rightly expect a bit of opposition from fans.

Yes because i used youtube to show some videos, that means its the only place i have seen him play, i apologise, i should have explained that i have watched matches on tv, and on the internet, how silly of me :rolleyes:

Are you Denis Wise in disguise?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

How much did you know about him before April (or whenever his signing was announced)?

I would imagine not an awful lot, so you are basing it on youtube vids and the world cup. He looks a handy player, and could well light up the premier league (even though I hope he doesn't), but chances are at the least it will take him the majority of the season to get used to living and playing in England.

If you had said that you hoped he would be a deadly signing, then there would be none of this discussion I'd imagine.

SlickRic wrote: »
    that's not what's happening at all.

you're being one-sided claiming he's a 'deadly' signing.

people have merely pointed out that you can't possibly know. he's not played a competitive match for you yet.

be optimistic by all means, but when you start calling a singing deadly before he's really done anything of note, wait, anything at all for the club actually, you can rightly expect a bit of opposition from fans.

I'm not saying he's going to be the greatest player ever or anything, I just think it will turn out to be a good signing, I don't see whats so wrong with that, just comical how many people are giving out about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Oh wait............

Samaras was so awesome on YouTube that I got his name on my shirt.

Lesson learned :o

pot-kettle-black.jpg

I'm not saying he's going to be the greatest player ever or anything, I just think it will turn out to be a good signing, I don't see whats so wrong with that, just comical how many people are giving out about it.

It's just funny because you can't base anything on YouTube as to how good a player is.

Fair enough, Ferguson is backing him. He's hardly not going to give a vote of confidence to him.

I can't say I've ever heard of this player before Manchester United signed him. You can do research and look at what he's achieved thus far but you can't just say he's a great signing because of what you've seen in a World Cup.

Who knows if he'll even fit in or not with the squad? At least wait until you see him play for a few games until you talk him up.

• Advertisement

It's just funny because you can't base anything on YouTube as to how good a player is.

Fair enough, Ferguson is backing him. He's hardly not going to give a vote of confidence to him.

I can't say I've ever heard of this player before Manchester United signed him. You can do research and look at what he's achieved thus far but you can't just say he's a great signing because of what you've seen in a World Cup.

Who knows if he'll even fit in or not with the squad? At least wait until you see him play for a few games until you talk him up.

I havent said he's great at all, I just said i think itll be a deadly signing, and I'm not being one sided, i haven't shot any other team down, I also think Joe cole was a great signing for liverpool, and silva for city, don't really see what the big deal is.

You basically intimated if you don't think he's good player, your opinion is laughable and/or you're having a dig at Manchester united.

I havent said he's great at all, I just said i think itll be a deadly signing, and I'm not being one sided, i haven't shot any other team down, I also think Joe cole was a great signing for liverpool, and silva for city, don't really see what the big deal is.

Eh hello....

I'm just saying I think it was a good signing, allow me to show why,

And Alex Ferguson backs him,

Think i've good enough reasons to think he's a deadly signing, I'm not saying he definitely will be, but I think he will.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dammo

1. Chelsea
    2. Man U
    3. City
    4. Arsenal
    5. Villa
    6. Spurs
    7. Liverpool
    8. West Ham
    9. Everton
    10. Stoke
    11. Sunderland
    12. Blackburn Rovers
    13. Birmingham
    14. Fulham
    15. Wigan
    16. Wolves
    17. Newcastle
    18. Bolton
    19. West Brom
    20. Blackpool

You heard it here first

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Interested to see why you think Chelsea will be fourth, personally would love to see it myself..

Any good suggestions as to why they would be 4th, so i can start praying now.

Well firstly because I'm ever so slightly biased! Also if Arsenal can hold onto Fabergas, and stay injury free I can see them doing well this year. I think with the squad Man City have they should be challenging for the title, but still think they will fall short. I know it was said last year as well, but Chelsea are an old squad, its not so much Chelsea have got worse, its just I think Arsenal and City will improve this year, and we will pull it out of the bag somehow :pac:

Dammo wrote: »
    1. Chelsea
    2. Man U
    3. City
    4. Arsenal
    5. Villa
    6. Spurs
    7. Liverpool
    8. West Ham
    9. Everton
    10. Stoke
    11. Sunderland
    12. Blackburn Rovers
    13. Birmingham
    14. Fulham
    15. Wigan
    16. Wolves
    17. Newcastle
    18. Bolton
    19. West Brom
    20. Blackpool

You heard it here first

I'll take 17th right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dammo

Nothing like a touch of realism shining like a beacon through the fog of delusion. I like your style!

I reckon higher, and again i think gosling could be a great signing for newcastle, would love to see him fit in with the team.

Dammo wrote: »
    Nothing like a touch of realism shining like a beacon through the fog of delusion. I like your style!

I'm not even gonna touch that.
    I reckon higher, and again i think gosling could be a great signing for newcastle, would love to see him fit in with the team.

Who knows? Gosling will fit in the squad but it's just a case of how well he does. Having Nolan in the squad will mean that he can learn a lot from him.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Man Utd
    Liverpool
    Man City
    Spurs

Newcastle
    West Brom
    Blackpool

I'm not even gonna touch that.

Who knows? Gosling will fit in the squad but it's just a case of how well he does. Having Nolan in the squad will mean that he can learn a lot from him.

I actually love kevin nolan as a player, was sickened when he was offered the chance to play for ireland and declined, woulda been a massive addition to the team!

I remember when gosling and rodwell were coming through from the everton and I thought they'd be hot prospects, would genuinely love to see him settle in and become a better player.

• Advertisement

I actually love kevin nolan as a player, was sickened when he was offered the chance to play for ireland and declined, woulda been a massive addition to the team!

I remember when gosling and rodwell were coming through from the everton and I thought they'd be hot prospects, would genuinely love to see him settle in and become a better player.

With regards to Gosling I can't say I've seen enough of him to judge him properly but I'm getting a lot of mixed reactions from some Everton fans.

Some say he's good but most people seem to say that he's sh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

With regards to Gosling I can't say I've seen enough of him to judge him properly but I'm getting a lot of mixed reactions from some Everton fans.

Some say he's good but most people seem to say that he's sh*t.

Have watched Gosling a number of times and in my opinion he is a championship player at best and that was before his injury. Popped up with a few important goals for Everton but never had a settled position so its hard to judge him properly but i still dont see enough in him to be a top class premiership player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Season prediction is
    1 Chelsea
    2 Man U
    3 Man C
    4 Everton
    5 Arsenal
    6 Liverpool
    7 Spurs
    8 Villa
    9 Sunderland
    10 Birmingham

Bottom 3
    18 Wigan
    19 West Brom
    20 Blackpool

Just out of curiosity how badly do people think the smaller squads will have on clubs playing in europe? This is our first season in the qualifiers and wether we win or lose we will have extra games to play I reckon it will definetly take a toll but we do have a pretty strong squad so I don't think it will be a hugely different season to the one just gone. Any thoughts?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Impossible to say with impending transfers etc. But as things stand:

- Haven't a notion about the bottom half and what will happen, I think WBA are certs to go down though for some reason.

- City may just take the league, the others aren't at much higher levels.

- Arsenal to fall out of the top 4.

- Liverpool to take 4th. No CL distractions.

- Spurs have trouble juggling Europe and the League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Season prediction is
    1 Arsenal
    2 Man Utd
    3 liverpool
    4 Man city
    5 Chelsea
    6 Spurs
    7 Everton

Bottom 3
    18 Wigan
    19 Bolton
    20 Blackpool

as a united fan it pains me to think arsenal will win the league

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

sky88 wrote: »
    Season prediction is
    1 Arsenal
    2 Man Utd
    3 liverpool
    4 Man city
    5 Chelsea
    6 Spurs
    7 Everton

Bottom 3
    18 Wigan
    19 Bolton
    20 Blackpool

as a united fan it pains me to think arsenal will win the league

I really don't know why you think they will.

For me they are even weaker than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

DB10 wrote: »

Comes down to luck, maybe we will be a bit luckier this season with injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

DB10 wrote: »

i think every top team is weaker right now and i think its just arsenals year especally if fabergas stays

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Comes down to luck, maybe we will be a bit luckier this season with injuries.
    Every team has to deal with injuries though it's part and parcel of the game

• Advertisement
Advertisement