Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New thread for the 10/11 PL Season Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Every team has to deal with injuries though it's part and parcel of the game

Yes and some teams have more luck than others with injuries.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Comes down to luck, maybe we will be a bit luckier this season with injuries.

Eh injuries happen every year to every team.

But the others just have better back up and first XI's.

sky88 wrote: »
    i think every top team is weaker right now and i think its just arsenals year especally if fabergas stays

I often felt that. If you look at logically though, there is little reason to believe they will even challenge nevermind win it.

Utd and Chelsea were far better last season, little has changed bar our defence getting even worse.

DB10 wrote: »
    Eh injuries happen every year to every team.

But the others just have better back up and first XI's.

Indeed take Rooney out of Utd for most of the season and they can easily replace him.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Indeed take Rooney out of Utd for most of the season and they can easily replace him.

The fact you are reduced to hoping we have "luck" with injuries and the best players of other teams get injuries says it all.

The best team wins the league every year, that is a fact. We are not the best team.

And if you look closely, you may see Utd were ravaged at the back last season while Chelsea had even more injuries than us. Yet both easily finished above us.

Maybe the fact we rely on crocks like Van Persie, Diaby and Rosicky has something to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

The fact you are reduced to hoping we have "luck" with injuries and the best players of other teams get injuries says it all.

The best team wins the league every year, that is a fact. We are not the best team.

And if you look closely, you may see Utd were ravaged at the back last season while Chelsea had even more injuries than us. Yet both easily finished above us.

Maybe the fact we rely on crocks like Van Persie, Diaby and Rosicky has something to do with it.

How can an Arsenal fan say we rely on Diaby and Rosicky two squad players. I give Arsenal a fair chance to win the league and although not favorites there is still enough quality in the squad to win the league.

Every team that wins the league has an element of luck be it be late equalizers or with injuries, if RVP had not got injured in training for a meaningless int friendly, who knows how closer we would have got, as I said take Rooney out out utds team for most of the season.

peabutler wrote: »
    How can an Arsenal fan say we rely on Diaby and Rosicky two squad players. I give Arsenal a fair chance to win the league and although not favorites there is still enough quality in the squad to win the league.

Diaby is a starting player.

We haven't signed a PL level GK and our defence is an embarrassment.

Believe we will do it if you want. Makes no difference to me, loads of people predicted they would win it last season as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Sol on his way to us then it seems. He'd be a brilliant acquisition for us I think. He can offer a lot to our young centre backs too which is always a good thing.

I for one welcome our new insect overlord's signing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Chelsea
    Man Utd
    Man City
    Arsenal
    Spurs
    Villa
    Pool
    Everton
    WHU
    Blues
    Stoke
    Blackburn
    S'land
    Fulham
    Wigan
    Wolves
    Bolton
    West Brom
    Newcastle
    Blackpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

That_Guy wrote: »
    Sol on his way to us then it seems. He'd be a brilliant acquisition for us I think. He can offer a lot to our young centre backs too which is always a good thing.

I for one welcome our new insect overlord's signing.

Has he played with them yet, how do you know he will be brilliant??

from youtube compilations??

In all honestly, just kidding with you, think you can see where I was coming from now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

1. United
    2. Chelsea
    3. Man City
    4. Arsenal
    5. Spurs
    6. Everton
    7. Liverpool

18. Wigan
    19. WBA
    20. Blackpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Not the same at all really.

Sol Campbell has played literally hundreds of Premier League games and won many titles. He's old now but you pretty much know what you're gonna get with him.

In saying that he may not turn out to be brilliant but avoiding relegation would be brilliant in itself for Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

I really think this is going to be a very close season all across the board, really looking forward to it.

Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Man Utd
    Man City
    Liverpool
    Everton
    Spurs
    Villa
    Blackburn
    Sunderland
    Stoke
    Bolton
    Birmingham
    Fulham
    West Ham
    Wolves
    Newcastle
    Wigan
    West Brom
    Blackpool

token56 wrote: »
    I really think this is going to be a very close season all across the board, really looking forward to it.

Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Man Utd
    Man City
    Liverpool
    Everton
    Spurs
    Villa
    Blackburn
    Sunderland
    Stoke
    Bolton
    Birmingham
    Fulham
    West Ham
    Wolves
    Newcastle
    Wigan
    West Brom
    Blackpool

I can't see Wigan going down with Rodallega playing as good as he did last year for them..

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    Hernandez is already a deadly signing? Heard it all now...
    GOAL! It's five - and it's Hernandez on his debut! The Mexican runs on to a long ball and, with the All-Stars defence done for pace, superbly lifts the ball over the MLS keeper. Superb finish.

Lets hope he keeps it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    I can't see Wigan going down with Rodallega playing as good as he did last year for them..
    Wigan are defensively suspect and N'Zogbia was definetly their star player last year. I think Wigan are going to be very close to the drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Wigan are defensively suspect and N'Zogbia was definetly their star player last year. I think Wigan are going to be very close to the drop.
    Especially if N'Zogbia leaves, which their chairman has said he would not stop should he decide to do so. They've lost Scharner and Bramble as well so the spine of their team is questionable somewhat.

Voltwad wrote: »
    Especially if N'Zogbia leaves, which their chairman has said he would not stop should he decide to do so. They've lost Scharner and Bramble as well so the spine of their team is questionable somewhat.
    well I'd be very worried about west brom and Blackpool going down and considering all three promoted teams hardly ever go down Newcastle should stay up and one of westham/wolves/Wigan I think will be going down

well I'd be very worried about west brom and Blackpool going down and considering all three promoted teams hardly ever go down Newcastle should stay up and one of westham/wolves/Wigan I think will be going down
    Aye. West Ham have looked decent in pre-season though. I would expect them to have more than enough to stay up but I thought that about them before :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

GOAL! It's five - and it's Hernandez on his debut! The Mexican runs on to a long ball and, with the All-Stars defence done for pace, superbly lifts the ball over the MLS keeper. Superb finish.

Lets hope he keeps it up.

Jo also scored in a friendly in the US the other night.

Woop dee doo

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Jo also scored in a friendly in the US the other night.

Woop dee doo

And how good was the goal?

I don't see many clubs having trouble getting the 8 home grown players in and the only one I think that will have trouble getting a squad of 25 will be City a lot of teams didn't even use the 25 last season. Stats gotten from the premier leagues site.

Arsenal 30
    Villa 21
    Birmingham 24
    Blackburn 27
    Bolton 25
    Burnley 24
    Chelsea 30
    Everton 25
    Fulham 27
    Hull City 32
    Liverpool 25
    Man City 28
    Man Utd 30
    Portsmouth 27
    Stoke City 21
    Sunderland 25
    Tottenham 26
    West Ham 29
    Wigan 22
    Wolves 28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

As a person looking in at the league and don't support anyone, my unbiased view would be:

1. Chelsea
    2. Man United
    3. Man City
    4. Arsenal
    5. Liverpool
    6. Tottenham
    7. Everton

To be relegated: Wigan, West Brom and Blackpool.

Its hard to tell how new signings and teams are gelling from pre-season, may change this view after one or two competitive matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Gotta love the one sided views of the non-united people.
    Bit dissapointed United haven't bolstered up too much, Hernandez was a deadly signing though, and Berbatov is starting to perform a bit better, Nani is looking good, and so is Obertan..
    Prediction
    1. Man Utd

Personally i prefer the one sided view of United people.

My predictions

Arsenal will fall apart in Feb after a series of cold tuesday night fixture list in Jan. After facing and subsequently being kicked about by Stoke, Bolton, Blackburn and another generic team.

The Daily Mail will crow about how wenger is killing english football and it's just desserts for that Arsenal team who do not liked to me pushed about. Exclusive news paper article then follows, jointly written by Ricky Fuller and Sam Allardyce who both proclaim to have reached near orgasmic levels during the match at the fact they we're breaking players legs. Then a stoke fan will claim Arsenal are the reason England will do crap at the euro 2012/ youth level competition.

Finally a obscure english player will perform a thuggish challenge on one of our promising players. I'd put money on pingpong or wilshere to get the break this season. HOWEVER he will be saved by the media because thankfully and put your mind to rest. He's not that player!

Despite all this we'll hammer the top four ( top 3 since we are in the top 4 although like every season THIS will be the season Arsenal finally drop out because there ****/ have no money/ wenger is crap and won't spend/ i'm xenophobic. ) and win the league.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Personally i prefer the one sided view of United people.

My predictions

Arsenal will fall apart in Feb after a series of cold tuesday night fixture list in Jan. After facing and subsequently being kicked about by Stoke, Bolton, Blackburn and another generic team.

The Daily Mail will crow about how wenger is killing english football and it's just desserts for that Arsenal team who do not liked to me pushed about. Exclusive news paper article then follows, jointly written by Ricky Fuller and Sam Allardyce who both proclaim to have reached near orgasmic levels during the match at the fact they we're breaking players legs. Then a stoke fan will claim Arsenal are the reason England will do crap at the euro 2012/ youth level competition.

Finally a obscure english player will perform a thuggish challenge on one of our promising players. I'd put money on pingpong or wilshere to get the break this season. HOWEVER he will be saved by the media because thankfully and put your mind to rest. He's not that player!

Despite all this we'll hammer the top four ( top 3 since we are in the top 4 although like every season THIS will be the season Arsenal finally drop out because there ****/ have no money/ wenger is crap and won't spend/ i'm xenophobic. ) and win the league.

far from one sided, i have spoken about many teams and don't write chelsea or liverpool off at all, that said, i think united will win, don't see what's so one sided about that? care to shed some light friend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Prices for the best Premier League seats in the house 2010-11

The number indicates the overall ranking, there are plenty of Championship and League One/Two sides charging a quite bit it seems.

1 Arsenal £1825
    2 Chelsea £1695
    3 Spurs £1210
    5 Newcastle £975
    6 Man Utd £931
    7 Fulham £899
    8 West Ham £850
    9 Liverpool £785
    13 Birmingham £638
    14 Man City £632
    15 Everton £631
    16 Wolves £630
    17 Stoke £609
    23 Aston Villa £550
    29 Sunderland £515
    34 West Brom £499
    40 Bolton £475
    58 Blackpool £404
    64 Blackburn £393.35
    87 Wigan £295

and who is number 4? Ipswich Town £1001 :eek:

mike65 wrote: »
    Prices for the best Premier League seats in the house 2010-11

The number indicates the overall ranking, there are plenty of Championship and League One/Two sides charging a quite bit it seems.

1 Arsenal £1825
    2 Chelsea £1695
    3 Spurs £1210
    5 Newcastle £975
    6 Man Utd £931
    7 Fulham £899
    8 West Ham £850
    9 Liverpool £785
    13 Birmingham £638
    14 Man City £632
    15 Everton £631
    16 Wolves £630
    17 Stoke £609
    23 Aston Villa £550
    29 Sunderland £515
    34 West Brom £499
    40 Bolton £475
    58 Blackpool £404
    64 Blackburn £393.35
    87 Wigan £295

and who is number 4? Ipswich Town £1001 :eek:

Thats not the most expensive season ticket price, is this per match?

Season tickets I'd presume

Voltwad wrote: »
    Season tickets I'd presume

Not correct then, certainly for Arsenal, way off ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

think its for the most expensive seats.

Anyway:
    1. Arsenal
    2. Chelsea
    3. Man Utd
    4. Spurs
    5. City
    6. Liverpool

Relegation:
    18. Birmingham
    19. Blackpool
    20. West Brom

shano_88 wrote: »
    think its for the most expensive seats.

Arsenals most expensive are 5k +

Another goal for the young man hernandez, kids looking good lads, kids looking good!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Come on you Toon Army.! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

1.Chelsea
    2.Arsenal
    3.Man Utd
    4.Man City
    5.Liverpool
    6.Spurs
    7.Villa

18.Wigan
    19.Wolves
    20.Blackpool

1.Chelsea
    2.Arsenal
    3.Man Utd
    4.Man City
    5.Liverpool
    6.Spurs
    7.Villa

18.Wigan
    19.Wolves
    20.Blackpool

Arsenals season depends on whether fabregas stays or goes, although i cant see him leaving at this stage in the summer, you'd never know though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Arsenals season depends on whether fabregas stays or goes, although i cant see him leaving at this stage in the summer, you'd never know though!

I reccomend you go to Sky Sports/BBC Sports or any site for that matter.

peabutler wrote: »
    I reccomend you go to Sky Sports/BBC Sports or any site for that matter.

Oh, that's what happens when you haven't turned on a tv for days, lol, i didn't check any sports news either.

Arsenal have a decent chance then, as long as he doesn't get injured, and the youngins perform!

Striker Nicolas Anelka has tipped London rivals Tottenham to win the Premier League and claims reigning champions Chelsea are prioritising UEFA Champions League glory this season.
    The France striker has revealed his admiration for Harry Redknapp's side and believes that Spurs can build on last season's fourth-place finish and win the league for the first time since 1961.
    Anelka told The Sun: "I rate Spurs very highly. They are absolute favourites to win the title."
    After coming close in previous seasons, Anelka insists Carlo Ancelotti's men are eyeing European glory this term.
    "Our aim this season is to finally win the Champions League,spacer.gif" he stated.
    "Could we win a treble, the way Inter Milanspacer.gif did last season? Not so fast - it will be a tough job just to defend our league title."
    Competitive

Despite his prediction that Spurs will be crowned champions, Anelka reckons this season's Premier League title race will be the closest ever.
    He added: "Our biggest rivals will of course be Manchester United,spacer.gif Liverpool and Arsenal,spacer.gif while Manchester Cityspacer.gif could play a major role.
    "I believe that this will be the most thrilling season ever in the history of the Premier League."

Even I must ask was he smoking the gange :eek:

or else they took it out of context/he was talking about the antonio spurs :pac:

• Advertisement

4 games 4 goals for hernandez...

I rest my case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I rest my case.

what was your case?

that Hernandez would have a good pre-season?

SlickRic wrote: »
    what was your case?

that Hernandez would have a good pre-season?

No that'd be a good signing and fit in well with the team, I was there today, and it looked like he was gelling very well.

Can't really argue with 4 goals in four games..

And the community shield is the start of the season.

I rest my case.

Your case for a deadly signing was 4 pre season goals?

Your case for a deadly signing was 4 pre season goals?

No, I said he was a deadly signing, and having watched him play the four games, he will be a great signing.

No, I said he was a deadly signing, and having watched him play the four games, he will be a great signing.

:confused:
    You said 4 goals in 4 games, you rest your case.

So your closing arguement that he is a deadly signing is 4 pre season goals?

• Advertisement

:confused:
    You said 4 goals in 4 games, you rest your case.

So your closing arguement that he is a deadly signing is 4 pre season goals?

No, im just saying he's proved that he can play well with the team, and will be a deadly signing, my god you really are just being awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

So he's a deadly signing because he scored 4 pre-season goals? :confused:

No, im just saying he's proved that he can play well with the team, and will be a deadly signing, my god you really are just being awkward.

No I'm not being anyway awkward. How has he proved he will be a deadly signing? He'll perhaps prove that when the seasons over, not before the season starts.

He could snap his leg against Newcastle and that could be that for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

And the community shield is the start of the season.

No it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

My predictions :

1.Man Utd
    2.Arsenal
    3.Chelsea
    4.Man City
    5.Liverpool
    6.Spurs
    7.Villa

18.Wigan
    19.Wolves