Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concerned for friend who might be caught in a scam

Options
  • 26-07-2010 3:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Going Anon for this in case anyone I know locally in real life is reading this.

There is a guy I know who I saw last night for the first time in a while and he was talking about work and how he had to train someone today and got off late as a result. When I ask him what he was doing, he told he was working as a door to door salesman.

Straight away, very loud alarm bells started ringing in my head. When I asked about the hours and what the job is like, he told he works about 10 hours a day, 6 days a week. He also spoke of that he was on commission pay and the sort. He even talked about how he'd be earning 3000 a week eventually! He also told me the name of the company, HMP Direct.

Now, I've have read about these sort of companies and they are nothing sort of scams and I'm afraid he is caught up in one. While I didn't ask, I'm convinced they insisted he go the self-employed route as well.

The reason I'm posting is that I want to find out more about this HMP Direct company and if it is indeed a scam like I'm convinced it is, how can I help my friend see that its a giant con as well?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Well I would recommend you show your friend the large thread on this forum about these 100% commission jobs and hope that that helps them to see the light.

Failing that the only thing else you can do is hope that your friend sees for themselves that it is indeed a scam and get themselves out of it before they waste too much time and effort at this scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

You're just jealous that your friend will be earning €156,000 in an unskilled job as a door-to-door salesman. ;)

I say let your friend learn his lesson. He probably won't lose any money. He just won't make any either.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Are they actually scams, or more just a bit of a shìt way to try and earn a living?

Advertisement