Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay cafe in Galway

Options
  • 26-07-2010 8:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Was thinking that there is a niche for a gay cafe in galway city. Just posting this on here to hear other people's feedback on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do you want to see if there is a customer base for a gay cafe?
    Won't it in reality be just another cafe? Plenty of those.
    Let me know if you'd rather move this to the Gay forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Best friend from school is gay, he laughed initially when I texted him this, then said, but let me know if it goes ahead...says a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

So should gay people be seggregated?...I wouldn't think so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

i don't believe it would work. the gay bar in galway is v.quiet outside of weekend nights, so i imagine i gay cafe would be equally as quiet, but without the bump in business of a fr/sat night.
    also, other cafes in galway REALLY struggle to survive. a specifically gay cafe has a narrower customer base , i suppose and so survival would be tougher. i'm not sure that the draw of a cup of tea in a gay cafe would be sufficiently strong to keep gay customers coming back time and time again.
    i do know that there was a gay cafe in galway about ten years ago called centurion, but i don't know anymore about it, except i think it was on lower abbeygate street, i think where trishas cafe stands today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

A "specifically" gay cafe... again it's segregating homosexual and heterosexual people from one of life's simplest pleasures..coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Wompa1 wrote: »

I'd think so, hi-ooooooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

obviously not. but if there is a demand for it, then entrepreneurs will capitilise on this.

Is there such a thing as a specifically gay cafe anywhere in the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Is there such a thing as a specifically gay cafe anywhere in the world?

I'd wager so... although it's probably more "gay friendly" than strictly gay. As in, you probably won't get thrown out just for being straight, same as you likely wouldn't get thrown out of a gay bar.

That's true, but is the gay community big enough in Galway to make the idea feasible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

gays are no longer as popular in galway as they used to be. the place used to be full of gay bars such as zulus and a place across from the bierhaus.they both appear to have since closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

maybe its for the best. most straight guys would not appreciate being hit upon by someone from the gay community.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

That's true, but is the gay community big enough in Galway to make the idea feasible?

well, the "gay and willing to admit it in public" community is probably too small, granted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Aren't all cafes a bit gay?

I really don't think there'd be the market for a gay cafe in Galway - especially given that there is already a bit of a saturation with regards to cafes in general. It's a good idea, but I think it would only work in places where the gay community is a bit more open/larger.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

down-with-this-sort-of-thing1.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Why not a open a straight café OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Fuinseog wrote: »
    maybe its for the best. most straight guys would not appreciate being hit upon by someone from the gay community.

Pretty sad straight guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

I think there are plenty of sane/tolerant cafés in Galway, not sure there's a need.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I think that it's a good idea in theory but maybe not the best practical business idea atm in Galway. I'm sure it must be hard for gay people to meet other gay people in Galway so there must be alot who would appreciate a more casual alternative to the pub where they might meet.

Maybe you could open a regular cafe and then when you are more established have gay nights or afternoons or something? Or see if a cafe in town would rent you their premises for an evening and try it out & see if there's much of a reaction.

One reason I think there may be an appetitie is that a few months ago I was in a cafe in Salthil sitting at the next table to a guy engrossed in an oddly large hardcover book. After half an hr or so another guy came over & asked what he thought of the book. Next thing they were making introductions & chatting away and the guy was joining him. I googled the book title later because stupidly I presumed their enthusiasm was because it was an amazing book or smthg. Turned out to be a gay title about finding love!*I thought it was a pretty ingenious way of getting your intention out there actually & was amazed it worked but there you go!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

gays are no longer as popular in galway as they used to be

LOL :D Post of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

chilly wrote: »
    I think that it's a good idea in theory but maybe not the best practical business idea atm in Galway. I'm sure it must be hard for gay people to meet other gay people in Galway so there must be alot who would appreciate a more casual alternative to the pub where they might meet.

Maybe you could open a regular cafe and then when you are more established have gay nights or afternoons or something? Or see if a cafe in town would rent you their premises for an evening and try it out & see if there's much of a reaction.

One reason I think there may be an appetitie is that a few months ago I was in a cafe in Salthil sitting at the next table to a guy engrossed in an oddly large hardcover book. After half an hr or so another guy came over & asked what he thought of the book. Next thing they were making introductions & chatting away and the guy was joining him. I googled the book title later because stupidly I presumed their enthusiasm was because it was an amazing book or smthg. Turned out to be a gay title about finding love!*I thought it was a pretty ingenious way of getting your intention out there actually & was amazed it worked but there you go!:)

Awesome post :D
    and good ideas also...

I fancy red heads , but there are no cafe's for people like me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I fancy red heads , but there are no cafe's for people like me :(

Gay red heads or straight red heads?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Are ya serious? Ask some straight women (and men!) how they feel in this week's cattle Market that is race week!

The gays have gone underground, but that is only because the time for overthrowing the nation is close! :p
    (have NO idea about your 'gays being popular' quote Fuinseog, unless you mean strictly venues?) aren't there some new venues now?

Honestly not sure how much business it would get.. A hip, fun 'gay friendly' cafe with some kind of a hook like music or late night cabaret would be better IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

I disagree with a 'gay cafe' - Why are us straights being excluded from it?

I wouldn't stop a 'gay' going into a 'straight cafe'.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Getting a bit ahead of yourself don't you think? this purposed cafe doesn't yet exist for us straight folk to maybe not be allowed in to, and of course you cannot be barred from a cafe due to your sexual orientation, equality and all that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Mr.Mister wrote: »
    I disagree with a 'gay cafe' - Why are us straights being excluded from it?

I wouldn't stop a 'gay' going into a 'straight cafe'.

So why would you imagine straight people wouldn't be allowed?
    I think the ops idea is for a cafe where gay people feel comfortable being themselves, right? People have discriminated in the past, so I can see how it may be something some may want, just wonder how financially viable it would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Would gay people be going to the cafe for coffee or something else?, if its just for a drink and a chat couldn't they just go to any other cafe? Or is there a really big prejudice around Galway of gay people that I haven't noticed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I see no problem with a gay cafe as the gay Chinese restaurant in town is working out well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement