Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay cafe in Galway

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭GalwayGuy92

mikom wrote: »
    I see no problem with a gay cafe as the gay Chinese restaurant in town is working out well.
    Gay Chinese restaurant?? Really?

I was thinking this myself OP, but in reality I don't see how it could work. As most posters have pointed out this niche is small and you would have to have a really big hook to draw the crowds. I know they work in Dublin but there is a much larger population and thus a bigger base for the niche. That said it could work if the image was very carefully managed and the profile built up very very quickly, it would take one hell of an entrepreneur to get a gay cafe off the ground with all the other coffeeshops around town.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Gay Golden Palace?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Well Holy god! A gay cafe. Who'd of thought it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Gay Chinese restaurant?? Really?

Yep, I was in there the last night.
    I was struggling to eat with chopsticks and dropping food on the floor as usual.
    Then the waiter slid up next to me and said "Want a fuck".

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Peppapig

How silly is this!, if there was a only straight café there would be holy war!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Peppapig wrote: »

a cafe serving alcohol open after 6pm (yes java is open late, just about the only one), now that would be outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

I'll put it to you this way, I've seen two lads being asked to leave a certain popular pub in the western section of this city when all they were doing was sitting close to each other and holding hands. I guess the barman was homophobic or something but I thought it was completly unjustified and unfair. So in that climate there might be a place for this but as other posters have pointed out there may not be enough of a customer base for a business to survive.

Peppapig wrote: »

Its not going to be a gay only cafe, thats discrimination. I'm assuming it would be basically the same premise as a gay bar: Everyone is welcome but most people are presumably part of the LGBT community. So no-one is offended when they are hit-on/chatted up by someone of the same sex. Its all well and good to say "sure most places are gay-friendly" that however may be true but a normal cafe isnt exactly a place to meet new gay friends.
    This isn't segregation its just a place where the LGBT subculture is predominant. The same way we have Spanish tapas bars etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Its not going to be a gay only cafe, thats discrimination. I'm assuming it would be basically the same premise as a gay bar: Everyone is welcome but most people are presumably part of the LGBT community. So no-one is offended when they are hit-on/chatted up by someone of the same sex. Its all well and good to say "sure most places are gay-friendly" that however may be true but a normal cafe isnt exactly a place to meet new gay friends.
    This isn't segregation its just a place where the LGBT subculture is predominant. The same way we have Spanish tapas bars etc.

gay friends or you know ;););) ...if its just to meet friends wouldn't a normal cafe do? otherwise like someone else said would it be gay only otherwise it could be a straight person they befriend! Is the idea of gay branded places for getting easy lays?

Wompa1 wrote: »
    gay friends or you know ;););) ...if its just to meet friends wouldn't a normal cafe do? otherwise like someone else said would it be gay only otherwise it could be a straight person they befriend! Is the idea of gay branded places for getting easy lays?
    Well if I was to meet friend I already have I probly wouldn't bother going to a 'gay cafe' but if I was to meet new people I might venture in for a look. But if it was a straight person I was talking to then so be it, although I can't imagine a gay cafe becoming a hangout for large numbers of straight people.

As for getting easy lays, in my experience gay people aren't mindless sex machines and 'gay-branded' places aren't all sexhouses. Obviously there are places where you can go to get casual sex but alot of gay men do not frequent these places.
    I do understand that it may seem a segregation of sorts but sometimes it is nice to be in a place where you are among people who are also gay, I for one feel less conspicuous and out of place.

• Advertisement

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Gay red heads or straight red heads?

Straight red heads .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Straight red heads .

And what, pray tell, have you got against with curly red heads?:p

There have been *numerous* 'kickings out' of gay people in Galway Pubs over the last 20 years for 'PDAs' - now the ones I heard of/even witnessed, were everything from sitting too close together, to wearing the face off each other.

Not mad on the hugely excessive PDAs for anyone meself, but I can guarantee you every straight snogging couple would never be thrown our of this certain pub. Yes, there is discrimination, I have seen it happen to my friends.
    Now most of this happens in pubs, after drink is consumed anyway, and I totally see why gay bars are necessary, so people feel comfortable expressing themselves. The 'gay friendly' pubs are usually the arty ones around town, and apparently there is only one gay bar now, and one nightclub. I thought there was one in Salthill, but it is a rotating one apparently.

Still not sure if a full-time gay cafe is viable, but I think a glbt night/day in a gay friendly cafe would be a good idea.

Not all Galway establishments are gay friendly by a long shot, but 99.9% are straight friendly, so the argument about fairness and discrimination is a bit flawed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

What would be on the menu in a Gay Café?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Mr.Mister wrote: »
    What would be on the menu in a Gay Café?

Cucumber sandwich

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

Chocolate fingers?

Pink wafers.

Alright, the thread has now officially become free for all homophobic which is bo**ix imo.

There are forums for the jokes, this has nothing to do with the OP's questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Fuinseog wrote: »
    a cafe serving alcohol open after 6pm (yes java is open late, just about the only one), now that would be outrageous.

It's bloody hard enough to get a coffee shop serving decent coffee open after 6PM as it is. I usually end up having to go to a pub/hotel and their coffee's usually aren't as good.

There is Javas, Pure Vida and Arabica (Dominick St at weekends). Is there any others that I am missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

inisboffin wrote: »
    Alright, the thread has now officially become free for all homophobic which is bo**ix imo.

There are forums for the jokes, this has nothing to do with the OP's questions?

Maybe these type of "homophobic" jokes will give him valuable information on the public's perception of the cafe.

Alright, the thread has now officially become free for all homophobic
    which is bo**ix imo.
    Yummy.

• Advertisement

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Maybe these type of "homophobic" jokes will give him valuable information on the public's perception of the cafe.

Nice

Let me know when you are having your protest sign painting party

mikom wrote: »
    Yummy.

You are normally funnier

You are normally funnier

Guess I'm having an off day Siskel.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP, try a thread in the LGTB forum instead. They'd be best to know if such a place is needed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement