Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racing after chest infection

• 26-07-2010 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi all.
    Hoping to go out on Weds eve for club race (SwordsCC). Just finished antibiotics today and am feeling OK(ish). After feeling like a 60-a-day smoker for the past 7 days, only feel like a 20-a-day at mo!!
    Went out Saturday for a short spin and felt shattered after 90mins but am feeling a bit more energetic today.
    Stomach not too bad but has been better.
    Anyone have any advice as to preperation to returning to racing after an infection? Only been a week off the bike so hopefully haven't completely lost my race legs!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'd advise one full week of complete sporting inactivity after you get off the antibiotics.

This is based on several years of trial and error, mostly of the "wait three days and pick up a secondary infection" variety.

I'm 36. Maybe you're younger or tougher than me. Cavendish still wins with bronchitis.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I overtook you on Saturday as you were heading to (presumably) meet up with the Swords spin, and I was off to pick up my new boards kit. Saturday morning was probably not ideal weather-wise for coming back from a chest infection.

I personally would rest up between now and Wednesday - you have the miles in your legs already, and got out on Saturday. You'll probably be fine on Wednesday - just take it easy where you can, and if you are feeling bad, drop out of the race - I'll be there to pick up the pieces at one of the corners!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Hi bob, I didnt realise you post on here, i talk to you most saturdays (im on a defy 4). As lumen was saying chest infections are often followed by second ones. I was only talking to one of the other lads about this on saturday - he has missed 6 weeks because of two chest infections. I would definitely air on the side of caution.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Generally once you have no symptoms below the level of the neck you are ok to return to cycling.
    Return to competition is a bit trickier to advise on.
    It should be a months after infections such as Glandular fever but a week or so after a more straight forward infection.
    The weather should influence your decision as well. If it's nice and warm and dry that's a plus, cold and wet a miss....
    In your case I say give it a go but be prepared to pull out if you're not feeling too good.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭English Bob

All very appreciated advice.
    Probably will give it a go on Weds as I'm getting major withdrawl symptoms from not riding in anger!!
    Still feel a little breathless but not barking like a dog smoking a pipe anymore!!
    What about nutrition? I'm aware that antibiotics can effect the stomach so has anyone any advice re what to eat over next few days? Chocolate has been great antidepression food over past week but I can't afford anymore extra timber to drag up Ardcath on Weds!!!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »
    In your case I say give it a go but be prepared to pull out if you're not feeling too good.
    The sight of Rob racing ahead, and you not having the legs to keep up will be one obvious sign that things are not going well ...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    The sight of Rob racing ahead, and you not having the legs to keep up will be one obvious sign that things are not going well ...

Cheeky .......

Advertisement