Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for security locks for PVC windows without perminant damage to the PVC

• 26-07-2010 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I am looking for security locks that you can fit to restrict a window from being opened too far (child safety) for PVC windows opening outwards that do not cause perminent damage to the window itself?

Anyone know or seen any located in Galway or even online to order?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

How about window bars?

Window_Guards_250x219.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I recently bought a contraption in Mothercare to stop my agile son from escaping. Unfortunately, it has to be screwed in to the window from and will leave a mark if removed. There are alternatives that are 'stuck' on but I would fear for the safety of the child.

It is great in warm weather that we can now leave the window slightly open

Pure guess here but maybe a couple of suction cups* and a string tied to the handle of the open window?
    Not sure about your configuration there.

*industrial strength

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

you should check with some of the window companies. we got new windows installed last year that came with safety locks so you could only open the windows so far without releasing the catch (located on top of windiw too high for any child to reach) to open them fully. but then we learned they are no longer compliant with health and safety standards and deemed dangerous if a fire ever broke out in the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 skdb

ErnieBert wrote: »
    I recently bought a contraption in Mothercare to stop my agile son from escaping. Unfortunately, it has to be screwed in to the window from and will leave a mark if removed. There are alternatives that are 'stuck' on but I would fear for the safety of the child.

It is great in warm weather that we can now leave the window slightly open

This is what I have found also but can not find the 'stuck' varient anywhere. Allowing the window open too is also a must to keep the room cool in the summer
    biko wrote: »
    How about window bars?

Window_Guards_250x219.jpg

The Bars are not bad but give me the impression of a 4x4 cell, plus I think to secure them is again a screw / nail issue.

Just a simple stick on version of a window stopper would do the job perfectly......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭pprendeville

I need to get these locks as well. Just moved into a new house and in the previous one we were using catches that we got in IKEA but they won't work in the type of window pictures shown. Anyone got a suggestion?

IMG_1556.JPG

IMG_1558.JPG

Can you drill into the frame? If so some sort of chain should work.

would prefer not to, only renting here. will leave it as last resource.

Is it just for preventing small kids from opening the window fully?
    If so you could use some clamps in the top of the window and frame to secure a chain.

can't visualise how these work. have you a link to a picture?

• Advertisement

One of these attached to the top of the open window frame, the other to the other frame
    Then a chain between the two.

This can of course be opened easy by adults but probably not by small children.

b828253.jpg

i think i understand now. i think another thing i could do is stick something into the groove where the window. In image below, there's somothing like a brass screw on the part that slides laterally in the groove, if I obstruct that part that slides in the groove it should also work.Stainless-Steel-Friction-Hinge-Window-Hardware-FHPE4d-.jpg

Advertisement