Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help fixing front door lock

• 26-07-2010 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

Any one any ideas on how to fix my problem without calling Locksmith ?

I am not sure what type of lock is on my front door, it's not a PVC door but I think it's the same locking system where you pull up the handle then turn the key to lock it.

The problem I have is that the door will still lock but the key wont turn around all the way so we can't take the key out. I reckon there must be something I can do to fix this and don't think some WD40 will work because there is no stiffness what so ever when turning the key it just wont do a full 360 ! ! !

ANy advice would be great , thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

Who made the door? You say its not PVC, is it Aluminium or Teak?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Carra23 wrote: »
    Any one any ideas on how to fix my problem without calling Locksmith ?

I am not sure what type of lock is on my front door, it's not a PVC door but I think it's the same locking system where you pull up the handle then turn the key to lock it.

The problem I have is that the door will still lock but the key wont turn around all the way so we can't take the key out. I reckon there must be something I can do to fix this and don't think some WD40 will work because there is no stiffness what so ever when turning the key it just wont do a full 360 ! ! !

ANy advice would be great , thanks.

The door hasn't deployed its security locks fully, that's why the key won't turn fully. When turning the handle up, give the door a few thuds and see if it shimmy's up

Is it a wooden door? If so, it could be warped, meaning the locks are meeting the receivers properly causing the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

You have to find out if the problem is with the cylinder or the lock. Open the door and try to lock it. does the door drag when shutting, why haven't you tried to oil the lock movable parts. thats the first thing you do. if it doesn't lock when in an open position then the problem is the cylinder.

Advertisement