Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bank Holiday Monday Beginners' Spin

• 26-07-2010 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in heading out early next Monday morning on a relative beginners spin. The last time I did something like this I went from Clontarf to Drogheda with a friend and it took us about 7 hours or so all in, leaving at 6am. This time I'd like to do something a little more hilly, but stay out for almost the same amount of time (This will be my only chance to do very long spin for awhile).

Anybody want to come along or suggested routes? May Northside this time? Leaving 9am at latest?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

A 7 hour hilly spin is beginners fare? Jesus I'd hate to see what an intermediate spin is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Will there aren't any hills on the previous route and I did that trip at the point where I still wasn't able to make it up any of the Dublin mountain routes without stopping 3 or 4 times, so figured maybe some others might be at the same level, I'm not talking Stocking Lane hills, just something to make it a bit more interesting?

Ok point taken, could someone come up with another route then? Just figured a BH monday might be a good time to get out for a longish spin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

I've been lurking here for awhile, only new to the cycling world but I'm now slightly obsessed!
    To highlight my newbie status, can you tell me if I would be able to keep up on one of these cycles on a mountain bike or would I need a road bike to be able to keep up?

I just have fears of going on a beginner's spin and getting left behind within the first couple of minutes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

A mountain bike will likely be that bit heavier and the larger tyres will make it a bit slower. You can do stuff to help like pumping the tyres harder, locking out suspension if possible. If you don't do off-road biking, the mountain bike is not your best option. You can improve the bike's handling on the road by swapping out the knobbly off-road tyres for narrower slick road tyres which will improve matters.

In the long term though you'll be better off going for a road bike...

Are you doing much distance already? The general wisdom is that you should be able to manage your weekly commute distance in a one-day spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

I also want to go on some of the spins but fear 5 hours on the back would kill me! would be up for say a 100k though I think? Longest i've done is 65 so far.. Could I make it?

cdaly_ wrote: »
    A mountain bike will likely be that bit heavier and the larger tyres will make it a bit slower. You can do stuff to help like pumping the tyres harder, locking out suspension if possible. If you don't do off-road biking, the mountain bike is not your best option. You can improve the bike's handling on the road by swapping out the knobbly off-road tyres for narrower slick road tyres which will improve matters.

In the long term though you'll be better off going for a road bike...

Are you doing much distance already? The general wisdom is that you should be able to manage your weekly commute distance in a one-day spin.

I'm planning on getting a new bike when I have spent a few months at it. I got the mountain bike free from a relative so I'm using that until I'm sure I'll stick with it.
    I'm not sure whether to go with road or a touring/city style bike as it will mainly be used for cycling in and out of town (Dublin) so while I see the wisdom of going with a road bike if I want to go on weekend spins, for commuting, I think the touring/city might be a more comfortable option, but anyway, that's a whole other thread :)
    I commute 20km a day in total and would do that 5 days a week and about 30km once each weekend comfortably, so hopefully would be ok in terms of the proposed distance
    I live within the route Cramcycle suggested so I guess if I wussed out, I could just make it a smaller circuit!

Not fully sure yet but will keep an eye on this thread and see how brave I feel come the weekend

SubLuminal wrote: »
    I also want to go on some of the spins but fear 5 hours on the back would kill me! would be up for say a 100k though I think? Longest i've done is 65 so far.. Could I make it?

Only one way to find out! Not being smart, I was in same boat before doing my first long trip, had done maybe 70km before hand and just went for 120km. I ended up with a saddle sore, but bar that had great fun.

If you're on Northside we could meet up and head over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

rachel wrote: »
    I'm planning on getting a new bike when I have spent a few months at it. I got the mountain bike free from a relative so I'm using that until I'm sure I'll stick with it.
    I'm not sure whether to go with road or a touring/city style bike as it will mainly be used for cycling in and out of town (Dublin) so while I see the wisdom of going with a road bike if I want to go on weekend spins, for commuting, I think the touring/city might be a more comfortable option, but anyway, that's a whole other thread :)
    Whole 'nother thread indeed. *cough*road bike*cough*...
    I commute 20km a day in total and would do that 5 days a week and about 30km once each weekend comfortably, so hopefully would be ok in terms of the proposed distance
    I live within the route Cramcycle suggested so I guess if I wussed out, I could just make it a smaller circuit!

Not fully sure yet but will keep an eye on this thread and see how brave I feel come the weekend
    Go for it! Boards spins are usually pretty good about not leaving people behind. They might float away up hills (I should know, I've watched a fair number float away from me) but they'll regroup at the top and will adjust the pace to suit weaker riders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

If anyone is interested in a decent spin on Wednesday evening please pm me. I live in the city centre and I hope to be on the bike by 6:30 or 7.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Whole 'nother thread indeed. *cough*road bike*cough*...

Go for it! Boards spins are usually pretty good about not leaving people behind. They might float away up hills (I should know, I've watched a fair number float away from me) but they'll regroup at the top and will adjust the pace to suit weaker riders.

Don't worry, I have another little while to go before I even venture back into a bike shop and I'm sure after Monday, I shall be suitable shamed into getting a road bike!
    Ok, despite a creeping sense of trepidation, I am in for Monday (assuming the plan is still to leave from Dundrum) - what time?

re getting left behind, as long as I'm allowed to fade quietly into the distant background, if I truly am out of my depth and can retreat home with some form of dignity intact, I'm in

I will be the one with the unsuitable bike and no jersey (are these important?)

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling_jersey - ''a jersey offers certain advantages for the serious cyclist'' - guess I won't be needing a jersey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling_jersey - ''a jersey offers certain advantages for the serious cyclist'' - guess I won't be needing a jersey

yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling_jersey - ''a jersey offers certain advantages for the serious cyclist'' - guess I won't be needing a jersey

Cycling jerseys come with back pockets for food and stuff which you can access conveniently whilst riding along.

Lumen wrote: »
    Cycling jerseys come with back pockets for food and stuff which you can access conveniently whilst riding along.

That would probably be a serious improvement on carrying things in my waistband as I have had to do on occasion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

...and no jersey

Topless eh?? Well, I'm in!!!
    Not actually in, wont be around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

My new Canyon should be ready by then and I'm in Raheny. If I can stay sober on Sunday I'm in

Topless eh?? Well, I'm in!!!
    Not actually in, wont be around

Forget the jersey, I may not even have a bike, it may be taken off me for crimes against cycling - for anyone else commuting home this evening in the general vicinity of Ballsbridge, yes, that was me, the person who fell off her bike (in what felt like slow motion) while standing at a red light - while it was quite entertaining for all watching, I fear it may be the end of my ''serious'' cycling career before it even began :o

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭ThunderZtorm

Forget the jersey, I may not even have a bike, it may be taken off me for crimes against cycling - for anyone else commuting home this evening in the general vicinity of Ballsbridge, yes, that was me, the person who fell off her bike (in what felt like slow motion) while standing at a red light - while it was quite entertaining for all watching, I fear it may be the end of my ''serious'' cycling career before it even began :o

Try youtubing people just starting out with the clip-on pedals. I hear they're quite the crash-attractors in the beginning.

Or, you could do like me and mistake back break and front break and go flying over your bike. Just in front of the pub. With a stack of mates of both sexes outside smoking since it's half-time in the world cup game.

Things like that happen - just get back on the bike again and keep at it :)

EDIT:
    On a sidenote, 7 hours a beginner's spin? I have a long way to go then, considering I just about have energy for 1½-2 hours (or 30ish km) currently :(

On a sidenote, 7 hours a beginner's spin? I have a long way to go then, considering I just about have energy for 1½-2 hours (or 30ish km) currently :(

We should probably rename the thread. 7 hours is not any kind of beginners spin, particularly with hills.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Lumen wrote: »
    We should probably rename the thread. 7 hours is not any kind of beginners spin, particularly with hills.

Nah. Its appropriate. First time Blorg brought me up the Sally gap it took me about 6hrs to do the 100km.
    As usual Blorg kept saying, not much further now.

Let them learn the hard way. I was 240lbs. It did me no harm at all.
    Ye'll get no where cycling 30km.

Should I have said intermdiate?

Should I have said intermdiate?

A wide range of standards is fine in mid-summer, because people don't get too cold waiting. Distance is also good. But a wide range + distance means you're unlikely to get back before dark. Seriously. I remember reading one spin thread from last summer where they met at 10am and got back well after 7pm.

Maybe do a loop where people can drop off after 30km or so, but get a bit of clmbing in first.

People could come along and just do the Killiney loop if the whole thing is too long for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Try youtubing people just starting out with the clip-on pedals. I hear they're quite the crash-attractors in the beginning.

Or, you could do like me and mistake back break and front break and go flying over your bike. Just in front of the pub. With a stack of mates of both sexes outside smoking since it's half-time in the world cup game.

Things like that happen - just get back on the bike again and keep at it :)

EDIT:

I can vouch for clip on pedals being crash attraction. Igot my first set a few weeks ago and decided on the saturday to go climb the sally gap in the lashing rain. stoped for a minute and pushed myself off and went plonk. there also a nightmare at traffic lights at 1st.

neris wrote: »
    I can vouch for clip on pedals being crash attraction. Igot my first set a few weeks ago and decided on the saturday to go climb the sally gap in the lashing rain. stoped for a minute and pushed myself off and went plonk. there also a nightmare at traffic lights at 1st.

Going up Scholarstown I kept having to get off cos I was so tired, but when I needed to get back on I had to walk to somewhere flat so I could clip in without falling off :rolleyes:

People could come along and just do the Killiney loop if the whole thing is too long for them?
    I've paid particular interest to other cyclists on my daily commute and note that I cannot keep up with the majority of road bikes. This does not bode well for my first group spin.
    If there is any interest in a total beginners spin leaving from under the Dundrum Luas bridge on Monday morning then please let me know. I don't mind what distance or route but to avoid frustrating anyone who wants a fast pace, this would be more aimed at anyone who wants to keep to a relatively slower pace.
    Any takers?

I get the feeling this isn't going to happen.

Maybe someone should start off a thread suggesting a more likely beginners' spin and let this one die.

I've paid particular interest to other cyclists on my daily commute and note that I cannot keep up with the majority of road bikes. This does not bode well for my first group spin.
    If there is any interest in a total beginners spin leaving from under the Dundrum Luas bridge on Monday morning then please let me know. I don't mind what distance or route but to avoid frustrating anyone who wants a fast pace, this would be more aimed at anyone who wants to keep to a relatively slower pace.
    Any takers?

Another thought for you:

Dublin Social Cycling Group

• Advertisement
Advertisement