Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get Around NZ (In a month)

Options
  • 26-07-2010 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi Folks. I go to NZ in 2 weeks. I have a month there and I hope to do botgh Islands. I know this is not nearly enough time but it's all i have. What do you reckon is the best way of getting around? I heard about the NZ experience bus but it sounds like a big up for 18 year olds. Has anybody heard of companies who need cars / campers relocated. I reckon this could be cheapo option. Any suggestions appreciated. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Gonna be cold in a camper! Hostels or motels would be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Plenty of places to rent/buy cheap cars from depending on which airport you fly into. Hostels are really good quality and motels can be cheap too. BBH hostels are generally good. See it at your pace and your leisure that way or the bus/rail network is usable too. You could contact rental companies to see have they got anything they want moving but its offseason and I dont think a huge amount of that happens anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

Tour buses like Kiwi Experience, Magic Bus and Stray are good service for advice but quite expensive. They also move one stop at a time which is time consuming, so for example you won't be able to go from Auckland straight to Wellington in a day or even two.

Naked bus (goolge it) & the intercity are much cheaper for A to B. You can get second hand car rentals much cheaper at local rental places ie. not Avis & the big chains (not sure if they do the relocation stuff but you can call up and see, they all have freephone numbers).

Don't underestimate the time it takes to travel on the roads, they're long and windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

Don't underestimate the time it takes to travel on the roads, they're long and windy.

Yeah, I agree. You might be better off seeing one island well. The tour buses (Stray and Magic would be best if you're over 20) would be good fun, but if you want it more random and off the beaten track, also going your own distances, I think renting a camper would be best.

Like the guys say, the public transport is decent, and have a look into the train from Auckland to Wellington (the Overlander I think it's called) and from Greymouth to Christchurch (the Trans-Alpine). You can also drive the latter in less time than the train takes, although I think the train journey is nicer.

Advertisement