Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Contractor Maternity Entitlements

Options
  • 26-07-2010 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

I'm a 7 month pregnant IT contractor and have been for over 4 years with the same company. If I have a DR appt i stay late and where possible take appts at lunch time. I'm in a contract until year end. I have been told that I should have no problem getting my job back next March which is as long as i figure i can afford to be off on benefit. But does anyone know if i have any legal entitlements to getting my job back if they were to say sorry there is no work next March? I've done so much searching on line but it is all about temporary and permanent workers. I'm not sure i fall into either bracket. Any other tips for a female IT contractor in terms of taxes and entitlements? Anyone else been in the same boat and got any words of wisdom?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Do you do your own taxes etc and work for yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hollybs

Yes. Well i have a limited company with my husband and have an accountant do my taxes. Tks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Thanks Moonbeam. I've already applied for maternity benefit. Doesn't seem to be anything written regarding my rights to return to my current employment. I suppose I have to wait until I am due to return and hope the job is still there for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Unfortunately as you are self-employed and working on a contract basis, you have no entitlement to have your contract renewed at the end of the year so there's no guarantee that you will have a job to go back to in March.

However, don't fear. It's very unlikely that they will not renew your contract simply because you're on maternity leave - because this is an illegal form of discrimination under the Equal Status Act. So the chances of you having your contract renewed are exactly the same as if you were working there.

• Advertisement

Thanks Seamus.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

I was contracting when I went on maternity leave first back in 2008. Unfortunately my contract employer had no more work for me when i was finished maternity leave as the recession happened!

As the relationship was purely between the contract employer firm and my limited company, there was no right or obligation on either side to have the contract renewed. And I don't think that the Equal Status Act applies in this case either as it is a commercial contract....

I think you will just have to go back to them when you are ready to return and see if they still have work for you but if they don't I don't think there is much that you can do unfortunately.....

I am sure your accountant will be on top of it, but make sure that you continue to pay yourself from the company for the duration of your maternity leave so as to maximise the amount of salary that you get while minimising the amount of PAYE/PRSI you pay.......

Advertisement