Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fleas & Spots on dog?

Options
  • 26-07-2010 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just had the weekend from Hell. My beloved pooch has got fleas, and he has them bad. Now I haven't found any of them on him but he is biting himself a lot.
    Also I found little spots on the skin part of his tummy. One or two looked like a spot & oozed slightly. So I got disinfectant & have been wiping down his belly twice a day since. I think it may be flea bites but I have yet to actually see any fleas.

Now I've used Frontline only a few weeks ago but it obviously didn't work. I'm just wondering is there an injection I can get from my vet that will clear the fleas off him?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

It might not be fleas if you haven't found any or any of their dirt.

Could be harvest mites or an allergy of some sort so if I were you I'd bring him to the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Firstly, don't dawdle. Fleas are a problem for pretty much every single warm-blooded animal that your dog will come into contact with - including you.

Make an appointment with your vet today. They will be able to advise if it actually is fleas and give you more aggressive treatments - usually powders and shampoos. They should also be able to advise you what to do for your home - if he has fleas, you will likely need to treat your clothes, carpets and furniture too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Toulouse wrote: »
    It might not be fleas if you haven't found any or any of their dirt.

Could be harvest mites or an allergy of some sort so if I were you I'd bring him to the vet.

I went through him with a comb & didn't come across anything.
    And of course he loves running in the fields with long grass so I'm wondering has it come from that.

But those little spots that were there are now gone, there's just a bit of dry skin there now. I presume that's from the disinfectant even though I watered it down.

Advertisement