Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bleeping smoke alarm

Options
  • 26-07-2010 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

I have a problem with a smoke alarm that won't stop bleeping very now and then - could be a few seconds or could be a few minutes - I have gotten so used to it now.

It is not a battery only smoke alarm.

It is the special one that is wired to the mains also but does take a battery. My house is ten years old. I replaced the battery in it for the first time about two years ago when it starting bleeping. I am surprised that it has started this agin so soon.

ANyway, it is very hard to open up the unit - finally, today, I managed and replaced the battery.

However, it continues to bleep!!!!!!!!!!!

Any advice please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Sometimes, after changing the battery, you need to reset the unit. If you can't find a reset button, you may need to turn off the power to the unit, remove the battery, insert the battery and then turn on the power again.

Not always easy, but sometimes it has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Get it checked or replace it.

The beep could be warning of a fault.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Are you supposed to change the unit after so many years? Check the manuals.

Most likely it needs to be powered off at the mains, unplug the battery wait a min, then put battery back in and power on should reset it if there is no button. If there is a reset button just press & hold it for a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

If the reset button hasn't helped, then disconnecting the alarm completely and then replacing the battery (or taking it out, waiting a minute or two and then putting it back in) before you connect it again may help. If it doesn't make a difference then it would probably be best to get a new smoke alarm.

Advertisement