Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clarification

Options
  • 26-07-2010 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

I moved in to a house 4 years ago. I signed a one year lease. How much notice is the landlady required to give me before she enters the house. Also there is a room to rent in the house. Are we (the other tennents) obliged to show people around ?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I moved in to a house 4 years ago. I signed a one year lease. How much notice is the landlady required to give me before she enters the house. Also there is a room to rent in the house. Are we (the other tennents) obliged to show people around ?.

24 hours notice before a LL enters your place of residence and if its inconvenient to you let her know and arrange a time and date when she can come in
    depending on if you all signed lease together or separate ones but think about it do you want the LL making the decision on who lives with you r would you like to vet them yourself??

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭variety

I wouldn't necessarily agree with edellc. 24 hours would generally be the minimum notice expected. But it's entirely up to you. You can tell her to give you one week's notice, or you can tell her she is welcome to show it between 7 and 8 on a Tuesday and 12 and 2 on a Sunday only, whatever you want. It's your house, it's your call. You can refuse the Landlady entry at any time - they need your permission to enter the house (unless in an emergency, which showing a new tenant around is not).

No, you're not obliged to show the prospective tenant around. But, as edellc suggested, you may want to meet with them to object to the LL if you imagine you would not get along with them.

Was there always a spare room and now the LL is looking for more money? I would suggest if this is a whole new arrangement that you ask the LL for a new lease and a rent decrease, since there will be more people living in the same size house.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭gossipgal08

There was an other person living there and moved out and that room is for rent. Myself and the other tennent have no problem coming to the house but notice is becomming shorter. Also I dont think the landlady plans to give us a say in the third tennent, she lives an hour away by car and does not always want to drive. We would like more notice before visits and room showings as we are both out all day and the housework slides during the week. Can she get on to us if the house is a little messy?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭variety

Myself and the other tennent have no problem coming to the house but notice is becomming shorter. We would like more notice before visits and room showings as we are both out all day and the housework slides during the week.
    Simple - tell her you want more notice (send her an SMS if you'd prefer not to do it face-to-face).
    If she insists on turning up with little or no notice, refuse her entry. As I said before, a LL cannot enter a property if the tenants have refused entry, unless it's an emergency.
    Also I dont think the landlady plans to give us a say in the third tennent
    She's not obliged to, really. Ask her if she would consider your input.
    Can she get on to us if the house is a little messy?
    No. It's your house, you're entitled to live in it anyway you want (except, of course, if that breaks the law or breaks your lease agreement).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

gossipgal08- your rights are very different if you are renting the property in its entirety, regardless of whether it is with others, than those rights would be if you are simply renting the property on a room-by-room basis.

It is my understanding that if the property is let on a room by room basis- those rights as a tenant are ascribed to that portion of the property which you have sole access to. E.g. if the landlord wants to inspect your room for whatever purpose, it must be with your agreement and with reasonable notice (which may be prescribed in your original lease, the simple elapse of it has not voided the terms and conditions in it).

In this instance- if you do not accept that you are renting the property as a whole, but rather on a room by room basis- and there is a vacant room- you either agree to show prospective tenants the room, or you accept that the landlord(lady) has the right to do so.

Its highly unusual these days to let a property on a room-by-room basis. If you want to make a song and dance out of this- I'd be concerned that the property would be let as a unit- and the current occupants liable for any rent shortfall until such time as a suitable replacement tenant were found.

Its a very unusual situation- I'd dig out a copy of the old lease you originally signed and examine it in detail before I made any assumptions about what the landlady can or cannot do.

At first glance- it would appear to me that the landlady can enter the house at will, without any notice whatsoever- but would have to give you reasonable notice, if she wants to inspect your room......

Check the old lease.

Ps- You do not necessarily have a Part 4 tenancy either- despite the elapse of the lease- do not assume that the conditions attached to such a tenancy apply in your case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ps- unless you are renting the house as a unit- and accept the obligations and entitlements this brings- you would not necessarily have any say whatsoever in the choosing of a new tenant for the vacant room........

I really don't understand why anyone would rent a room in a house tbh......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I went to view a room for my brother around this time last year (he was away at the time and I was trying to get a feel for what was out there) and one place I looked at was shown by the landlady during the day, when the other tenants were out. The house was rented on a room-by-room basis, and the other tenants did not get a say in who was going to get the room.

I also lived in a house that was let on a room-by-room basis, but it was up to the tenant who was leaving to find a new tenant, while those remaining would have the say in who moved in. The landlady was happy for us to do that.

As for the landlady coming in to show the property. I think out of courtesy she should ask you if you minded if she showed the property and ask if it suited you. Even though I rented a room in a house, our landlady still gave notice that she would be arriving to do whatever maintenance was required (painting, gardening, etc.).

I think it depends on the agreement you have with your landlady. Maybe you could have a chat with her and see if she'd be happy for you to show and find the new tenant, if you'd be ok with that? Otherwise, she has the right to show the house/room to potential new tenants, having given you notice that she'll be doing so.

Advertisement