Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best online shops for video games?

Options
  • 26-07-2010 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭

As per thread title:
    I want to buy some games online, but I don't know where is best anymore.
    What online shops have you found the best for buying your games? (boxed only)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I tend to use Play.com, very reasonable prices and I seem to get everything pretty much on time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Haven't bought PAL games in ages. Used to use Play.com but refuse now due to the insane conversion rate and the shipping is awful. Thehut and Aldi are really good, same supplier but sometimes there's a price difference. If you want a game on or before release then gamesnash is the way to go. Amazon can be ok as well. For american games I use videogamesplus.ca, their shipping is stupidly fast but the shipping is per item so no savings on bundles. For asian games playasia are great other than the fact they don't ship Sony products. For that I use NCSX or Yesasia which are a bit more expensive but sometimes yesasia can be comparable since there's no shipping unlike playasia.

I've also heard peopl use Ami Ami:

http://www.amiami.jp/shop/?set=english&vgform=SimpleForm&template=default/product/e_genre_soft_game.html

They have an english site and will ship to europe if you use paypal.

Sometimes you can get absolute bargains from amazon.jp however they don't ship to europe so you have to set up an account with tenso:

http://www.tenso.com/en/landing/

who will receive the goods and ship them to you for a small fee.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Having used play.com for years i use amazon.co.uk now,no way ill use play again
    ,Ive had far too many big delays with them, most recently i had two orders that never got to me.
    Sure i got a refund after a 5 week turnaround :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

Why boxed only? O_o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Not thinking of Steam or any other downloadable service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

While game.co.uk is the one I usually use, I also keep an eye on hotukdeals and cheapassgamer for the best deals when they pop up from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i check either find-games or gamestracker

as this gives me the cheapest place that sells games

i ususally try and get them from www.sendit.com, Asda or play.com as they have no delivery
    but i also buy from Zavvi or the Hut but they have a £1 delivery per item

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Zavvi are decent but can take a while. If a delivery doesn't turn up you have to wait a month before they'll do anything about it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tranny_magnet

I usually order from Zavvi, delivery is 60cent takes 3-5 days & their games are cheaper than most.
    Play.com are also good & delivery is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Polar101

Thehut.com for me most of the time, I don't mind the 80p (or whatever) delivery charge since I can pay in sterling. They usually deliver in 4 days.

I like play.com too but their new conversion rate made things more expensive, so I haven't bought from them for a while now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭JonB

I used amazon a few times and can find some great deals on there. Was really impressed when I got delivery in 3 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    . Thehut and Aldi are really good,

oO....oO

Zavvi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I'd say he meant Asda (who are fantastic!)
    I'll usually just use gamestracker and pick the cheapest one that I've heard of

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Zavvi, Sendit, Asda, Tesco, et al, are all using TheHut's platform anyway, so there shouldn't be much difference.

http://www.thehutgroup.com/news/fastest-growing-digital-company-europe/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Play.com usually have the best price, if not I sometimes find a better deal on amazon

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

None of them accept paypal though...

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

We do ;)

Advertisement