Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This year's TdF - Cleanest in years? or just less wiggle room for dopers?

• 26-07-2010 12:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

Have been hearing a good few anecdotal points on how this years Tour de France was the cleanest in years, but haven't read anything from the likes of Kimmage or Walsh or guys like that on it - does anyone have any links to articles from those kind of journalists and their opinions on this year's Tour?

The kind of anecdotal points I'm talking about are the fact that there were so many French stage winners compared to other years, and how the times were down in general.

Could it be that with stricter controls, blood passports and all that, that the wiggle room is smaller for the dopers? What I mean is that the number of dopers hasn't changed, just the amount of doping that they can do without getting caught has gotten lower. Would this be a more realistic scenario?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

BryanL wrote: »

Very interesting, particularly the link to this.

I have mixed feelings about the power data. On the one hand it's nice to get some real information rather than numbers guestimated from VAM figures (which are themselves questionable), on the other hand it does rather take away the mystique.

Now all we need is a hill TT prologue and we can see what ContaSchleck is really capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

I have been arguing recently that the way the grand tours are developing seems to indicate less doping.Whether this means more people clean or lower levels of doping across the board is debatable.
    Certainly no ridiculous superhuman efforts are obvious.
    Its interesting to see this borne out by the science.(Accepting its limitations).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Or sand bagging just enough so not to stand out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

BostonB wrote: »
    Or sand bagging just enough so not to stand out.

I doubt that very much, I don't think that's possible

I think what showed the lack of doping for me was the final time trial

Last year contador blitzed cancelleras time, while this year he was well down, plus he had no crazed 15 minute full pelt attacks while standing up

It certainly seems he was alot more "human" this tour

And wasn't it great for it!

sorry for the previous typos, fecking predictable spelling on my iphone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

I doubt that very much, I don't think that's possible

I think what showed the lack of doping for me was the final time trial

Last year contador blitzed cancelleras time, while this year he was well down, plus he had no crazed 15 minute pull pelt attacks while standing up

It certainly seems he was alot more "human" this tour

And it wasn't it great for it

Have to agree that Contador looked a lot more human alright, he really looked to be suffering on a lot of the climbs this year - something we really didn't see last year. And the final TT was what you might expect from a climber who's a decent in a TT instead of beating guys who are almost 20kg's heavier and TT experts.

Still doubt he's clean but certainly looks cleaner which is progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Liamo08 wrote: »
    Have to agree that Contador looked a lot more human alright, he really looked to be suffering on a lot of the climbs this year - something we really didn't see last year. And the final TT was what you might expect from a climber who's a decent in a TT instead of beating guys who are almost 20kg's heavier and TT experts.

Still doubt he's clean but certainly looks cleaner which is progress.

nothing to do with him having flu just before the tour and a pan flat TT (with a rising wind) instead of a hilly one :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

nothing to do with him having flu just before the tour and a pan flat TT (with a rising wind) instead of a hilly one :rolleyes:

I'm not really sure what your point is here, are you saying the flu before the tour is responsible for his more human performances? Because he rode a very similar level of TT in the Dauphine before he had flu.

Also Menchov rode in the exact same wind conditions on Saturday and put almost 2 minutes into Contador, so I don't see how the wind can explain away what was a relatively average performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I was looking at the giro, and feeling these guys are much more human, also add in how well Evans was doing, and how he has been doing in general, and how he is known for his cleannliness, it fits doping is well down this year overall.

• Advertisement
Advertisement