Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

windows 7 homegroup transfer speed

• 26-07-2010 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

does anyone have any idea how fast i should be able to transfer
    files using homegroup. at the moment i can transfer at between 1.5-2MB/s.
    Is there a way to speed this up???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

That sounds very slow.. How are the two computers connected...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Same question from myself! Just about getting 2mb/s connected through wireless via a router. I read somewhere that you untick some box in the homegroup control panel to increase speed but forget so ???. I'll follow this thread carefully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

It depends on the speed of the wireless router, and of course the speed of the wireless cards on each computer.

But generally wireless connections are very slow - a transfer speed of around 2-3MB/s is normal for wireless g (54Mb/s) in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭gav240

That sounds very slow.. How are the two computers connected...

connected via wireless router and tried wiring the two laptops with ethernet cables to the router but still slow

someone said to me that the transfer is slow because all data is encrypted
    but i dunno how true that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

Do you have your nic's set up as 100/1000? Or is it set to auto?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,242 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

the maximum theoretical throughput of G is 6.75 MB/s but this depends on outside factors such as any radio interference and the quality of the connection. a Dual-Band router with appropriate adapters will get much closer to that rate whereas a Single-band router and a couple dongles will get you bupkis.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭gav240

Do you have your nic's set up as 100/1000? Or is it set to auto?

i cant seem to find the setting in windows 7
    i went to the properties of my adapter but theres no option there??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I can confirm that homegroup speeds are not that slow normally. I sent a 7 Gig file across the network the other day, and was getting standard LAN speeds (5.E). Now if I could only get the damn homegroup to function 2-way all the time I'd be happy, most times the "server" (pc the group was set up on) cant see the client (pc that joined the group) & I just end up using Network instead of the Homegroup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

I've just created a homegroup and am confused by the transfer rate.

I have a laptop and desktop with wireless dongle both connected to a wireless router.

Both of these machines can get ~8Mb (1.1MB) when downloading from the internet, but transferring a file from one to the other via the router it seems to max out at ~3Mb (400KB)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Overheal wrote: »
    the maximum theoretical throughput of G is 6.75 MB/s but this depends on outside factors such as any radio interference and the quality of the connection.
    And in a single band G situation, that wireless bandwidth is shared on a simplex radio channel. Start a file transfer between two laptops connected wirelessly to one G router and the router will need half of that bandwidth to relay packets to the destination laptop - max theroetical 3.375 MB/s. Add protocol and switching overheads, and perhaps a less than perfect SNR at one of the laptops... 1.5-2MB/s is not unreasonable.

If you set up an ad-hoc wireless network directly between the laptops, transfer speed would double since the router wouldn't have to relay the transfer on the same radio channel. Connecting one of the machines to the router by ethernet cable would double the transfer speed for the same reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    transferring a file from one to the other via the router it seems to max out at ~3Mb (400KB)
    Just checked and seeing similar here - just over 500KB/s. The signal is somewhat low at one though - I'll move both close to the router tomorrow and check if transfer speed improves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

I'm going to use the virtual mini port adapter Windows 7 provides for certain network adapters so I can be connected to two networks at one time using the one physical wireless adapter.

Connect to the router and to an adhoc network.

Advertisement