Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Does xbox-live use up alot of broadband?

• 26-07-2010 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I have a 15 GB cap on my broadband with 3 broadband, my question is does xbox live use up alot of mb when playing games, I mean could I maybe play a 10 hr session and still only have used up a gigabyte maybe?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

I'm fairly certain that its uses very little, I doubt you'd even use a gigabyte in a month. Obviously this doesn't include downloading content or demos,just normal xbox live play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Julez wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain that its uses very little, I doubt you'd even use a gigabyte in a month. Obviously this doesn't include downloading content or demos,just normal xbox live play.

I forgot about downloads alright, I guess I would download the odd expansion pack or multplayer map, once a month probablhy

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ptard

I forgot about downloads alright, I guess I would download the odd expansion pack or multplayer map, once a month probablhy

You've got nothing to worry about then, unless it's a bundle that can take up a gb or so. You probably just have to check how large the file sizes are before trying to download. If you're only using the 15gb for the xbox then I'd say you're safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ChrisJefferies

I'd stick bitmeter2 on the machine that you have your 3 broadband on (if it's a dongle), that will help you keep an eye on it.

Also don't forget three's web site that enable's you to check your monthly usage. I'm at work so I can't remember the link I use at home but you can login to the site automatically as it reads you're sim card/number without you having to type username/passwords etc.

I'll dig it out if you need it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Can you check how much you use online with 3? If you can use it for a day and then check the next day and see how much it uses. I would imagaine it wouldn't be too much at all and reckon it would be ok for the 15GB limit.

• Advertisement

Yep, it's actually a really nice little page you can use with one click. I'll post it out when I get home. Heaven knows where I got the link from as I can't find it anywhere googling it at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

You could play Xbox Live 24/7 for the month and not threaten the limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

When not hosting a game but joining into a server on XBL, you only use about .05/.06Mbps (5/6 Kbps) both up and down. Unless you've a serious gaming addiction, I doubt you'd be able to even use 1gig a month on XBL... so relax and enjoy

The link is https://my3.three.ie/myaccount/selfcare.do

If you're connected through three when you go to this link it should automatically read your sim and log you in. You should be able to use this to calculate your usage from day to day/week/month.

Works great for me and it's accurate enough for me to time mine down to last few hundred MB each month.

I played the xbox hooked up to 3 last night for about 9 hours.
    I recorded my memory usage at 15,193 megabytes (15 gigabytes) at the start of the session.
    At the end of the nine hours it was about 14,783.93 mb.
    So I ended up using roughly about 300 megabytes, is that alot for 9 hours or should it be less when gaming online for that amount of time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I played the xbox hooked up to 3 last night for about 9 hours.
    I recorded my memory usage at 15,193 megabytes (15 gigabytes) at the start of the session.
    At the end of the nine hours it was about 14,783.93 mb.
    So I ended up using roughly about 300 megabytes, is that alot for 9 hours or should it be less when gaming online for that amount of time?

I'd imagine that that is about right. Where you downloading any map packs or anything on a pc?

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    I'd imagine that that is about right. Where you downloading any map packs or anything on a pc?

No but you know when you haven't used xbox live in a while and you log on and it gives you automatic updates for backround stuff, well that happened for about 1-2 minutes so there you have it, I only hope when I play again its less megabytes that get used up

Any one else recorded their 3 usage when hooked up to xbox live, was it more was it less?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭johnjoe96

No but you know when you haven't used xbox live in a while and you log on and it gives you automatic updates for backround stuff, well that happened for about 1-2 minutes so there you have it, I only hope when I play again its less megabytes that get used up

Any one else recorded their 3 usage when hooked up to xbox live, was it more was it less?

i testet mine with modern warfare, i have the 3 mifi and for a team deathmatch that ran the full time was just under 1mb so you sould say 1mb per game if its mw2 give or take and thats including upload too. so serious gaming for 15gig per month.
    hope that helps someone

johnjoe96 wrote: »
    i testet mine with modern warfare, i have the 3 mifi and for a team deathmatch that ran the full time was just under 1mb so you sould say 1mb per game if its mw2 give or take and thats including upload too. so serious gaming for 15gig per month.
    hope that helps someone

Yeh should be alright I guess thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 jackthelad456

It uses very little. Although I would be interested to know how much games like COD MW2 use given that the players host the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Yeah I have a 20 Gig cap and I have never had any problems, and I do play online a fair bit.

Asmodean wrote: »
    Yeah I have a 20 Gig cap and I have never had any problems, and I do play online a fair bit.

20 gig, with 3? i

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

slightly off topic but think few of ye can give me an answer. basically at moment ive very slow internet( was only one availble in this rural area until now!) so xbox live is hit and miss for me. anyway 3 now cover my area. i wnent into 3 shop today to sign up for the 15gb bundle. i asked would xbox live use that up quickly. i was told that 3 does does support xbox live or ps3 as it does not provide a fixed IP????? but some of ye say ye use 3????? also im pretty sure my own internet at moment is dynamic IP??????

km79 wrote: »
    slightly off topic but think few of ye can give me an answer. basically at moment ive very slow internet( was only one availble in this rural area until now!) so xbox live is hit and miss for me. anyway 3 now cover my area. i wnent into 3 shop today to sign up for the 15gb bundle. i asked would xbox live use that up quickly. i was told that 3 does does support xbox live or ps3 as it does not provide a fixed IP????? but some of ye say ye use 3????? also im pretty sure my own internet at moment is dynamic IP??????

3 works perfectly with xbox live except for fifa and pro evo as far as i can tell
    but if its first person shooters your talkin bout its grand, the only thing you might have to do is enter ip and all that good stuff manually but you can find tutorials online to do that, its not as complicated as it sounds, im personally using the 3 mifi and the wireless adapter thats much easier as you dont have to route through your computer and i would recommend that if its possible.
    hope that helps. if you do end up getting the dongle or mifi and get stuck drop me a pm and ill help you out no probs.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

thanks yes its mainly first person shooters:) i will be getting wireless adaptor thats the way its set up now
    thanks

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    thanks yes its mainly first person shooters:) i will be getting wireless adaptor thats the way its set up now
    thanks

no problem;)

I use a 3 dongle, works fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

do i get a thank too if i post something useful? :D

Advertisement