Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cleaning lens' and filters

• 26-07-2010 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

Hi all, what is the best way to clean my filters out in the field? Currently use a special cloth which came with my Dell laptop (figured if it won't scratch a screen it won't scratch my filters but it does leave an odd fibre or two on glass so what type of cloth is best? Would a glasses cloth be better and where would I get a decent sized one? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I use normal micro-fibre lens cloths, found in any opticians. I just go in and ask and they usually give me a few for free. Even though I obviously don't wear glasses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

I use normal micro-fibre lens cloths, found in any opticians. I just go in and ask and they usually give me a few for free. Even though I obviously don't wear glasses

Cheers, I'll try that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Quick tip: When you go in, ask if they have them for 'sale' - and they normally just hand you a few from behind the counter :D Oh, and wear glasses if you have them. Last time I went in with my camera bag around me and no glasses, the girl gave me a funny look but still gave me 2 cloths :D

Hard neck FTW!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

Cigarette papers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭thinktwice

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Cheers, I'll try that.

Me too great advice was just wonderin the same this wk!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If you want e decent sized microfiber cloth, have a look in the cleaning product section of Lidl. They sometimes have a pack of 2 cloths in a box for only a few euro. They are pale green and have a fine pile. Much larger, handier and more effective than the small smooth shiny cloths that Opticians have for glasses.

It isn't the cloth you have to worry about scratching the lens, it's dust that is already sitting on it which the cloth picks up and then scratches the lens with.

It is a good idea to have a can of air to blow away the dust before wiping it with anything. When that isn't available, I use Scotch tape pressed onto the surface and then peeled off.

If you have an incredibly expensive lens, there is a product you can get called Opticlean which you actually paint onto the lens surface as a liquid and allow to dry, then you peel off the dried film. Leaves a lens surface absolutely pristine with no chance of scratching it by wiping dust around. Astronomers use it to clean first surface mirrors in telescopes.

A proportion of fine dust actually consists of minute particles of sand from the Sahara. Not good stuff to be dragging across your lens coatings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

thefly wrote: »
    Cigarette papers

Is that after I wash the whole lens under the tap:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Sand-Paper-Waterproof-240-Grit-50pcs-Pack-PAS0240-.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

+1 for the Lens pen, a soft brush to flick away any dust and the tip to clean the lens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Barname wrote: »

I can vouch for sandpaper it gives your photos an old antique look!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

dazftw wrote: »
    I can vouch for sandpaper it gives your photos an old antique look!

i rub it on my eyeballs for increased effect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Barname wrote: »

Only 240???

120 grit for the hardcore :cool:

I found a large calumet microfiber lens cloth on the Saltees when camping there. Its about 30x30cm and cleans all the lenses really well. Best of all - It was free :pac:

Advertisement