Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General query about repair

Options
  • 26-07-2010 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭

I had an electrical item for 5 months when a fault occurred with it. I returned it to where I bought it and agreed to have it repaired. After getting it back, the same fault reoccurred after a couple of days and it was sent for repair again. Have just gotten it back following the second repair and again, the fault persists.

I just wanted to inquire what the usual procedure would be at this stage. I know it is common that after a number of repairs, one of a refund/replacement would usually be given, but I was wondering is an actual number of repairs specified in any consumer legislation? If not, what would an acceptable number of repairs usually be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

penguin88 wrote: »
    I had an electrical item for 5 months when a fault occurred with it. I returned it to where I bought it and agreed to have it repaired. After getting it back, the same fault reoccurred after a couple of days and it was sent for repair again. Have just gotten it back following the second repair and again, the fault persists.

I just wanted to inquire what the usual procedure would be at this stage. I know it is common that after a number of repairs, one of a refund/replacement would usually be given, but I was wondering is an actual number of repairs specified in any consumer legislation? If not, what would an acceptable number of repairs usually be?
    the original repair should be permenant so after that failed you are in a good position to seek a replacement or a refund and after allowing a second failed repair the retailer would be very silly not to offer to replace at least as if you were to insist on replacement or refund the small claims court would see you as being more than accommodating and very reasonable!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

There is no specific number of times an item has be be repaired. As the poster above said, if it was fixed once it should be permanent. You have been patient with the retailer as you have got it fixed again. I would suggest speaking to a manager and see how that goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    There is no specific number of times an item has be be repaired. As the poster above said, if it was fixed once it should be permanent. You have been patient with the retailer as you have got it fixed again. I would suggest speaking to a manager and see how that goes.
    Once you notice a fault with an item, you should return it as soon as possible to the seller and explain what has happened.

If you have a genuine complaint about faulty goods, you can ignore shop notices such as "No Refunds" or "No Exchanges".

Some shops display these notices during the sales. But remember that these kinds of notices cannot take away any of your statutory rights under the Sale of Goods Act.

In some cases, a repair may easily correct a fault. If the shop offers to repair the item, the repair should be permanent.

If they repair the item but it still doesn’t work properly, for whatever reason, you should be in a better position to look for a replacement or refund.

Before you agree to the shop carrying out a repair, you should put it in writing to them that, if the repair is unsuccessful, or there are any other problems with the item, you reserve your right to look for a replacement or refund.
    http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Shopping/faults.html

any repair must be permenant means that only one repair has to be accepted before another form of redress can be reasonably sought!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,211 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

penguin88 wrote: »

Ring the manager / owner and tell them your not happy and the fault still exists.

If they were anyway decent they would be offering you refund / replacement without question.

If they want to repair it again thats up to you really.

Consumer law is largely based on fairness.

Is it fair that you will have to send the item back a third time?

Have you been fair with them?

There is nothing concrete in the law to state that if the repair is not permanent one of the other r's immediately kicks in.

Like I said if good will exists you will be given a choice in this instance of what you want.

Advertisement